1997 2.8 Heavy steering after PAS pipe change - VR6
I sprung a leak in one of my power steering pipes. I purchased some replacements from a breakers and got a local garage to fit them. (I assume the pipes were correct as breakers said they were, and garage who fitted them didn't mention anything)

The garage said the s/hand pipes were in good condition (which they were), and replaced the P/S fluid with mineral PS fluid which they said was required by VW's.

Since then the steering is heavier than it was before (but still power assisted). Any one have an idea why this would be?

Edited by Pugugly on 16/01/2009 at 19:11

1997 2.8 Heavy steering after power/s pipe change - Sprice
Is it noisier than before caused by air in the system? Maybe loosen PAS reservoir cap, and slowly turn steering wheel from lock to lock a few times. Or maybe the PAS system has lost its pressure by another means?

Check also that the correct stuff was used, there must be sources available online with that info. Most cars tend to use Dexron II or III.
1997 2.8 Heavy steering after power/s pipe change - VR6
Its actually quiter than before.

Not sure what fluid they used, but I told them my car needs special (non-ATF) PS fluid, which they were aware of. Looking in the resevoir, the fluid looks clear, and not green as per the stuff GSF told me to use. And it is way over the 'Max' mark. I'll turkey baster some of the fluid out to see if that makes any difference.

1997 2.8 Heavy steering after power/s pipe change - Peter D
Over filling is not the problem but suck some out to see the colour. The weong type will cause the seals to swell in the rack and it will stiffen. However your has happened a bit too quick for that but check the fluid colour. Yes it should be green. Regards peter