2006 2.0 Run Flats - should they stay or go? - Aocal
Hi All,

As the title suggests, i've currently got run flats, the rear tyres almost need replacing. I was just wondering what peoples thoughts were. Are there any advantages to putting normal tyres on? Other than saving a few quid on the actual tyre purchase?

If I do swap to normal tyres I would need a spare wheel. Does anyone know if the spare wheel and jack from my old E46 is compatible with the 5 series?

5 series is a 520d 2006.

Thanks!

Edited by Aocal on 24/11/2008 at 13:22

2006 2.0 Run Flats - should they stay or go? - rtj70
Is there space (apart from the boot itself) to put the spare wheel?

Are the sizes of the wheel and tyre the same on the old and new cars?
2006 2.0 Run Flats - should they stay or go? - Aocal
Yes, there is a space in the boot for a spare.

I'm not sure about the wheel sizes, I was kinda hoping someone else would know from experience.

My mate just said that even if it does fit the weight of the 5 series may be considerably more than the 3 series and the wheel might not be strong enough????
2006 2.0 Run Flats - should they stay or go? - Lygonos
Run-flat equipped BMWs have their suspension tuned to go with the much stiffer sidewalled tyres. If you convert to standard tyres, this may adversely affect the car's handling and ride.

Also, as far as I am aware, run-flats use wheels with a different bead to normal tyres, so you will need to change all the wheels as well as the tyres. The tyre-pressure monitoring system will not be compatible any more and may throw faults up.

Finally you should tell your insurer if you are changing to non-standard tyres as this may affect the premium, or the likelihood of them honouring a claim if you do not inform them.

Bottom line: stick to the run flats. Not worth the hassle and expense switching to regular radials.
2006 2.0 Run Flats - should they stay or go? - Peter S
Whilst BMW claim that the suspension of the 5 series is tuned for runflats, my experience, along with many others is that this is just not true. The ride is much improved by replaing runflats for standard tyres, and in fact all 5 series with the 19" wheel option (and all M Cars) are fitted with standard tyres.

Current BMW 5'ers can easily use standard tyres on the alloys fitted; there is no difference in the tyre bead, though the side wall is much stiffer. Plenty of people on various BMW forums have carried out just this swap. The tyre well in the boot will only take a space saver wheel though, and BMW will sell you one, along with jack and wheel brace, for around £160.

No evidence that the TPS sytem is affected either; this works using the ABS sensors to identify differences in rolling radius of the wheel, so again should be unaffected.

As with all modifications, I guess you're correct to say the insurance company must be informed; how far do you take it though? My current Audi came with Continental tyres, which I've replaced with Goodyear (not fitted as OE by Audi AFAIK). Should I tell them this as well?

Just my thoughts...

Peter
2006 2.0 Run Flats - should they stay or go? - Hamsafar
I have read nothing but positives from people replacing runflats (on any car) with normal tyres.
2006 2.0 Run Flats - should they stay or go? - Dude - {P}

The subject of run flat tyres has been discussed in some considerable detail on the BMW Land forum and the concensus of opinion is that it is well worth while making the switch.

Not only are conventional tyres cheaper to replace, they will travel more miles before needing replacement, improve the ride characteristics of the car and will eliminate tram lining, which is prevalent with run flats particularly in cold winter conditions.

Go ahead and make the change, you will not regret it. !!!!!
2006 2.0 Run Flats - should they stay or go? - andyframpton
If I replace my run flats which conventional tyres will the run flat indicator come up with trye puncture! will need to get the diagnostic machine to reset the system?
I am toying with changing from the existing 18" rims to 19" rims will this have any effect on the handling etc

Andy
2006 2.0 Run Flats - should they stay or go? - CraigP
If I replace my run flats which conventional tyres

Do you not need to replace the rims too? Are they not different to accomodate the RF tyres?
will the run flat indicator come up with trye puncture

Shouldn't do, i understand it's just looking for difference in wheel speed across an axle (a flat tyre has a smaller diameter so has to turn more times to cover the same distance).
changing from the existing 18" rims to 19" rims will this have any effect on the handling etc

Wont be as comfortable ride. Provided quality tyres, should have a stiffer sidewall like runflats do so might handle more predictably when turning in hard (like run flats do).

2006 2.0 Run Flats - should they stay or go? - Peter.N.
The smaller the wheel diameter and larger the tyre the better the ride will be, but if you dont mind the hard ride then larger wheels with low profile tyres will give you better handling, personally, I would go with the good ride - but then I would use cross plies if they still made them!