2005 1.9 CDTi water pump siezed, cambelt snapped - woodleymike
Has anyone out there had a similar to problem to this? At 50000 miles (and 4 years old) my water pump siezed throwing the timing belt off and wrecking the engine. Vauxhall, of course, do not want to know.

I believe that this engine is also fitted into come Alfa's SAAB's and Fiats

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 11/01/2009 at 21:08

2005 1.9 CDTi water pump siezed, cambelt snapped - billythechid
Unacceptable as it is, you are unlikely to get much help from Vauxhall. Are others able to offer advice on the legal position?

How much is the car realistically worth?
How much is the mechanical repairs likely to cost?
Is it worth repairing?

2005 1.9 CDTi water pump siezed, cambelt snapped - SpamCan61 {P}
When you say 'Vauxhall don't want to know' do you mean the local dealer or Vauxhall themselves? If the former, and you have full main dealar service history, I'd very politely write to the latter in sunny Luton, pointing out that this sort of thing shouldn't fail at this mileage , very dissappointed, blah blah; you may get somewhere. Nothing to lose at this point :-(
2005 1.9 CDTi water pump siezed, cambelt snapped - bathtub tom
>>I'd very politely write to the latter in sunny Luton

Is anybody still there?
2005 1.9 CDTi water pump siezed, cambelt snapped - SpamCan61 {P}
>>I'd very politely write to the latter in sunny Luton
Is anybody still there?

Hopefully still a few :-

www.vauxhall.co.uk/vaux/pages/global/contactUs/cor...p
2005 1.9 CDTi water pump siezed, cambelt snapped - rtj70
Yes - but they don't make cars there only vans.
2005 1.9 CDTi water pump siezed, cambelt snapped - 659FBE
Take the old water pump bearing unit to bits and see if they put any grease in it. If there is a problem in this area, a few really detailed photographs together with a polite but insistent letter to GM might achieve something.

If you took such evidence to a small claims court together with a sectioned new water pump, you would probably win. You have to really bully these corporations to get anywhere, and you may quite reasonably decide it's not worth the effort.

2005 1.9 CDTi water pump siezed, cambelt snapped - madf
NO NO NO
Do NOT touch the pump.

If you want it examined, pay an independent engineer to do it.

If you do it yourself , you are neither independent or an engineer so your evidence will be challenged on that basis.
2005 1.9 CDTi water pump siezed, cambelt snapped - Dynamic Dave
There is mention over on vectra-c.com of belts failing prematurely on the 1.9 engine, and because of this some people are changing their belts earlier than the recommendation (which is 80,000 or 100,000 miles)

Also mention in the Car-by-Car Breakdown.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=526

"On 1.9CDTI, timing belt drives waterpump and waterpump failure can fling it off in as little as 40k miles, wrecking the engine. By December 2008 this was becoming increasingly common at about 4 years old and circa 50k - 60k miles. So engines need new belts, tensioners, pulleys and waterpumps before 4 years old or 50k miles."

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 12/01/2009 at 12:58

2005 1.9 CDTi water pump siezed, cambelt snapped - Snakey
Damn, Just changed the cambelt on my 2004 1.9 CDTI at 70k for peace of mind, but not the water pump. So much for peace of mind now!

Mechanic said he'd examined the pump and it seemed ok though.