98 1.6 Replacing rear susp trailing arm bushes - Vinnie
I need to replace the Trailing Arm bushes in the rear suspension arms of a Rover 416.
These are the large rubber bearings approximately in the middle of the suspension arms.
Can the replacement be done in place with DIY tools or do I need any special tools for this, does the suspension arm have to come off to press the bushes out & in.
Any help or advice would be welcome, Vinnie,

slt

Edited by Pugugly on 14/01/2009 at 22:42

98 1.6 Replacing rear susp trailing Arm bushes - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Can be done in situ but I wouldnt recommend trying. Its a fag to take the arm out but if time is not the enemy and you are doing it yourself its a simple nut and bolt job. Remember to mark the position of the front mount of the arm before you undo the bolts as there is adjustment for rear alignment on thos mount.
The same naff arrangement onFord focus on the other hand should be done in situ, there is a tool for the job. Trying to release the arm to get it off will end in tears as all the bolts and bushes rust into position and can finish up costing £500+ by the time you have replaced the lower arms, upper arms and trailing arms plus all the nuts and bolts.Surprisingly Ford dont sell the bushes on their own, aftermarket ones are about £10 a side.
98 1.6 Replacing rear susp trailing Arm bushes - Vinnie
Hi Andrew, thanks for the info. Can the bushes be knocked out & in with a hammer or does it need special tools please?
Thanks again,, Vinnie
98 1.6 Replacing rear susp trailing Arm bushes - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
In an ideal world they should be pressed in and out but a suitably sized drift (tube or socket) and 2lb hammer will suffice. IIRC they drift out towards the centre of the car and vice versa on installation.
98 1.6 Replacing rear susp trailing Arm bushes - Civic8
>>Can the bushes be knocked out & in with a hammer or does it need special tools

The tool for the job is about £150 last time I looked,but I used hammer and drift,taking it easy on the job took me around 2-2 1/2 hours to do and they are not hard to do funny enough hardest part of the job was removing the handbrake cable the spring wouldnt stay back to remove cable it kept slipping back,other wise its an easy job IMO for anyone
98 1.6 Replacing rear susp trailing Arm bushes - captain pugwash
Have a look at this;
Put into google search'Replacing Honda Suspension Bushes' and the 3rd website down-forums mgrover,click onto that.You may find this useful,and any links.