Car park rash - any tips - Nsar
Filling up the other day some stupid idiot rubbed her stupid little Ka against my wheel arch.

I got her address details and she agreed to pay for the repairs but looking at it with the dirt rubbed off it's a very minor abrasion of the plastic wheel arch trim. To get it back to original with abit of paint will probably be £100 via a mate in the trade and then she might renege on the agreement.

Alternatively I can just put it down to experience and try to polish it out - any tips?
Car park rash - any tips - teabelly
If she reneges just pursue it via her insurance company. Don't mention the agreement for her to pay as they often take that as a sign that they have been absolved of their legal duty to cough up. She has to report the accident to her insurance company anyway, so they'll load her for damaging someone else's car.
Car park rash - any tips - jbif
... they often take that as a sign that they have been absolved of their legal duty to cough up ... >>

Insurance company cannot do so, under Fourth EC Motor Directive . Forum search will reveal the relevant EU directive mentioned in HJ's faq:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=126

Car park rash - any tips - teabelly
What year did that come into force? Last non fault claim I had several years ago did mention they would weasel out of all co-operation if I did a deal with the third party. Useful to know anyway :-)
Car park rash - any tips - Nsar
I really haven't got the energy or time to chase some idiot for £100 worth of damage. If she won't abide by her own promise then it's going to get messy.
Car park rash - any tips - captain chaos
If it's only £100 she would more than likely be relieved she's got off so lightly and pay up. I'd go for it Nsar
Car park rash - any tips - Armitage Shanks {p}
Ah the joys of having time and energy! So far it is only clicking buttons on a computer but I am pursuing some defaulter for £3 thru ebay/PayPal It is my money and I want it back!
Car park rash - any tips - charlesb
Good Luck with your Ebay defaulter.

Last time I tried pursuing a bad Ebayer I was out of pocket £60 for the item and to add insult to injury, Paypal charged me £8 for the privilege.

And the way they did it was to say the credit card was used without consent..... handy that one isn't it. Surely entering all correct CC details means you've agreed to purchase item.

Watch out that Paypal don't charge you an administration fee.
Car park rash - any tips - Armitage Shanks {p}
Thanks for that input CB. I will write it off to experience rather than pay fees larger than the amount I am pursuing, obviously!
Car park rash - any tips - b308
Unless you enter concors competitions I'd suggest that if its not down to bare metal you just leave it until you come to sell and get it done then... chances are it may well have company by then (after reading that other thread on trolleys!).
Car park rash - any tips - Rattle
Lifes too short, that garage still owe me £100 but the only way I can get it is back is by proofing the car they were trying to sell me was a shed. There are other ways to settle it in my mind :).

Sometimes life is too short to spend time chasing trivial debts, not that £100 is trivial. If it was me if the person I damaged the car off was being unfair and unpleasent I would tell them to eff off and the let the insurance deal with it but if they said I could just pay them £100 I would pay up in an instant.

My cousin damaged somebody';s car when drunk once, he scatched some paint work on the roof, neighbour demanded £2500 damages (it was a 14 year old Volvo) so he said just take me to court he is not paying. It went to court, my cousin giot fined £200 towards damages and a caution for crinimal damage, neighbour got warned for trying to pervert the court of justice and for trying to fraduently claim for unfair damages as the judge had seen the evidence which amounted to a tiny scratch.

Said cousin learnt to not drink 10 pints and 6 double vodkas on a night out! Not been in trouble since.

The neighbours had fallen out before so my drunken cousin thought it would be a good idea to stick a traffic cone on his neighbours roof! He got spotted, apologised and offered to pay for any damage straight away. As I rememebr the neighbour got into a lot of trouble over it and was made to pay the court costs as the judge deemed that although my cousin was a drunken idiot he made very reasonable offers to pay and get the damaged fixed and it should never have gone as far as court.

One thing I like about having an old banger is that if some bimbo scraped me on a car park I shall just tell her to buy me a drink instead, we fall in love and the rest is history, although my imagination does run wild....

Edited by Rattle on 07/01/2009 at 12:26

Car park rash - any tips - bathtub tom
I had something similar.

A woman opened a car door into my front wing as I was driving into an adjacent parking spot, such that before I could stop the movement of my car had caused a sizeable dent. She offered to pay for the damage.

She didn't like the three hundred quid quotes and said it'll have to go through insurance.

By the time the damage was repaired, she was claiming I'd driven into her open door!

The accident repair shop had no evidence, other than an invoice 'to repair front wing and bumper'.

My insurance company were prepared to roll over and accept her word.

Was I glad I'd taken those photos of the damage before it was repaired - all to the side of the front wing, and the front bumper where it wrapped round under the side of the wing.

Next time I'll get a written statement.
Car park rash - any tips - oldnotbold
"One thing I like about having an old banger is that if some bimbo scraped me on a car park I shall just tell her to buy me a drink instead, we fall in love and the rest is history, although my imagination does run wild.... "

It happened to a friend in the company car park. I forget who crashed into who, but the ice was broken, they went for a drink, and have been married for nearly fifteen years. Quite a big drugs/OTC/FMCG company, so although they'd seen each other around, I don't think they'd ever spoken.
Car park rash - any tips - L'escargot
Forecourt rash, surely?
Car park rash - any tips - Alby Back
I'm still wondering why the Ka was stupid. The driver may have been, but the car, well it's just a car really. Ours has never shown any tendencies to make parking decisions on it's own.

;-)

Irritating though. Sorry to hear your tale Nsar.
Ka's are stupid as they have big plastic mouldings covering the factory built rust. My ex had a Ka and she had a few bumps with it.
Car park rash - any tips - Alby Back
Must have been a fairly rubbish driver then. There can't be many cars easier to drive. My wife likes hers and has so far managed not to park it where the space is already occupied. Calling a car stupid is just a bit, well in my opinion anyway, stupid. With the notable exception of Smarts that is. They really are.......

;-)
.*********
What happened to that post then?

Swearfilter caught it - naughty naughty. smokie

Edited by smokie on 07/01/2009 at 14:06

:( Well what a waste of a post, it was highly relevent too, it was about an incident when my ex in a Ka crashed into somebody at night but never told the person, so the poor swearworld woke up to find a his car badly damaged in the morning.
Car park rash - any tips - ablandy
Came back to my car today, to find some muppet with an r reg vectra had scraped it when parking in the hospital car park- there are now some nice white scratches on the side of the bumper. It was obviously the car parked next to me. It had matching scrape on the front side bumper (they had driven in nose first).

I have photos of my car, their car and their numberplate. Then i thought what can i do about it. I left a note stating what i believe to have happened and asked them to contact me. Apart from that i dont think there is anything i can do. I have no way of proving it was them, it is likely to have been caused by this car but it could reasonably be argued that a car had been in the space, done the damage and then left to be replaced by this one.

So my 6month ish old car has now got a wound. Its a lease car as well, so i have no option but to get it fixed. Will leave it for a while though (its the plastic bumper, so no rust issues)

Anyone want to hazard a guess at the chances of them calling? i reckon there is no chance but will wait and see.
Car park rash - any tips - 1400ted
car well it's just a car really. Ours has never shown any tendencies to make
parking decisions on it's own.

You obviously buy more intelligent cars than me Humph. I had a '79 Volvo 340 which didn't seem to like where I had parked it in my path. It managed to get it's own handbrake off, rolled a few yards and cracked a concrete panel in the front of the garage.
Ted
Car park rash - any tips - bathtub tom
Look on the bright side - it probably didn't reduce its' value. ;>)