1996 2.0 Why is my 420 Diesel Turbo running cold? - bricaz
Why is my Rover 420 Diesel Turbo running cold can anyone help?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 01/01/2009 at 15:56

1996 2000 Why is my Rover 420 Diesel Turbo running - Falkirk Bairn
Stuck thermostat?
1996 2000 Why is my Rover 420 Diesel Turbo running - gordonbennet
Radiator fan running continually?
1996 2000 Why is my Rover 420 Diesel Turbo running - Peter.N.
Thermostat - fan running cant cool the engine if the thermostat isn't allowing any water into the radiator.
1996 2000 Why is my Rover 420 Diesel Turbo running - DP
Bear in mind an exceptionally long warmup time (particularly at town speeds / idle) is standard on diesels in this weather.

My old Mondeo TD would never actually reach operating temperature if left to idle in winter weather (freezing or thereabouts) with the heater set to warm. If the engine was already warm, it would actually start to cool if stood for long enough. Diesels are much more thermally efficient than petrol engines.

1996 2000 Why is my Rover 420 Diesel Turbo running - bricaz
Thanks mates, But temperature is running fine midway as should be but no heat in the car at all we live out in the sticks so no town speeds / idle, water all fine in Rad, fan running normal.
1996 2000 Why is my Rover 420 Diesel Turbo running - dieselnut
From what I remember about my old 420, there is a manually controlled heater valve in the engine bay close to the bulkhead. This is linked to the dash heater control by a cable. Get someone to move the dash control to see if the arm on the valve moves, or could be that the valve is just stuck closed.
1996 2000 Why is my Rover 420 Diesel Turbo running - Falkirk Bairn
On my Civic the same problem happened - cable to valve on bulkhead.

The rotary switch on the dashboard is cable linked to the valve.

The valve could be moved manually and had the heater on or off but inconvenient. It was a hassle to get at the rotary knob - lots of screws to get at it but once the cable was back on heat returned.
1996 2000 Why is my Rover 420 Diesel Turbo running - bricaz
Me again, I still think its the Thermostat this is in a housing do any of you know how to split this as I don't want to damage it?
1996 2000 Why is my Rover 420 Diesel Turbo running - Armitage Shanks {p}
Subject to informed coment from others I don't see how it can be the thermostat. If it was stuck open the temp gauge, which you say is working normally, would struggle to get anywhere normal and if it was stuck shut it would either indicate overheating, or not, depending where the temp sender is and it would overheat and boil PDQ in any event and regarless of what the gauge read
1996 2000 Why is my Rover 420 Diesel Turbo running - dieselnut
When I had my 420 I found the same problem you are experiencing, ie poor heater.
I checked the thermostat, heater valve, reverse flushed the heater matrix, flushed out the whole cooling system.
I couldn't improve the heater output.
So I had to come to the conclusion that the heater matrix was probably a bit under size & just didn't give enough output when the weather was very cold like now.
1996 2000 Why is my Rover 420 Diesel Turbo running - leemus
Hi, New here! Did you find out how to split the thermostat housing, I'm in exactly the same position as you.
1996 2000 Why is my Rover 420 Diesel Turbo running - ED731PDH
Grab the heater knob and pull. If it just slides off in your hand easy, the plastic has probably split down the shaft and does not grip the spindle that drivers the flap control.

Easy fix, get about a foot of cotten thread. Wrap around the split shaft, then soak superglue into the thread. Allow to dry and refit.