Morrisons new bio-diesel - Big Norm
I was at a SEAT dealer the other day and there was a new notice saying if you use the newest type of Morrisons bio-diesel you will invalidate the warranty on your fuel system, including various bits of the engine. The notice said this new diesel contains 30% (I think that was the proportion) of bio diesel (mixed in with the regular stuff) which was not compatable with the engine.
Morrisons new bio-diesel - ifithelps
Saw a similar notice in a Ford dealer yesterday.
Morrisons new bio-diesel - Hamsafar
www.morrisons.co.uk/Store-Finder/Store-services/Pe.../

None around me or I'd give it a go. Apparently Citroen have given it their blessing.
Morrisons new bio-diesel - loskie
Bio diesel now contains oils from rendered livestock and animal by products. In fact whole fleets of busses in Austria have been run on animal derived biodiesel for years. I'm all for this as it provides a valuable product from stuff that was once waste(and costly to dispose of) but I'm surprised our vegan and vegitarian friends and deliberately provocative/or insensitive remark removed

YET!

Edited by Pugugly on 11/01/2009 at 14:03

Morrisons new bio-diesel - daveyjp
I was given a leaflet from my Audi dealer - in no uncertain terms it said don't use it. More pump confusion and misfuelling potential?
Morrisons new bio-diesel - Altea Ego
So who the hell is going to buy this stuff?

I need to talk to the marketing director at Morrisons, I have the men in white coats ready to take him away.
Morrisons new bio-diesel - Rattle
People with proper diesel engines perhaps? Like the old XUD where you don't need to fit £2000 fuel pumps after 8 years.
and there are how many? xud's still running around?

now?

in 12 months?

24 months?

Oh look lets invest in a declining market.
I can see three cars with XUD engines just by looking out of my bedroom window! People that want this cheap fuel or cheapstakes, and probably will have a cheap stake car like an XUD 1.9 306 without a turbo!

OK I woke up on the wrong side of bed this morning, I just find the entire fuel saving thing rather comical, I can understand it if you do 20,000 miles a year, but you see a lot of people on here buying these over complicated HDI diesels to 5000 miles a year in it, then pay the price when it all goes horribly wrong.

As for bus engines they tend to be a lot more robust, UK North (an old Manchester bus company who got banned) once ran their entire fleet on chp fat oil until the tax man found out they had not being paying duties on it!
Audi say you can use it on all pre 2005 cars. It is the god forsaken Diesel Particulate Filter which doesn't like it.
Morrisons new bio-diesel - Armitage Shanks {p}
The DPF doesn't care - it is the up to 30,000 psi injection pump that gets grumpy!
Morrisons new bio-diesel - Happy Blue!
....but I'm surprised our vegan and vegetarian friends and those from certain religions aren't up in arms about it....

Why?

As a Jew, I have no problem in buying fuel made from pig fat. I'm not eating it.

Vegetarians don't eat meat, but wear leather, as that is a by-product of the meat industry, so they probably won't mind either.
Vegetarians don't eat meat but wear leather as that is a by-product of the meat
industry so they probably won't mind either.

vegans dont
Morrisons new bio-diesel - mss1tw
If there wasn't any animal farming I guess the land could be used for fuel crops. Maybe sealed off and ultra intensively farmed, as long as it didn't get into the food chain or surrounding areas.
Crops used for fuel are also farming. Look at whats happening in S America 1000's of Ha of forest being ripped out to plant soya for bio fuels. How is that good for the environment.

Edited by loskie on 11/01/2009 at 13:57

as a meat eater and working in agriculture it baffles me that vegetarians are against the consumption of meat but will wear leather and eat dairy products. It's as if they cannot make up their mind.
Morrisons new bio-diesel - Pugugly
Its a lifestyle, religious or moral choice some people don't want to eat meat that's all - and its certainly not a debating thread for this website.

Edited by Pugugly on 11/01/2009 at 14:09

Morrisons new bio-diesel - b308
Back to the OP I discussed this on another Forum, seems that the older (roughly pre 2006) VAG engined cars can use it, but not the newer ones, but there are exceptions to that, so check... Pug/Citroen seem to be ok, but if you have a Motability car then its an absolute no-no, though a friend of mine is trying to get that changed for his Berlingo... without much luck at the moment, though!
Morrisons new bio-diesel - Pugugly
There's a label on the inside of the filler cap of my Roomie warning against it - imagine it would be the same on any non-compliant VAG car.
Morrisons new bio-diesel - BobbyG
Ditto SEAT.
Ditto SEAT.
Mine's a SEAT. The reason I posted is that the dealer notice said the standard Morrisons bio-diesel is ok (despite the warning on the fuel cap) but the new stuff isn't.
Morrisons new bio-diesel - Manatee
Not sure what 'standard Morrison's bio-diesel' is, but EN590 diesel must contain between 2.5% and 5% bio-diesel as far as I know. The DPF cars can obviously run on EN590 so in that sense they can run on bio-diesel.

The Morrisons B30 presumably meets a different standard and not EN590.
Not sure what 'standard Morrison's bio-diesel' is but EN590 diesel must contain between 2.5% and
5% bio-diesel as far as I know.

