01 1.9tdi Thermostat - sparky100
HI. My wife's sharen's heater doesn't seem to work very well, i think it must be the thermostat stuck open. Is this a common thing to happen. When i looked under the bonnet i had trouble locating where it is. I think it is right in front of the engine with a hose about 45mm coming out of it. Could anybody confirm this to save me wasting my time stripping it down and finding out it' wrong. Thank's again. Sparky 100.
01 1.9tdi Thermostat - richbev
Sparky if its the same as a 99 sharan the thermostat is at the bottom front left as you look in the engine bay. I had the same problem with mine last year. I thought the stat was stuck, heater was taking ages to warm up and temp gauge not showing for about 15 mins. It turned out the booster heater under the back of the rear heater matrix was'nt working. after much messing with the booster i gave up as they are around 400 hundred pounds and put up with the slow warm of the car. these cars just take ages to warm up in the cold mate. i got this article about the booster after i had trouble with mine. hope this helps Rich
this guide is for owners of the car, diesels only, models from 95 were fitted with a booster heater, this is a unit fitted underneath the car under where the cenre row passenger sits on the nearside. its a cylinder like object with a small exhaust pipe coming from it. it also has 2 water pipes going in and out . its purpose is to assist the engine in producing hot water more quickly in cold weather. you know if its working as it gives of a distinct humming sound and sometimes exhaust ssmoke also it runs on after the engine has been stopped sometimes. its supplied with fuel via a t into the main fuel line. if your car seems to take an age to even start to warm up chances are its faulty. the usual cause is a duff glowplug. this sits in the unit and the unit has to be lowered from the car to do, you can unbolt the bracket and lower the unit with water pipes still on you must then remove the torx drive bolts to seperate the unit into 2. the glowplug can then be removed for checking and replacement. sometimes you need to take the unit to a workbench in which case the water pipes need clamping with something . the torx bolts tend to rust and need to be drilled out have new ones ready available from vw dealers, dont bother with seat or ford as they may tell you they are not available. on re assembly hopefully the unit will fire or give it a gentle thump with a hammer the fan may have got stuck. there is a way to test yours by bridging a sensor. in the engine bay on the n/s wiper arm linkage there is a small round cylinder shape sensor remove this and pop in across the terminals a 10 amp mini fuse this will signal to the unit that the temp is lower tthan 5 degrees and it will pass voltage to the unit. and hopefully fire.usually people leave the fusr in as when removed for the summer sometimes the unit will seize up usually though a thump with the hammer gets it going. you can sometimes hear the fuel pump for the unit ticking its under the central ara of the middle row of seats a very common fault is the fuel pump wires corrode as they are exposed re connection sometimes starts the heater. the glowplugs are £30 + at dealers we sell them in our shop much cheaper. they are much more expensive than normal glowplugs as they are classed as industrial use only beru the german firm make them and we have to import them for the best price. hope this answers a few questions most info is correct but o doubt someone out there will know more than we do. this is a rough guide not a expert breakdown. it can save you a lot of cash to change the glowplug as a dealer will charge a fortune and may say a new unit is needed at £300 +