Shell Optimax Petrol - svpworld
Recently switched from Supermarket petrol to Shell optimax (filled full tank when on empty) and I get the impression that my fuel consumption has improved. I havent checked the figures but given my average driving style, routes and use of air con I feel that I am getting more miles from a tank in the last journey. Guess I will have to test this out more accurately, but so far I've covered over 300 miles and still have 1/4 tank remaining, whereas before I would be almost empty!
Must be my imagination or just driving style has changed!!!!

However I have noticed the car is quieter and smoother with the new fuel!

Simon

Simon,

Do a search using "optimax" as the key and you'll find a considerable number of threads on the subject - with some widely varing opinions.

I think the general consensus is that it will improve performance or economy, depending on your driving style but probably not both. However some reported no difference. IMO it probably has a lot to do with the Engine Management system of your car and the way it's set up to cope with the varing petrol ratings.

You have to balance the price difference with extra MPG (or BHP), is it worth it to you or not. You pays your money and.....

Chad.R
Shell Optimax Petrol - Crombster
I have always been a bit sceptical about different types of petrol and never felt it was worth the extra for super unleaded. Optimax is a different story however, in my modded V6 Omega the difference is very noticeable and I use it as often as I can. I can't say my mpg has increased, since the cars performance has perked up a bit I drive the car that little bit harder. More fun less savings, can't win 'em all! :)

Shell Optimax Petrol - dimdip
I had a look to see what my car's handbook said about octane:

Out of the whole Golf mk3 range, only the VR6 offers any increase in performance for 98 RON over 95 RON. That benefit is an increase in torque of 5 Nm in 235 (2.1 per cent). The 2 litre 8v and 2 litre 16v do not benefit despite having "automatic adaption of ignition timing to the anti-knock properties of the fuel".

hmm
Shell Optimax Petrol - blackdog
I run my Merc E280 on this but the dealer says any old 4 star will do, 95 ron is reccomended.>> Simon,
Do a search using "optimax" as the key and you'll find
a considerable number of threads on the subject - with some
widely varing opinions.
I think the general consensus is that it will improve performance
or economy, depending on your driving style but probably not both.
However some reported no difference. IMO it probably has a lot
to do with the Engine Management system of your car and
the way it's set up to cope with the varing petrol
ratings.
You have to balance the price difference with extra MPG (or
BHP), is it worth it to you or not. You pays
your money and.....
Chad.R

Shell Optimax Petrol - Ben79
Shell makes my dad's 206 1.4 smoother and vibrate less at low revs. It makes my 1.4 Xsara feel less underpowered, but I'm not looking for an F1 car!

Slightly better with economy, but there again I use the performance benefits.

And if it helps keep my engine clean possibly improve the chance of getting through emissions tests.

Ben
Shell Optimax Petrol - jud
I've used Optimax in my A4 1.8T Quattro on four occasions and it does run smoother but with no improvement on economy, and if the performance is better i don't notice, I'm sure it must be the fuel to use for my car given that the performance/economy figures from the manufacturer are based on 98 Ron (or there about)but I'm back on the Asda or esso again with no complaints. For me to access Optimax a 15 mile round trip is required to the nearest station and along with the 5 pence extra a litre, makes it a none starter.
Will this end up under Ht leads?
Shell Optimax Petrol - Emerson Fittipaldi
I have also noticed increased fuel economy, quieter & smoother running, with increased performance, especilly midrange. I find I dont have to drop it down a gear when the revs get low like I have to with supermarket (95 Ron) fuel in. I have been using Shell Optimax off and on for a while now. Recently I have filled my tank about 5 times in a row, and have noticed significant changes in performance and economy. It seems as if I don't have to work to car as hard to get it going, hence the increased fuel economy. I have a Laguna 1.8 RT Sport, and it hates supermarket/regular unleaded. It makes it sluggish and it runs very lumpy. If I was to revert back to regular unleaded I would go for Esso followed by BP, these seem to be the only fuels (strangly enough) that make my car run ok. Optimax at the moment is cheaper than Super plus at 75.9, and Super Plus at Esso is a stonking 84.9! or somewhere abouts.
Shell Optimax Petrol - Big Vern
I have not been able to find Shell optimax in any Shell station in N.Ireland, what is it? is it their version of Super unleaded, their version of unleaded or a better grade of their unleaded?

