1999 1.8 Engine oil level concern - jp147
I should say that the car is a 1.8 petrol model.

I checked the oil level on the dipstick after the car had been stationary overnight (the car was on a slight incline in my back lane facing upwards). The level on the dipstick was only a few millimetres (about 4 mm) above the minimum mark.

Although when I check it on the level it is at least halfway between min and max.

My concern is that there will not be enough oil in the engine to lubricate it when I start the car when it is on a hill for example or is this assumption wrong ?

thank you.
1999 1.8 Engine oil level concern - jc2
As long as the Oil warning light goes out,you're OK.
1999 1.8 Engine oil level concern - yorkiebar
Not quite jc ! The oil light is of so little use it might as well not be there. It operates at such low pressure it can be off while the engine is suffering!

But if the level is above min even when on a slope AND the light goes out quickly then no reason for concern.

If you have checked it on the level and its halfway between min and max why not top up anyway?
1999 1.8 Engine oil level concern - astrabob
Your engine oil level sounds fine to me.

The level should always be checked when the car is on level ground.

Your handbook will tell you the procedure. On some cars, the level is checked with the engine cold, on others 10 minutes after stopping a warm engine.

Don't leave it until the oil pressure warning light comes on - you've left it too late.

On one occasion, I drove a company pool car from the Manchester area to the Cambridge area. Towards the end of the journey the oil pressure gauge (it had one of them) was a bit low. I checked the dipstick, and there was nothing on it. So I bought a litre of oil and put it in. The oil then just got up to the bottom of the dipstick!