99 1.8 Won't start - Andrew62
Haven't used the car for a couple of weeks over Christmas and now it won't start (been garaged but still cold I guess). Hope someone can point me in the right direction (I am pretty clueless about things under the bonnet, so treat me gently!).

There seems to be plenty of battery power and the ignition system comes on OK (dashboard lights all OK), but when the key is turned to fire the engine there is a horrible high pitched "grating" sound from somewhere under the bonnet (seems to be in front of the driver but it is difficult to tell) - my best description of the noise! The engine doesn't fire (not that I have persevered trying for more than a second or two with the noise).

Any idea what this could be? If so, is it easily fixable by a novice d-i-yer (without a lot of technical equipment/ramps etc)? Expensive?

Thanks.
99 1.8 Won't start - Dynamic Dave
when the key is turned to fire the engine there is a horrible high pitched "grating" sound from somewhere under the bonnet

Could it be the starter motor not engaging with the flywheel?

Have you tried bump starting the car to see if it will start?
99 1.8 Won't start - piston power
Stick it in 2nd gear hand brake off and rock the car make it move a little, this will turn the flywheel and starter.

Then try to start with your clutch pedal down disengaging the gearbox. it should spin a little faster.
99 1.8 Won't start - Andrew62
Thanks for the quick replies.

I'll try your suggestions tonight. Here's hoping....!

Cheers
99 1.8 Won't start - joee
any luck? i seem to have the same problem, it makes a really loud staticty noise.. like an electric shock noise is my best description.. batterys also dead as the alarm is not working now.. as in not flashing.. havent driven the car in like a month now
99 1.8 Won't start - sumpnut
joee the first thing you must do is charge the battery then you may find there is nothing wrong.