03 1.0 Timing chain question - SanLeo64
Hi there,

My timing chain needs replacing (The car is now cutting out) and my regular garage quoted me E1120. 2nd quote was E600 as it requires 2 chains, 3rd quote was E400 including a service - this guy said it only needs adjusting on the computer. Who do I believe? I dont want to pay E400 and end up going back to the original garage. Appreciate any help.
03 1.0 Timing chain question - inanimate
the timing chains 2 on this engine are a common problem and it is quite a big job as the tensioners as well as the 2 chains need changing as well as the sump coming off to do the job a good fitter will knock this job off in less than 8 hours by the way only use nissan parts for best results and change the oil and filter twice as often as nissan recommend good luck
inanimate
03 1.0 Timing chain question - bathtub tom
Is this the model made up to 2003, or from 2003.

If the former, on the one I've done, I found all the wear to be on the middle chain wheel and top tensioner. The teeth were badly 'hooked'. The old chains seemed to have little if any wear.

I think I could have got away with changing just the middle chain wheel, and the top tensioner. That would certainly been enough to quieten it for quite a while.