That's what standard Morrisons bio-diesel is - I used the term to distinguish it from the new stuff. The proportion of bio-diesel in the new mix is what causes the problem according to SEAT.
Morrisons new bio-diesel - cattleman6
Pugugly. I remember when I bought my incredibly good reliable Seat Toledo TDiSE at the end of 1999 in Devon,they warned me not to use Sainbury diesel. Sorry i am straying away from the subject. In these hard times I don't blame manufacturers being strict though! They are certainly having a terrible time.
oftenbased on ignorance of agricultural practices. But point taken this forum isn't the place.
Just wondered how many people were aware biodiesel was made from animal fat not just rape seed oil which is the common misconception.
Most is made from rape and soyabean oil, I don't think much is made from animal fat. www.pdm-group.co.uk/ was a UK pioneer, and the feedstock they used was right at the end of the chain, after MRM, pet food etc... it was mainly slops and 'unfit for animal consumption' i.e. fallen stock, diseased carcass and factory sweepings.

Edited by Hamsafar on 11/01/2009 at 17:50

Morrisons new bio-diesel - cattleman6
Very well said Espada111{P} I enjoyed your comment!
Morrisons new bio-diesel - Mr X
And is this diesel any cheaper as it has less real oil in it ?. Nope, thought not. Can you hear that ripping sound ?
Morrisons new bio-diesel - PoloGirl
Sticker inside the fuel cap of my 06 Golf says no to all biodiesel.
Morrisons new bio-diesel - rtj70
Except all diesel has to currently have biodiesel in it by law. I think it is only 2.5% and will go up to 5% in the future.

My Mondeo handbook warned not to use biodiesel but you have to use some.
Morrisons new bio-diesel - Bill Payer
What is actually the problem with these types of diesel - I thought they were hight lubricity (just made that word up!) than ordinary diesel?

My Merc C270CDi (which I appreciate is a fairly old engine) seems to return its best MPG figures on Sainsbury's City diesel.
I think the marques warn against using high mixture or all bio-diesel. Up to 5% should be fine as it is just diesel.
Morrisons new bio-diesel - Rats
***People with proper diesel engines perhaps? Like the old XUD where you don't need to fit £2000 fuel pumps after 8 years. ***

***I can understand it if you do 20,000 miles a year, but you see a lot of people on here buying these over complicated HDI diesels to 5000 miles a year in it, then pay the price when it all goes horribly wrong.***

I'm with rattle on this one, I loved the old PSA XUD engines, did over 100k in my Citroen BX and it was still running sweet when I chopped it in, also regularly drove Peugeot 305s some of which had over 250k on the clock.

Thinking back were these XUDs, or were the XUDs later, in the Xantia etc??

Edited by Rats on 12/01/2009 at 13:41

Morrisons new bio-diesel - oldnotbold
"Thinking back were these XUDs, or were the XUDs later, in the Xantia etc??"

Early to mid Xantias and 406s had the 1.9 XUD, then came the 2.1 engine, and then the 2.0 HDi engine.

740 miles last week in my waste veg-oil powered 405 1.9 XUD!

Edited by oldnotbold on 12/01/2009 at 14:30

Morrisons new bio-diesel - quizman
Weren't these lovely ZUD engines the ones that threw the pistons out of the side of their blocks?
There was a problem in some of the 99 built XUDs I think if I remmeber reading HJ's CBC correctly but it was isolated. The XUD was the first diesel to offer some decent refinement and was found from the mid 80's on PSA cars I think.

They were a lot more refinded than the Ford 1.8 unit and the Perkins Prima O series lump
Morrisons new bio-diesel - quizman
>>>They were a lot more refinded than the Ford 1.8 unit and the Perkins Prima O series lump

I agree, Rattle. I had a Citroen ZX 1.9TDI, it's engine was much nicer and more economical than the Focus TDCI which followed it.
The suspension on the ZX was not very long lasting though, it failed on it's first MOT!
My brother once had a Citroen BX 1.7 turbo diesel. Had plenty of go and fairly refined for its day. There were bigger diesels from Citroen but the turbo was the 1.7.

Replaced with a Pug Mi16 though - now that shifted ;-)
Morrisons new bio-diesel - PhilW
"I loved the old PSA XUD engines, did over 100k in my Citroen BX and it was still running sweet when I chopped it in,"

And I did 170k and 140k in my 2 BXs before selling them on (I know the 170k one did over 200k because I sold it to a friend - and he remained a friend!!) - but our Xantia HDi, now with over 100k on it is going to have to keep going a fair bit longer yet!
Much as I loved the old Bxs, the HDi is far better - in performance and economy.
By the way our mileages are nothing for an XUD - quote below taken from "French Car forum a few years ago:-
"I drive a BX diesel which I use as a taxi. It's my 5th. BX 19 diesel & all gave me the greatest satisfaction in both reliability & economy. I still have my 1987 BX which I cannibalise for spares, not that I need many. It was retired for 'scrap' after a crash @ 350,000 miles. It's replacement was sold off for less than the value of its parts @ 450,000 miles; one has been retired to my driveway @ 740,000miles & my current workhorse is now @ 380,000 miles. I've never changed a wheel-bearing, only one gearbox and a few suspension bits; one major engine overhaul; two head-jobs but never a tow-home failure"