Can't remember what they call the shell unleaded over here, must check at my next fill.

Also can I put Super unleaded into by 98 R Ecotec 1.8 16V Vectra?
Guess I am lucky as there's a shell station yards away from my home. I've always wondered why every morning there are queues of cars there to buy fuel, given its not as cheap as our local asda's. However I guess that most are eager to try optimax! It's about 5p a litre dearer than ordinary unleaded if I remember correctly, and I will certainly be trying it more to see if it really does make a difference. I suppose at the end of the day, cars are like humans, we are what we eat and fuel is as important to a car as a healthy diet is to humans. My only thoughts are what happens to the rubbish that these fuels are supposed to clean from your engine, do they end up in the cat?

Optimax appears to have replaced Shell's super unleaded in most of the shell stations i have visited. I dont know though if its available in N.Ireland, might be worth asking on the shell website. I've never tried super unleaded in the past, except by mistake once so didnt really notice if it made any difference.

Yes you can put super unleaded in your vectra by all means, but whether it will make any difference or not depends on whether the car's ecu etc will adjust and compensate for it.

Personally I see the only way to see whether fuels affect individual cars is to try them. I remember my cavvy always seemed to enjoy elf petrol, I felt it ran smoother and quieter. I often used supermarket stuff, and will miss getting my double points, but as I tend to wait for the flashing empty light to come on before I fill, I dont suppose in foreign towns I will be able always to fill up with opti.

Finally, as it seems we have so many omega owners on this site, does anyone know accurately how much fuel is left in an omega when the fuel light starts to flash, as opposed to being lit? I find that when I fill to the brim after it comes on, I can put around 60 litres in the tank yet the spec tells me the tank will take 75 litres.. Surely there cant be 15 litres of fuel in the tank with the low fuel light on!!!

Regards
Simon

does anyone know accurately how much fuel is left
in an omega when the fuel light starts to flash, as
opposed to being lit?

On my Vectra, I guestimated it to be around 2 gallons (9 litres)
As Vicky Vectra does approx 25 mpg (most of my journey's are urban), when the light first comes on the trip computer says I have 50 miles range left in the tank. I would say that the electrics are the same for the Omega?
Doesn't your Omega have the multi-stage trip computer to tell you average mpg, current mpg, range, average speed, ect?
Omega Trip Computer - Range - Chad.R
Sorry to wander off topic but on the subject Omega trip computers - the "Range" on my mates '94 model always seems to read the range at the current consumption for a FULL tank and not what he's actually got left - so even when the low fuel light is on the range still reads around 300 miles!

He's not bothered about it as he tends to keep a eye on the gauge but is there a quick fix for this?

Chad.R
Omega Trip Computer - Range - blank
My experience of these is limited to one hire car. A 01 2.2CDX Auto (?).
The "range" indication on this one read the remaining estimated range based on the rate of consumption since the computer was last reset. On the way back from Wales, I was down to 3 miles before I reached the services on the M20!
Anyone's guess how much further it would have managed, but I wasn't up for risking it. The wife would never have stopped taking the p***!!
Shell Optimax Petrol - dimdip
I think manufacturers have incorporated bigger safety margins in fuel gauges since the introduction of catalysts, since misfires can ruin the cat. My golf has 5 litres left even when the gauge indicates 'empty' !
Shell Optimax Petrol - dave18
6 litres or so in mine (309) when the light first flickers on.
Optimax does seem to make the car a little smoother. I put it in occasionally, will probably use it more now that its had a full service which was overdue. Can't tell how much better it is performance wise yet because the service has only just been done so performance has improved anyway!
Shell Optimax Petrol - PB
Word of warning - as a rule my BMWs always had a gallon left when showing empty (0 range) BUT:
When parked on a cambered road the 540 would not pick up fuel when it was low (and that's a heavy car to push out of a parking space).
A new shape 328 I had was showing 22 miles range going up a long hill behind a lorry. It sputtered and died, I managed to pull it into a gateway. The hill was too busy to push the car around so I had to call the AA to bring petrol, even though I hadn't run out...
Shell Optimax Petrol - Dan J
Come on guys - Placebo effect?

