Tyre Choice - 16" - Smileyman
Looking to replace tyres for Primera.
Size is 205/60/16. Michelin website suggests Energy Saver in H or V speed or Primacy HP in V speed. All are 92 Load Index, so no difference here.
Which is a better tyre to choose? Safety is important - roadholding and braking performance, also ride quality. ATS suggested the H rating, on offer at 25% off until 31/12, but the car did come with V rated tyres. Now I will never drive at 130mph, even if I do ever visit Germany again, so is this a relevant consideration?
I have also considered the Continental Premium Contact 2 as it gets a good test reports, but no experience with this brand.
Any comments / suggestions gratefully received.
Tyre Choice - 16 - Pugugly
Funnily enough had the very same dilemma today. Mrs P has been driving "with esprit" and worn the front tyres a bit (well a lot), standard kit are Z rated Black Circles only had W rated - never became an issue as National Tyres offered me the same tyres with a Z rating for the same price (minus a 40 mile trip to fit). Sure I read some pearls of wisdom on here about speed rating mixes.

Edited by Pugugly on 15/12/2008 at 23:05

Tyre Choice - 16 - Bill Payer
Safety is important - roadholding and braking performance also ride quality.

Primacy HP. Have them on my Merc and very pleased with all the aspects that you mentioned.

Energy Saver (which we have on our Jazz) is an "eco" tyre with low rolling resistance so it should offer slightly better economy and it should last a bit longer as the treadwear rating is 400 (vs 240 for the HPs).
However even on the Jazz I can feel the lack of grip on turn-in on the fronts and the ride from them isn't good.

If you have a Costco nearby check their prices - they're usually very good on Michelins (that's all they sell). They'll give anyone the price if you 'phone them. Even if you're not a member then it may still pay to join if you can (it's about £30/yr). Your local tyre place may price match with them anyway (don't mention that you're not a member, obviously!).

Oh, and you really ought to use the correct speed rating (or higher).

Edited by Bill Payer on 16/12/2008 at 09:35