LPG on CRV - tawse
Hi,

I know nothing about LPG apart from that is it cheaper than petrol/diesel, cleaner and that you need to get a good conversion.

I ask as I wondered what the pros and cons would be of converting a CRV to LPG? As I say, I know next to nothing about LPG conversions so would welcome any thoughts from those in the know.

I have read that there are loads of people offering LPG conversion and some good and some are pretty bad. I spoke with a find a 'good' LPG conversion garage.

Oh, and I have also read something about the cylinders burning out on LPG conversions so you have to add lubrication and apparently this lubrication system can be everything cheap and nasty to quite expensive and not so nasty.

The mechanic I talked to was not convinced about any of these lubricant add-ons as he felt that the engine had been designed, at great time and expense, to do a particular job and now people were basically altering the way the engine worked for peanuts as opposed to the tens of millions that car companies had spent on deisgning the engine in the first place.

Anyhow, would be interested to hear views on LPG conversions and, more specifically, whether converting a CRV makes any sense?

Thanks,

T.
LPG on CRV - Mr X
Don't waste your time or money. ( HJ told me that a few years ago when I wrote to his column ) I ignored him and regretted it. Most of the business's offering conversions are members of a toothless body that hands out competence certificates like confetti. They sell the dream of a cheap fuel that you won't even know your using whilst forgetting to mention that the lower calorific value means that not only will you get a lower mpg from the stuff compared to the petrol equivalent amount but that you will also notice a drop in top speed / acceleration.

They will blame the ever glowing engine management light on everything from ' dirty gas " to " 'faulty lambda sensors". The cost of the conversion will be quickly bumped up by the endless trips back to them as you attempt to make it run remotely like it did when on petrol.

Then there's the governments shifting stance on LPG. 7 years ago they were throwing money at people to help pay for conversions ( was called the powershift scheme ) because they reckoned this was the cleanest fuel we could use and that it would save the planet. The difference in excise duty between LPG and Petrol was enormous. Then over night, Gordon B took on his ' LPG is not that good really " stance and decreed he would reduce the differential in duty between LPG and Petrol by increasing it by more than petrol at each budget.
The VED rate for a converted vehicle attracts only a £10 a year reduction despite a conversion costing between £1,500 and £2,000 .
18 months of a living hell with a £2,000 conversion may have coloured my view a little but not as much as seeing how much work a mate of mine in the LPG business ( met him only at the end of my problems ) gets fixing other convertors lash ups. He must be doing 3 cars a week with systems that range from faulty to downright lethal.

LPG on CRV - Pendlebury
I agree with Mr X.
If fuel economy / consumption is so important to you, then you are looking at the wrong car.
It's a bit like the question my brother asked me when he says he was looking at a S2000 but was concerned about the mpg - yeh right - that is why most people buy a car like the S2000 - cos they watch there fuel consumption.
If you are so interested in Hondas tawse and want a reliable spacious car like the CRV go for a 2001 to 2005 Civic.
LPG on CRV - tawse
Thanks guys - just the forthright info I was seeking.

LPG on CRV - Manatee
Pendlebury's recommendation of the 2001-2005 Civic is a good one. We have had a 2002 1.6 automatic from new, and *nothing* has gone wrong with it. It's a bit knocked about, only cosmetically, but we can't get a new one so Mrs M wants to keep it until it drops - she has nothing to say to the current model, hates the claustrophobic interior.

The space inside is unbelievable, especially rear seat legroom, and despite that the boot is a reasonable size. Not especially quick, but pleasant enough to drive. It doesn't really encourage press-on driving, but unless you want a sports car that's probably a good thing these days.
LPG on CRV - tawse
Thanks for the Civic suggestions people - alas, I would need one for each foot.
LPG on CRV - Pendlebury
If your that big tawse, I'm double checking my post to make sure it didn't offend in any way.

Let us know what you do.
LPG on CRV - tawse
If your that big tawse I'm double checking my post to make sure it didn't
offend in any way.
Let us know what you do.

Probably going to dig myself a big hole in the ground, stick an andersen shelter in the hole and stock it full of tins of baked beans and cock-a-leekie soup. Then I am going to wait for the financial meltdown of 2009 to come and go.