I bet if all of you had your cars refilled with various petrols by someone else each week you'd never be able to tell what week Optimax had gone in and what week garden Texaco unlead was washing round the tank.

Dan J
Shell Optimax Petrol - Dynamic Dave
To add to the comments on when does the fuel light illuminate when low on fuel - by running the tank low on fuel, you run the risk of prematurely clogging up the fuel filter/fuel system with sediment from the bottom of the fuel tank. Best advice is never let the tank get lower than ¼ full.
Sediment? from where? The tank is plastic so I guess the only sediment would come from the pumps... is this possible?

S.

Sediment? from where? The tank is plastic

That's a new one on me. My Vectra's one is steel.
so I guess the only sediment would come from the pumps...
is this possible?

Yes. Why else would a fuel filter be fitted?

Shell Optimax Petrol - jud
Always bad practise to run to the bottom of the tank for obvious reasons , both Primera and A4 have "plastic" type fuel tanks, beats the rusting tank problems of old.
Usually I'd agree with you on the Placebo effect, much as in cleaning your car (especially inside) gives you the psychological effect that its smoother and runs better! However in the case of optimax, I did notice a difference. I wasnt expecting anything, and indeed had forgotten about the fact I'd put the stuff in until I glanced at my trip meter and noticed I had covered nearly 400 miles since I had last filled up and hadn't yet reached empty. Usually I get to about 320 at this point. Since I hadn't changed my driving style, routes or anything else significantly, and had also been running the air con every day and for several hrs at a time, it seemed quite noticeable that there was something different. Admit that I havent noticed any difference in performance, but economy seems to have altered a bit.

S.

in until I glanced at my trip meter and noticed I
had covered nearly 400 miles since I had last filled up
and hadn't yet reached empty. Usually I get to about 320
at this point......
I havent noticed any difference in performance, but economy >> seems to have altered a bit.

Simon,

I'd say an increase in economy in the region of 25% is more than a "bit". Surely there must some other factors involved here, otherwise the "Diesel is better than Petrol" Brigade (myself included) will have to eat humble pie, Mark(RLBS)& Co will be totally vindicated and we'll all be queuing up at the nearest Shell forecourt! :-)

Chad.R
Yes agree that 25% would be expecting far too much, havent had the car long enough to know the real average consumption and I dont have a computer on mine. I suppose 10% would be realistic to expect, perhaps... Anyway taking it on a long haul to Newcastle tomorrow and back, so I'll keep my eye on the gauges and before/after filling her up to see what the motorway performance is like.

Simon

I disagree with the Placebo effect. I have spent a shed load of cash tweeking the V6 in the Omega and can tell when it's slightly unhappy. Using Optimax improves performance considerably, even though I was sceptical at first. Superunleaded, strangely, does not have the same effect and as such I never waste my money on it.

As for the Omega's trip computer, I couldnt say how long you have left when the computer says 0 miles. I tend to use the guage as an indicator, when the needle sits on the pin, thats when I know its time to find a petrol station :)
Shell Optimax Petrol - Steve S
I'd agree if you were talking about mpg or even a slight increase in performance, but if you're talking about smoother running on 98 RON - it's obvious, whether it's Optimax or not.
>I bet if all of you had your cars refilled with various petrols >by someone else each week you'd never be able to tell what week >Optimax had gone in and what week garden Texaco unlead was >washing round the tank.

Dan,

Have you ever tried this fuel? Probably not judging from your reply. Why don't you give it a try and see what we are all on about. And the answer to your question is, yes, I would be able to tell if I had supermarket fuel or Optimax in my tank, as I and many others stated above, it improves performance, economy and makes the car run smoother. The only way your going to believe it is to try it i'm afriad!
Just returned from a 1300 mile trip round scotland in the omega and I have to say it sure is a comfortable car! I drove for 12 hrs on Saturday from Perth across the east coast, then up to Inverness, Fort William and back down to Glasgow. Drove back today from Glasgow to Cardiff and don't feel any tiredness or aching, amazing! Also, on the subject of fuel, I filled up at Glasgow and arrived in Cardiff after ~ 6 hrs with 20 litres still showing on the gauge, that was averaging 80 mph.
I have one comment though, off subject regarding demisting. Driving through the rather wet and humid scottish highlands, I found it almost always necessary to use the air con to prevent misting up of the windscreen. Anyone else having this problem? It seems that without the air con, the vent air "smells" humid to me, does this mean I need to replace my pollen filter?

