Jaguar x-type advice - audiA6tdi
Ive been offered a jag 2.0tdci on an 05 for around £3000 with 100k on the clock. Car has been a company car and full jag service history. The car was filled with petrol a while ago and has had a £2k bill from jag and now seems to be running fine. Its also on its 2nd clutch - is this usual?
Anyway what im after is some advice - is this a good deal and are these cars anygood?
I dont do a great mileage but would like something decent to upgrade my Astra from.
The car is a Silver Jag saloon 2.0D Classic. Glass's guide is £4125.

Thanks
Dave
Anyone!
Jaguar x-type advice - R75
My parents run one and like it, same year but lower mileage. They have had no problems. Personally I would take it a that price, but wait for the "Mondeo in disguise" brigade to come along and pooh pooh it!!!!
Jaguar x-type advice - MVP
I think you pay your money and take your chance

At this price level you could have a cheap prestige motor, or an expensive money pit - are you feeling lucky?

MVP

Edited by MVP on 24/11/2008 at 09:50

I used to work at Ford so I no the Mondeo well and its a pretty good car. Is the 2.0 tdci belt or chain? The car is on its 2nd clutch - any reason why these fail?
Jaguar x-type advice - rtj70
Clutch on my Mondeo was slipping at arounf 47k but I know that was related to when I had to do a hill start in the lakes on a very steep incline with the car fully loaded. It lasted over 20k miles after that mind but had to be part of the cause.

You can burn out a clutch in minutes so it could just be driving style.
Jaguar x-type advice - bathtub tom
>>The car was filled with petrol

Knowing that, I'd run a mile, although you could be lucky.
Im not afraid to buy if its been through the jag workshop. When i was working in the trade the amount of cars that had the wrong fuel in was a joke. Salesman would often put the wrong fuel in then simply top it up with the right fuel and handover to the customer. I suspect that there are thousands of cars sitting on forecourts now that have had the incorrect fuel inside them at one time.

Im more concerned about the clutch situation to be honest.
Jaguar x-type advice - mike hannon
Ok, someone has to do it - pooh, pooh.
And it has already had a misfill and a big bill, eh?
Nobody HAS to fall for this one.
Can anyone confirm is this belt or chain driven on the 2.0tdci?
Jaguar x-type advice - Alby Back
Jag diesel is a chain.
Jaguar x-type advice - madf
Simple answer:
Can you buy a GOOD warranty that will cover most things?
And have you £2,000 in reserve that will cover any unforseen repairs excluded by warranty.

If the answer to both is NO, you are being financially unrealistic and gambling.

You may win or lose.. but given the car history it may be on the verge of very expensive repairs... or lots of £150 repairs.

I don't gamble buying cars..

PS and I would expect the tyres to be 100% nearly new.
Jaguar x-type advice - movilogo
Even if you get a 3rd party warranty, please be aware that they will use every opportunity to refuse claim if they decide the fault happened because of that mis-fueling.

Most warranties will exclude things like window mechanism etc. For Jaguars, they can cost £200-£300 (few months back someone mentioned that in this forum).

You have not mentioned (or I missed) whether you're buying from dealer or privately. If from dealer, they are bound to give you some warranty.

If private, well - it's your choice after all.

Car is from my father in law its one of his fleet cars off his company. He has warned me not to buy it - on the basis that he would feel bad if anything went wrong. Car has just had a new cluth at Jag dealer and some other work that totalled up to £2000. He has had it from new and it has full jag history. Its an 05 reg

The car is worth a lot more than £3000k so i feel its a good buy.

I recently brought a 02 plate astra dti off him for £750 and resold for £2200.
So he said if I can make some money off the Jag then have it but if anything goes wrong dont come back to me etc.

Im going to take a look on Thursday and take it for a drive and a good look over etc.
I may sell it on but Im tempted to keep it as Id like a nice car. Driving an old astra was not much fun!

Jaguar x-type advice - Altea Ego
you are utterly barmy to buy a modern diesel that you know to be misfuelled.
If the car has been through jag workshop then Id be confident of the work being done correctly. I have sold cars in the past at Ford that have been misfuelled. The fact the car is so cheap to buy is a bonus.
The car was misfuelled about 2 years ago. Bill for recent work was the clutch.
Jaguar x-type advice - jbif
you are utterly barmy to buy a modern diesel that you know to be misfuelled.

Just as barmy as the others who post details of their intended purchases, and are given a myriad of reasons not to buy, yet find reasons to dismiss the negative input. It seems they condition themselves to only hear/see positive feedback, so that they can feel vindicated in going ahead with their dodgy decision.

;-)
[ p.s. re the questions on cambelt or chain; I have yet to see someone ask their question by prefixing it with: "I have checked the very useful HJ's FAQ pages, and seen
www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=54
but the answer is not there, so can someone confirm whether my car has a chain or belt ..? " IMO, they seem to want ready made easy spoon-fed answers.
At least he tried:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=69...3 ] ;-)

Edited by jbif on 26/11/2008 at 11:51

If the car was for sale at £4000 or £5000 i may agree with you but at £3000k i can make a tidy profit on it, or keep it for myself and gamble on the possibility of some bills.
Jaguar x-type advice - andyfr
I don't know about making a profit, there are lots of cars just not selling.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Edited by andyfr on 26/11/2008 at 12:33

Jaguar x-type advice - davidh
Are you going to tell any potential new owner about the cars past?

Have you thought about how that might affect the vehicles value and saleability?

Jaguar x-type advice - Alby Back
Funny amount of money isn't it, £3000 ? Not a king's ransom by modern standards but still enough to be missed by most people if it turned out to be a lemon. I think it would be the sort of money I would spend on something which I intended to run to the end of its life. If it is in good order now and you feel confident to buy, it could actually be a very good purchase as a longish term prospect. Despite its humble underpinnings it does have a wee bit more presence than most things you could buy at that age and mileage for that sort of outlay.

Probably worth a punt in my view but I wouldn't say it'd be an easy thing to sell on for a profit. If you just fancy it for yourself it's quite a lot of car for £3000.
Chances are some of you are driving a car that was once misfueled. I guess the worst prone cars are those that have been ex rentals with many people driving them. Ex rentals are on forecourts and 'Approved used' car schemes such as Ford Direct.

From Greenflag...
Men are more likely to put the wrong fuel in their car ? and more likely to run out of petrol while on the road, according to recent research by roadside rescue company Green Flag.

More than one in ten accident-prone Brits have filled up their car with the wrong type of fuel according to new research. Half of those caused so much damage to their vehicle it took on average of £125 to repair after the cock-up.

And if we Brits aren?t putting in the wrong type of fuel ? we aren?t putting any in at all ? almost half of us have run out of petrol or diesel according the survey of 4,000 motorists by Green Flag.

But men are more likely to put diesel in a petrol car or vice versa, according to Green Flag. A preoccupied 14 per cent of blokes admitted to putting in the wrong fuel compared to only ten per cent of females.