;-)
LPG on CRV - tawse
Oh, and whilst I am a tall sod I am also a skinny sod so only of danger to low-flying aircraft.
LPG on CRV - Alby Back
I haven't had cock-a-leekie for years, must get some, it's rather good if I recall....

I'll go in the car to fetch it........
LPG on CRV - tawse
I haven't had cock-a-leekie for years must get some it's rather good if I recall....
I'll go in the car to fetch it........

I get Sainsburys to deliver mine - usually buy them by the box load. A man can never have enough cock-a-leekie or, for that matter, game soup either. Baxters.
LPG on CRV - Mr X
I have brought this site up before as an aid to others.
www.lpgforum.co.uk/

I realise it's a site designed to help people with LPG problems but it is amazing how many new problems surface every week in comparison to the number of LPG vehicles on our roads.
LPG on CRV - Mr X
The new VED rates, since put back , where still only offering LPG conversions, a paltry £10 off the rates. You spend up to £2,000 for a conversion which helps the air quality and the carbon obsession and they offer a paltry tenner as a thank you.
Last I heard, the congestion charge non payment for registered LPG vehicles was due to be altered so that no one else could join the free list after 2007. Did that go a head ?

LPG on CRV - Pendlebury
If sense prevailed............

I don't think you had to say any more than that HJ.

Since when has sense prevailed with anything this government has got involved with when associated with transport.
LPG on CRV - LpgcYorkshire

I am an LPG conversion profesional and have converted a great many CRV's. All run extremely well on LPG and none have any problems.

I have heard of some installers who do blame dirty LPG etc when vehicles have engine warning lights come on. Such installers either have not installed the system correctly, have fittted parts that are not suitable or have not calibrated the system correctly. Such installers generally go out of business very soon.

Running a vehicle on LPG saves 40% of fuel costs. When a vehicle is converted properly it will drive just as smoothly on LPG as on petrol, will be just as powerful, will last even longer than it would running on petrol.

Regarding LPG price, this post was started in 2008, it is now 2014 and LPG is still under half the price of petrol.

Simon in Yorkshire

LPGC

LPG on CRV - D2

I have a CRV 2007 but not the latest shape with an LPG conversion and it works perfectly and is transparent in it's operation. LPG is 69p per litre here. I did some research about LPG being less efficient than petrol but runs perfectly although acceleration is slightly slower.

You can easily turn off the gas and use petrol manually by using the combined unobtrusive gauge/switch on the dash. This is a tiny square switch with LED's showing the fuel level.

Selling it now as it's a spare car but in great condition.

LPG on CRV - mick1960

I drive a 2006 CRV 2 it has done 147000 miles it has a Stag 300.4+ system fitted I use NGK Laser lpg spark plugs. I service it every year with a new vapour filter, oil change and a check of the valve clearances and thats it ! No problems, and judging by the colour of the oil at the change I could probably leave it for two years.

I am currently paying 41p/litre for gas and getting 24mpg round town. Diesel is around 119p/litre so at around a third of the price of diesel I am getting the equivilent of 66+ mpg.

Oh also no DPF problems !

LPG on CRV - Ethan Edwards

Are you running it dry? Or with Flash lube?

I can state with absolute certainty the 2.5 petrol xtrail and the 1.6 Nissan Note are totally unsuitable for LPG. You get 40k trouble free miles then bad vsr.

Old mercs and Protons no trouble. Nissan. .not so good.

LPG on CRV - mick1960

I am running it dry if I do get any problems with VSR it head off and new valves and seats as a mechanic its not that daunting and I have a good engineering contact who has fitted hardened valves and seats to heads before, but he runs an old Anglia and has never bothered to do the head and says it runs perfectly ok.

I think many people over look the fact that hondas have adjustable valve clearances with many assuming that they are hydraulic and maintenece free. I always leave the exhaust clearances a couple of thou over the max setting so they chatter a little but you cant hear it in the car It may have lost a little top end horse power but it still drives smoothly and performs well.l

I have read that some people run a tank of petrol through the car to aid the valves. I have only done that on a long journey when the gas is low and its switched to petrol. I also change the in line vapour filter every 5000 miles ..try cutting one open and see the goo inside !

Edited by mick1960 on 07/12/2016 at 23:40