2002 2.0 Hdi 90 BHP - Fuel Economy - markysparky
I purchased my Peugeot back in April. Its done just over 100k but I believe I should be getting better fuel economy.

I travel 90 miles a day to work and back and my top speed is only 70 mph with lots of straight roads at around 60 mph. The tyres are pumped up to the correct pressure and I don't thrash it very often, just now and again. I seem to be only getting about 35-38 mpg. Although even when I have a very steady drive it still seems to drink fuel.

Any suggestions or is this acceptable but it does seem to be drinking fuel.

Mark

{52 changed to 2002 as 52 is the reg plate, not the 'year of manufacture' - which is what the fill in box requested}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 16/11/2008 at 13:20

52 2.0 307 Hdi 90 BHP - Fuel Economy - Armitage Shanks {p}
307 - 04 110bhp 1560cc with 50K. I can get 65 (computer figure) on a steady motorway run and 60 driving country A & B roads to and from work. Mpg appears to be up to 5 better in the summer. Hope this helps! BTW - your handbook will quote the Government figures, which are almost achieveable with careful driving. What does your's suggest could be managed?
52 2.0 307 Hdi 90 BHP - Fuel Economy - 659FBE
I think the 90 BHP HDi suffers badly in the economy league by not having an intercooler.

I borrowed a friend's 306 HDi for a particular journey I do quite often in my own PD diesel. Although the 306 chassis is quite charming in providing informative handling, the 90 HP engine I found pretty gutless (my PD is a 130). On the basis of a rough check when I filled the tank before handing it back to him, it used rather more fuel than my car would have done for a similar job of work at the same speeds.

A diesel engine with a low charge density is not efficient.

52 2.0 307 Hdi 90 BHP - Fuel Economy - Bromptonaut
The 2.0 HDi 110 in my 2000/X Xantia manages around 42-44 (brim/brim). Very difficult to improve on that or, short of the week it spent up and down the Alpe d'Huez road, get it much worse.
2002 2.0 Hdi 90 BHP - Fuel Economy - corblimeyguvnar
Er indoors has the same motor, 2003, 49k, her daily 5 mile trip to work and back and the odd shopping 10 miler gives mpg of around 38 (oh and she still cant work out how to get it into 5th!!!), if i take it on a run, 60ish no heavy footedness I can get high 40's or more, as soon as I boot it a bit and take it over 70 the mpg drops to below 40, really bopping it gives 35 or less.
So your mpg doesnt sound too out of the ordinary, I have done a bit of super eco driving and got well over 50 but twas a tad boring after a while.
Has the motor been serviced recently, I Forte Diesel treatment 'ers every 3k and that seems to help 'free' everything up.

Cheers
CBG