S.

I don't think there is anything wrong with your car.I had the same problem myself on a 1000 mile holiday in the Scottish highlands. It rained a lot and air was extremely humid.
Shell Optimax Petrol - roscopervis
I would in my Xantia but not in my Primera.
Shell Optimax Petrol - <0.One%
To read what Shell claim of Optimax, go to

www2.shell.com/home/Framework?siteId=uk-en&FC1=&FC...l
Shell Optimax Petrol - dan
I think Optimax is the highest Octane fuel available at 98.9 RON (99!). Some engine management systems sense the octane and adjust the ignition timing accordingly to take advantage of the lower detonation characteristics.

Where this change up occurs is anyone's guess outside of the car design room but would vary from model to model. That's probably why some don't see any effect from 97/98 RON super unleaded but 'seem' to feel a difference with Optimax. Highly tuned Jap cars are built to run on 100RON fuel as is widely available in Japan. (95RON just doesn't cut it and gives you one unhappy car)
Shell Optimax Petrol - dave18
I've been finding I get 380/390ish miles on a full tank using normal unleaded. I've just got 440 from Optimax, albeit from a long journey. Economy seemed better but even if this was not the case, the car seemed smoother and a little more torquey.
Shell Optimax Petrol - James_Jameson
I have recently been using Optimax in my Porsche 911 (1997 model) and am sure that the general smoothness and "crisp" response is much improved.

However, my impression is also that the fuel "goes off" after a few weeks in the tank (maybe the octane rating drops quicker than other lower octane petrols), so if you put it into an "occasional use" car (like mine) then don't leave too much in the tank unused.
Shell Optimax Petrol - madf
so far it makes no appaent difference to my Fiesta 1.6. Ford state higher than 95 RON has no effect.

Fuel consumption appears unchanged .. I log it all. Running is unchanged.

Shell Optimax Petrol - Boff
I find I get approx 10% better fuel economy running on Optimax, along with improved smoothness and power delivery. My guess is that the increaded octane rating will be of most use to modern engines and/or those with more sophisticated ECUs.
Peugeot 406 Coupe 3.0 V6
Shell Optimax Petrol - dunx
I found this atricle on an Australian car mag site.
www.autospeed.com.au/A_0429/page1.html

It does seem to back-up what people are saying about increased performance and economy...
Shell Optimax Petrol - El Hacko
only slight disappointment with my Lexus 200 (Auto) was lack of power in mid-range - 2 months ago I began trying Optimax and haven't stopped. Better performance and, surprisingly, 7-10% improvement in consumption, too. On top of that HJ, says it keeps engine cleaner - good enough for me!

El Hacko
Shell Optimax Petrol - El Hacko
only slight disappointment with my Lexus 200 (Auto) was lack of power in mid-range - 2 months ago I began trying Optimax and haven't stopped. Better performance and, surprisingly, 7-10% improvement in consumption, too. On top of that HJ, says it keeps engine cleaner - good enough for me!

El Hacko
Shell Optimax Petrol - Cardew
There have been a number of threads on this subject. After this current thread appeared I decided to give it a go.

My weekly mileage is almost the same each week. 220 on the motorway, 100 A roads, and 30/40 in central London traffic. I always used normal BP unleaded and in a VW GTi 1.8t averaged 31.5mpg. Without the London driving it is 35/36mpg.

For several weeks using Optimax it has worked out at 32.1mpg.

I have not noticed any improvement in performance or smoothness but traffic is the limiting factor on my speed and I find the 1.8t engine wonderfully smooth anyway.

