Insurance and car ownership - stevek
Appreciate some advice on my situation. Went with daughter at weekend to local Ford dealer to but a new Ka which they are offering on PCP at 4.9%. Unfortunately daughter is refused finance due to (we think) problems she has several years ago at Uni. she has now been working two years and still paying these off.

So I offer to guarantee the deal-not accepted. The only way to proceed is for me to take the PCP out in my name which I am happy to do and she will pay me back monthly.

Now the problem is that I have to be the keeper on the V5 as terms of the finance. yet her insurance company will only insure her (she has 5 years ncb) if she is on the V5. So these are mutually exclusive conditions.

This cant be a unique situation so I would like to have some view on how we can proceed legally.

Many thanks

{title made non make/model specific as a PCP question could be for any make of car}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 24/11/2008 at 18:17

Insurance and car ownership - Falkirk Bairn
Buy a less expensive Ka for cash (advanced to daughter) and let her pay you back.

The Bank of Mum & Dad worked well in our home for many years. £2-3K for repayment over 24 mths..............

These days are past us now - now they want bridging loans as they sell house No 1 to buy bigger House No 2 - a bit trickier than £2/3K for a car!
Insurance and car ownership - stunorthants26
Not all insurance companies insist on this, ring around and ask the question would be my advice.
Insurance and car ownership - ex-Triumph man
To me there may well be two ways round this. As I recall, Ford themselves offer insurance, sometimes free, for the first 12 months on new cars. Alternatively Direct Line could provide the solution. With them, every named driver earns his/her NCB whilst on the policy. Worth giving them a call.
Insurance and car ownership - oilrag
Steve, why not wait for the new version of the KA? as the present one seems very prone to rust and it seems the new one will be galvanised.
Insurance and car ownership - audiA6tdi
Old KA is prone to rust and I wouldnt want my daughter driving one - have you seen one after a crash. Either buy the safer Fiesta or perhaps something more modern like a Peugeot 207. The Ka, while good in its day is now 12 years old and is an old design in terms of safety.
We used to have 3 year old Ka's on the forecourt with rust around the rear wiper seal. Crazy.