automatic mondeo - weeali
Does anyone have any idea what could be the most likely problem with my R plate 2.0L LX auto mondeo which has been changing gear violently with the O/D light flashing? This only really happens when the car is warmed up on motorway journeys, temp guage is reading normal. Ford want £90 to check it out! Bit pricey i think. A branch of Mr clutch done a free diagnostic (lasting all of 30 secs) and reckoned it was knackered and £980 would mend it! Any answers would be much appreciated.
automatic mondeo - Stevieboy
From my own reseach on the subject, the auto box in the Mondeo is known to be weak. I did want an auto on my Focus (which shares the same autobox as the mondeo) but after reading many horror stories about the Mondeo box failing after 60/80k decided to stick with a manual box.

£980 sounds quite cheap compared to the Ford £1,600 cost.
automatic mondeo - El Hacko
in this hi-tech age when all cars are so much more reliable, it still amazes that me (going by HJ's feedback) that manufacturers like Renault and Fords (in particular) seem unable to produce automatic gearboxes that don't last a decent length of time. Is it through bad design, cheap components or poor assembly?

El Hacko
automatic mondeo - Phil I
weeali :log on to www.fedauto.co.uk/ and see if you can find a member close to your location. I think you will find this more realistic than the branch of Mr. Clutch and not so expensive.

Hth Phil I