01 2.0 Tyre speed ratings - Demon
Have noticed when looking at tyre prices that generally speaking, tyres with higher speed ratings seem pricier than those with lower speed ratings even when the tyre size itself is the same. Given that my particular car has a supposed top speed of 130mph, why then are the manufacturers specification W rated tyres (circa 170mph?) rather than V, which would be more than adequate. Further to that, would it be ill advised to use V rated tyres on the car in order to save a few pounds, and \would that also throw up other issues maybe with insurance, safety etc...? This is not a case of penny-pinching, rather than asking the question is there a real reason why one should be spending more money for higher specification tyres than is necessary for the car? I wonder...? :)
01 2.0 Tyre speed ratings - Dynamic Dave
The suggestion to use a certain rating of tyre also takes into account of the vehicle's weight, as well as speed.
would it be ill advised to use V rated tyres on the car in order to save a few pounds,
and would that also throw up other issues maybe with insurance, safety etc...?

In short, yes.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 01/12/2008 at 12:42

Didn't think of that. I went for the W's anyway, but there were a couple of places that would've been happy to fit V's without question. :O
01 2.0 Tyre speed ratings - defender
if the car has a top speed of 130 mph then a V rated tyre WITH THE SAME LOAD INDICE would be perfectly safe as that is a speed rating of 150mph .
a tyre with an H rating is safe for up to 130 mph and unless you are actually going to be doing that kind of speed it would not be a problem bearing in mind the limit is 70 although I would not cut corners to that extent
01 2.0 Tyre speed ratings - rtj70
A previous company car I had (Vectra 2.0 GLS) got new tyres by a mobile tyre fitter (arranged by lease company). Roll forward a bit and it needed some work on it (exhaust had a hole I seem to remember) and they spotted the tyres were the wrong rating.

Big fuss about it and lease company wanted me to go back to where they were fitted for them to be sorted. Until I said I had no idea who fitted them as they'd arranged the mobile fitter. The tyres were all changes to the correct rating (V instead of H I think).

Glad it was not my problem but they did not want me to continue driving it with the wrong tyres.
The reason the question came up for me was that different retailers were giving me different speed rating as the 'recommended' type for my car on their automatic online search facilities ie. they were telling me I needed V's, but I noticed that the car was on W's and checked the manual to reveal, sure enough, W. When all's said and done (don't you just hate cliched phrases like that...?!) my opinion on the matter now is that even though lower ratings may not be dangerous per se, for the sake of £20 or so extra spent on a tyre, which most of us will agree is peanuts compared to the general costs of car running, adhering to the manufacturers specification is the way to go. Case closed for me thankyou :)