04 'Check Parking Brake' warning after pad change - Fiesta Fanatic
Hi all,

Changed the rear pads on my Scenic today and it was a nightmare.

The first thing that went wrong is that I could not release the handbrake using the method described in the manual (card in slot, pull handle and press centre button) so I had to work on the car with the engine running.

The nearside pads were changed pronto, and I was working on the offside when I had to go into the house. Without thinking I turned off the engine and the handbrake engaged! The handbrake cable was now pulled all the way in (it wasn't attached to the caliper at the time) and so when I came back to the car I couldn't pull the cable out. I re-started the car, disengaged the handbrake (by reaching the bite point and giving it a little rev) and then tried to extract the cable. I could only get around an inch out... no where near enough.

Desperate and cold I went to the boot and removed the red cover and gently pulled (maybe an inch or so) the yellow emergency handle... and sure enough I could get some slack and put the handbrake cable back where it should be. I put the wheel on and tested everything and the brakes/handbrake works ok apart from a "Check Parking Brake" error message, accompanied by a orange service light (the word "SERVICE") and an orange triangle with an orange "P" in its centre.

Have I wrecked something? Is it possible to remove the warning? The brakes work fine, and the parking brake works as it should... I don't really want to take it to a Renault dealer.

Any help much appreciated!

Regards,
Rick.

Subject line tweak to make everything fit [removed engine size - I know, I know :-( ] altered year to read 2004 - don't think they made electronic parking brakes in 1954 - sensible chaps !

Edited by Pugugly on 07/12/2008 at 19:05

04 'Check Parking Brake' warning after pad change - tony@tooting
Rick,
I suspect that the fault code was tripped when the system engauged in your absence, and the ECU thought that the system had failed.
I would have thought that all you will require is a code read and clear. Many independent garages will have to tool to do this, so you dont have to take it to a dealer. And, if you don't want to admit that you have worked on the car, just say the battery went flat. (A flat battery will cause the hand brake/service lamp to illuminate.)
I take it you have checked that both wheels "lock" with the brake on?
04 'Check Parking Brake' warning after pad change - Fiesta Fanatic
Hi Tony

Thanks for getting back to me.

So you reckon that the fault code tripped becuase the handbrake switched on when I turned the engine off, rather than when I pulled the emergency cord (albeit only an inch or so to free the cables).

I will contact some local garages and have a word with them.

Oh and yes, handbrake works perfectly well and both wheels lock as they should.

Thanks for your help, really appreciate it.

Cheers,
R.
04 'Check Parking Brake' warning after pad change - tony@tooting
Rick,
I suspect that the code retreived will read something like "Catastrophic failure".
Just get the code cleared, (But take a note of the number/s just incase.) and I'm sure all will be fine.