With Optimax costing 78.9p or 79.9p against BP at 72.9 it is not cost effective for my car.
Just to throw a spanner in the works about what I previously said (and others) about Optimax. I have been filling up with Optimax for months now, and have noticed that my engine has progressively got allot noisier at the top end, enough for me to get worried that the engine was on it's way out. It just seemed to be one tappet that was making a noise though? Anyway, after filling up with Regular ESSO unleaded (95 Ron), the noisy tappet has stopped, and the engine is relitavely quiet (for a Renault 8 Valve!). I was wondering if any of you mechanics could shed any light on this strange phenomenon?
Shell Optimax Petrol - Altea Ego
Just to add my spanner in these works. After all the comment on here about optimax I decided to fill the tank with Optimax to see. Well I have to say, the car (scenic 1.6 8v) does feel smoother, quieter and the power does not have any flat spots.

Cant say about mileage, not done a brim to brim tank test yet, but judging by the way the needle is moving regards miles driven it could be doing more MPG.
Not sure its worth the price premium tho
Shell Optimax Petrol - Claude
I washed my car last weekend and it does make a difference, it seems to slip through the air faster and smoother and didnt roll so much in the corners. Also my wife noticed a difference. So I'm going to wash it again this weekend and, after reading all the above, I will use Optimax to see what additional improvement I get. I mean I will fill it up with Optimax not wash it with Optimax. Could be an exciting weekend !
I note my reply was in october 2002.

As an experiment I tried Optimax again in February 2003. Normal journeys and driving style.. and fuel consumption was awful: about 34mpg versus nromal 38-39..Switched back to Texaco next tank and now normal..

Lack of additives in the batch?

Imo, for a standard car a waste of money...
(Fiesta 1.6)

madf
Shell Optimax Petrol - james_60
Hi

is that the 1.6 16v dohc zetec engine

it should make a difference but some times the difference occurs after the car has been serviced though not to be confused with the effects from the service

what is the cars mileage

Kind Regards
James Stephenson
Shell Optimax Petrol - Cheeky
OPtimax made not a jot of difference to my 2.4 A6. regular 95RON petrol station (not supermarket) seems to be the best compromise for MPG , Value (Ha, that's a joke..) etc. etc.
James : yes it\'s the 1.6 Zetec.

No knock sensor so ECU can\'t advance ignition when I use higher octane petrol, hence no effect..

Oh and 8k miles (last 4k hard driving:-)

madf
Shell Optimax Petrol - Richard Turpin
Optimax makes no difference at all. but 47 posts means that the marketing people have hit the nail on the head.
Shell Optimax Petrol - andy n
beg to differ richard, but i have been alternating between optimax and regular unleaded for some time now in my v70t5 and there is a noticeable difference in engine response and a increase of abour 3mpg(urban cycle) when using the optimax i have been very carefull about the mpg figures as i was like you convinced it was all a bit of a con when shell first introduced optimax
Shell Optimax Petrol - Big John
Optimax always make a big difference on my Octavia. Performance is always better, fuel economy is 2 mpg better as long as you dont use the extra performance! It still works out more expensive and normal unleaded even with the improved mpg.
Shell Optimax Petrol - J500ANT
Of the cars ive owned recently, the '51 Citroen Saxo VTR LOVED Optimax, but never too much in the tank cos the weight slowed it down! My current '52 Fiat Punto 1.2 16v feels no different on Optimax, and the economy is the same so i gave up on that and went back to my local Total stuff. The smart im getting will be run on Optimax because all the smarties say it makes a big difference to their cars ;-)

A friend has a Subaru Impreza Turbo that he runs on Optimax and he had to have the ECU reset for the higher octane fuel to get the best performance from it. For him its the next best thing since sliced bread, if he cant get any and has to put "ordinary" super unleaded in, he then has to get the ECU reset again because normal super unleaded isnt as high an octane.

Tony :)
Shell Optimax Petrol - GT
Other than Shell Optimax (98 RON? 99 RON?) what other brands are available at 98 or above? Just bought a Golf R32 which asks for 98 RON (handbook, filler flap, etc...). I've got a Total station within 50 yards but the cashier thought I was from Mars when I asked what the RON was.
Shell Optimax Petrol - J500ANT
AFAIK Optimax has the highest octane rating of any UK petrol, most "super" unleaded is infact 97ron. So in a very nice :) Gold R32 I would say that a trip to the Shell garage for each fill up will be well worth it. Oh, and get a Shell reward card, cos i reckon you'll be using a lot of the stuff!

Tony