Not as good as a Terios? - stunorthants26
This amused me rather alot, no offense to any Ford lovers.

One of my customers, a long time Fiesta owner, rang me up yesterday thanking me for some recent advice. I just said that as she was thinking of replacing her 03 Fiesta with a brand new one, have a look at the Daihatsu while shes looking over the Ford ( in same showroom ).
Now I didnt think much of it at the time, but when she rang me up and said she had changed her car I thought she meant for a Sirion. But no.
She had a look at the new Fiesta. Hated the styling, found it very claustrophobic and terrible visability, not to mention expensive and a bit tight inside. She even gave it a good test drive but just couldnt get on with it.

She then spied a Terios and liking the initial look of it, asked to take it for a spin.
Her exact comments were ' it felt just like my car as soon as I pulled away'. She said that it cost the same as the Fiesta but was much bigger, excellent visability and the clincher apparently was the 5 year warranty, 5 year roadside assistance and 5 year free servicing.

It just amused me that someone could go in for a Fiesta and come out with a Terios thinking it is the better car and yet, read press reports and you would think the Fiesta was the best car in the world. Apparently you cant make a universally liked car and can even alienate your existing customers.
Not as good as a Terios? - CarNovice28
Interesting that she 'upsized' to a 4x4 that will probably cost her twice as much to run.

Yet, if she fell in love with it, not much you can say!

She only does 2-3k a year so I wouldnt say it will cost her very much extra to run on fuel.
Maybe a little extra on road tax but its said many times its a small part of running costs.
With free servicing and a long warranty, it may well be cheaper than the Fiesta over 5 years. I cant see it will cost alot more for sure.
Not as good as a Terios? - Altea Ego
except when it comes to selling it or trade in time.....
Perhaps but she bought the car she wanted and liked. Ford dont retain value any better than average, theres too many around.
Perhaps but she bought the car she wanted and liked. Ford dont retain value any
better than average theres too many around.

better than korean stuff which is, frankly, worth shirt buttons at re-sale time.
Not as good as a Terios? - carl_a
better than korean stuff which is frankly worth shirt buttons at re-sale time.

Koren stuff depreciates much less virtually any other brand!
Not as good as a Terios? - Lygonos
It's Japanese.
Not as good as a Terios? - Alby Back
I cant see it will cost a lot more for sure.

Depends what value she puts on credibility......

;-)

Off out now.....
Not as good as a Terios? - CarNovice28
... in his Lada Riva from 1985...!!!

Edited by CarNovice28 on 13/01/2009 at 13:39

She lives on a country estate. Badge means zero - the fact that it will do a bit of off-roading and has four-wheel drive however, does give it credibility. Its a world were the lottery car is a Toyota Hilux!
Only kidding Stu !!

;-)
>She lives on a country estate. Badge means zero - the fact that it will do a bit of off-?>roading and has four-wheel drive however, does give it credibility. Its a world were the >lottery car is a Toyota Hilux!

Oh i see-

She didnt really want or need small front wheel drive car when she went in then. No wonder a softroader came out better then

Make your mind up stu. Your attempts to promote korean stuff over a Ford is looking a little threadbare.
I didnt say anything about what she needs, I said that where she lives, having a useful car is far more credible than having a badge in response to a credibility comment. Id suggest you read the entire thread before adding to it so you are aware of the context!

AE - Daihatsu is Japanese as you well know. I am not trying to promote 'Korean' cars, I simply found it an amusing buying decision.
Stu

you title the thread "not as good as a terios" as if to suggest the fiesta is in some way inferior to the Terious. Your dislike of anything european is well documented.

you then state that where she lives is 4x4 country and suits her better.

Thats a pretty good summary of the thread.
You missed out the question mark AE - I question it myself as on the whole I doubt a Terios is as good overall. However, I was recounting an experience of someone I know who came to the more suprising of the two choices.

>>you then state that where she lives is 4x4 country and suits her better<<

Actually what I stated was that where she lives a 4x4 is more credible imagewise.
I have not stated anywhere that a 4x4 suits her better. Thats something that you have made up by yourself. The only person who stated what suits her better, is her, since she bought the Terios.
Not as good as a Terios? - doctorchris
I can see exactly where she's coming from. OK, I've not been in the new Fiesta but looking at it, I suspect the interior will be similar to the Corsa, which I have driven. I hated the cramped, claustrophobic interior with poor visibility to the rear. I much prefer the interior of my, smaller, Panda which is taller and less claustrophobic.
As she does very few miles the performance and handling of the car are probably not important to her but the feel of being inside it is.
Not as good as a Terios? - Mapmaker
>>She lives on a country estate.

This could mean many things:

1. Council estate on the edge of small country town.
2. Modern Barrat estate on edge of small country town.
3. In the lodge/above the stables behind a huge country pile.
4. In the pile itself.

Should have thought that an Imprezza would have done the job better.
>>Should have thought that an Imprezza would have done the job better.<<

I think it was the warranty bits and bobs that were a big factor which the Impreza doesnt have - despite only having done 9k in 4 years, her Fiesta let her down several times, so I imagine that also had some bearing on the warranty emphasis.
Also, she enthused about the high driving position, was very taken with that aspect of it.
Not as good as a Terios? - Mapmaker
Forrester then. (a.k.a. coffin mounted high-up on wheels)
She got her Terios for £12000 - Im sure if she could have got a Forester for that she would have done, but I dont think they do them that cheap!
Not as good as a Terios? - Lygonos
I got a brand new 2.5 Turbo 3 mths ago for 14k....
Not as good as a Terios? - Waino
This could mean many things>>

I like it! I was was born in a council-owned estate of prefabs on the edge of a Leicestershire pit-village - but, from now on, it'll be "I was born on a country estate" ;-)
I own an old country estate.

Well, it's old, it's an estate and it has mud on it.....
Not as good as a Terios? - Waino
I own an old country estate. Well it's old it's an estate and it has mud on it.....>>

Brilliant, Humph, my filthy old Mondy qualifies me there as well ;-)
Not as good as a Terios? - jbif
I own an old country estate. Well it's old it's an estate and it has mud on it.....>>

Humph
Has a Lady friend been seen in it too? [not your friend's wife who you fancy].

Edited by jbif on 13/01/2009 at 16:10

I have no designs on my friends wife. I may have foolishly mentioned on here a while back that she was highly educated, french and easy on the eye but despite that drove a Jimny.......

The only lady to have been seen in my car of late is my wife and I presume, her mother, who is not french or.....any of the above....

Not quite sure where this is going...

;-)
Not as good as a Terios? - gordonbennet

my wife
and I presume her mother who is not french or.....any of the above...

Oh dear when in hole....stop.

It might be as well to get PU to edit that Humph, your wife no doubt a fine and lovely woman may not take too kindly to being regarded as not highly educated and not easy on the eye..

;)
The commas are significant GB......
Not as good as a Terios? - gordonbennet
The commas are significant

Thats alright then, the screams in the night from Cheshire won't be you then.;)
No, they'll be from jbif when I get hold of him.....

;-)