1998-2.2td - major engine problems - davidlynes
hi, i have a renault espace 2.2 diesel, with a major problem. i recently purchased the car, drove it home 250 miles and put it on the drive for 2 days and went out to start it up. it sounded as if there was a bag full of spanners in the engine and there was white deisel smoke coming from the exhaust, enough to hide the vehicle in a few seconds. the timing has been checked but hasnt moved, no presure in the crank case, turbo is ok, no problems with the cooling side of the engine, just cannt understand why!!!!
it has been checked by renault, and 3 independents and no one knows what it is!!!
any suggestions apart from topping myself would be greatly recieved

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 15/01/2009 at 18:50

98 2.2 1998-2.2td - major engine problems - help n - piston power
Don't top yourself just set fire to it!!

Is the glow system working ok? unburnt fuel.

Have you done a compression test?
98 2.2 1998-2.2td - major engine problems - help n - Alby Back
Have to say, I'm with bigtee re the fire suggestion....

David, first of all you have my every sympathy. I had one of these wretched cars for two miserable years. I had more problems with it than all my other cars I've had put together in 33 years of motoring. Every time one problem was eventually resolved, another appeared. Mine was brand new when I got it and was fortunately therefore under warranty. It was off the road regularly and the Renault dealership were all but useless.

I'm guessing, and it is only that, from the description of the symptoms that you have a problem with at least one injector.

My strongest and most serious recommendation is to find a way of getting rid of it as soon as you can.

It is a great pity these cars are so prone to problems because they are really very useful when they do work.
98 2.2 1998-2.2td - major engine problems - help n - Armitage Shanks {p}
Do a Technical Forum search for this. You will find 150+ posts from disgruntled and impoverished owners of this truly dreadful heap of junk, the diesel one anyway. Also check out your rights re getting it fixed by the supplying dealer, or was it a private sale?. HJ's FAQs covers this.

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 15/01/2009 at 20:12

98 2.2 1998-2.2td - major engine problems - help n - davidlynes
hi, a compresion test was ok and glow system working fine, thanx for your reply
98 2.2 1998-2.2td - major engine problems - help n - injection doc
whiteish to blueish smoke could ne the diesel system airated. Did it fire up on the button or was it reluctent?
do you know the compression tests results ? apart from OK were they over 350psi?
98 2.2 1998-2.2td - major engine problems - help n - Pugugly
Was it bought from a trader ?