1999 1.8 Engine oil grade question? - jp147
I have a Ford Focus with a 1.8 zetec petrol engine. The Hayne's manual for this model says that 10w 40 engine oil can be used as well as the recommended 5w 30 oil - does this mean that only performance and fuel economy will be affected and no damage can be done to the engine through the use of the 10w 40 oil. Perhaps you know other people who have used this oil. I read somewhere that why 5w 30 is highly recommended for zetec engines is because of the narrow oil ways in the lubrication system although other people say it is because of the hydraulic tappets needing thinner oil. In Car mechanics magazine it says on this matter that "thicker oil will sludge up and create all sorts of problems later on", although what grade they mean by "thicker" I don't know.

What do you know about this ?
1999 1.8 Engine oil grade question? - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Using anything other than the 5w/30 recommended brew can lead to tappet problems in cold weather. Fords own 5w/30 (Texaco Havoline) is the best stuff, dont use a full synthetic, it'll only burn it.
1999 1.8 Engine oil grade question? - DP
I agree 100% with the above.

The "Ford own" stuff is branded Formula-E, and is somewhere around £20 for 5 litres. My dad's old mk1 Mondeo 2.0 (same engine family as yours) is still going strong on 200,000 miles and has only ever been run on this stuff.

Cheers
DP

1999 1.8 Engine oil grade question? - quizman
Do not take any notice of the Haynes manual, they are very inaccurate with details these days.
In my Passat Haynes book they get the tyre pressures and the oil specs wrong.

Useless.