2000 1.8D - sluggish brakes - plymman
I recently picked up a 2nd hand 1.8 diesel which seems to be in good order and a nice runner, however the brakes are really sluggish, the pedal feels quite soft and it takes a good while to stop, it's been serviced and has new front tyres, pads and discs but still seems too sluggish.

Is this common or usual? Is there anything I can do to sharpen them up at all?

Thanks

Edited by Webmaster on 30/11/2008 at 20:36

2000 1.8D 2000 Fiesta diesel - sluggish brakes - yorkiebar
And the rears are ? in what condition?
2000 1.8D 2000 Fiesta diesel - sluggish brakes - plymman
rear tyres are good, a mate who is a mechanic says there should be plenty of life in the rears
2000 1.8D 2000 Fiesta diesel - sluggish brakes - yorkiebar
was thinking more of the condition of the brakes :)
2000 1.8D 2000 Fiesta diesel - sluggish brakes - Altea Ego
find a nice straight wide empty stretch of road, accelerate up to 50 mph and stamp on the anchors hard. If the wheels lock the brakes are fine and its just a matter of "feel".
I have stamped the brakes but no lock or skid, with a good stamp they jolt but don't lock
2000 1.8D 2000 Fiesta diesel - sluggish brakes - jc2
You need to get the vacuum to the servo checked-should be 20"Hg. plus.
2000 1.8D 2000 Fiesta diesel - sluggish brakes - rtj70
Get this fixed ASAP - this car is not safe. If you had an accident and brakes found to be defective... well lets not go there.
2000 1.8D 2000 Fiesta diesel - sluggish brakes - Rattle
Could it just be that they need bleeding?
Could it just be that they need bleeding?
Not sure at all, I'm not too clued up with cars, how can I tell and is it easy enough to do myself?
I've never done it but I know the principle of it. On paper it looks very easy but as always the case with cars the job always turns out to be a lot more difficult than on paper. Basicaly the theory is if there is air in the blake fluid the hydraulics won't work properly as there won't be enough preasure, classic sympton is spongy brakes.

Haynes suggest is a 3 spanner job, so this is one for the garage I think. I think the best thing to do is take it into a garage and get them to do a full overhaul of the brakes, and get them to check the master cylinder is working properly.

Edited by Rattle on 30/11/2008 at 21:30

would this tie in with JC2's suggestion to get the vacuum checked? If I got a garage to do this would it be pricy?
Yep get everything checked, it might be something simple. Do you know when it last had an MOT? Also have you checked that you're not loosing any brake fluid?
last MOT was last March, not noticed any fluid loss but then I haven't really looked. service and tyres were done before I bought it but when I got the brakes checked out I was told pads and discs wouldn't pass the next MOT so had them done, but no improvement in braking speed
2000 1.8D 2000 Fiesta diesel - sluggish brakes - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Simple self-test for brake servo/vacuum pump operation.
Engine OFF
Depress brake pedal about 8-10 times (to deplete vacuum in servo)
Press brake pedal firmly then start engine with foot still pressing pedal
After a few seconds you should feel the pedal sink a little more
If it doesnt the servo/vacuum pump and hoses should be checked as you have NO servo assistance
If it does get the brakes bled and the rear brakes checked out.