05 318i SE auto, just bought one on auction - xenu
1. Registered Dec-05, is it still under warranty?

2. Its done 75K, and i want to service it (although its been serviced at 67k before i bought). Should i take to a BMW dealer, or to my local service center? Should i ask them to check anything specific?

thanks.

Edited by Pugugly on 16/11/2008 at 13:59

Just bought a 318i SE auto 55 reg 2005 on auction - NARU
1. Registered Dec-05 is it still under warranty? Its done 75K

Not under the normal 3 year/60,000 mile warranty!
Just bought a 318i SE auto 55 reg 2005 on auction - Ian (Cape Town)
I often wonder about cars sold at auction.
Why?
Are they repo's, in which case they've probably had the tar whaled out of them on the basis that 'they're taking it back next week anyways...' ?
Is it dealer PX stock they are trying to offload to make a few £?

The local BMW chaps should be able to give you a service history on it anyways.
Just bought a 318i SE auto 55 reg 2005 on auction - smokie
Often just end of lease (ex company cars) - esecially at virtually exactly three years old

Edited by smokie on 14/11/2008 at 15:38

Just bought a 318i SE auto 55 reg 2005 on auction - Altea Ego
Often just end of lease (ex company cars) - esecially at virtually exactly three years
old

Yup

Ouer lease cars go straight to auction at end of lease. 90% are gooduns - heavy motorway mileage, well run in, serviced on the dot.
Just bought a 318i SE auto 55 reg 2005 on auction - xenu
its had 1 owner, the lease company (but might be sub leased to different drives maybe). the auctions are organized by company anyway. The big dealers have their auction and they are usually P/X.

But never know what surprise might come up at the service.
darn i was hoping it would be unlimited 3 year
Not under the normal 3 year/60 000 mile warranty!
Just bought a 318i SE auto 55 reg 2005 on auction - rtj70
BMW do not do unlimited warranties. And if they did it would run out in 3 weeks anyway.
Just bought a 318i SE auto 55 reg 2005 on auction - jbif
BMW do not do unlimited warranties. ..

Honestjohn, autocar, etc. say different:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=36
BMW 3-Series E46 (1998 - 2005)
"Improved unlimited mileage two year full manufacturer warranty followed by one year full dealer warranty from November 2001, making total three year unlimited mileage warranty. "

Thanks.
Do you know what a "dealer warranty" means, and how that differs from "manufacturer warranty". Does that mean the dealer shoulders the cost, and i have to take it to the dealer who first sold this car?
Just bought a 318i SE auto 55 reg 2005 on auction - jbif
Do you know what a "dealer warranty" means

Definition of current BMW 3 yr warranty is on their website under "ownership benefits" of each model.

Generally a warranty is in two parts; a manufacturer will have a 2-year warranty, followed by a 1-year [or more] dealer warranty. For the former part, you generally may have to show that it has been serviced in line with recommendations using approved parts by a competent garage. For the latter part, you usually have to show that the car has been serviced in the official dealership network.

As your car is so close to coming out of warranty, it would be a good idea to get it booked in now for a service and check for any warranty items that might need fixing.

thanks to everyone for clearing up the warranty issues.
Just bought a 318i SE auto 55 reg 2005 on auction - CJay{P}
BMW do not do unlimited warranties. And if they did it would run out in
3 weeks anyway.

Xenu, as you might have noticed, there are quite a lot of people who do not like BMWs

If your car was registered in the UK, it is still under warranty. AFAIK, BMW and Mercedes are the only two manufacturers who do not have a mileage cap on their warranties.

Your car is odd. By the time 55 plate came out, E90 was introduced into the market.

If it was serviced at 67k, and now it reads 75k - just change the oil. That would do. There is no need to go to a dealer to do an oil change.
Just bought a 318i SE auto 55 reg 2005 on auction - Bill Payer
Am I the only one surprised that the OP has bought at auction yet seems to know little about the vehicle?
Just bought a 318i SE auto 55 reg 2005 on auction - rtj70
How would you know much about any vehicle at auction? My Mondeo TDCi Ghia that will have gone to auction last year will have looked in excellent condition and had lowish miles on a 53 plate. Rear doors were rusting at the bottom. I did all I could by leaving some printed pages in the glovebox and under the carpet in the boot for someone to see - but you don't get to see that much of a car at auction and they were probably found before the auction.

And my Passat that went to auction too in 2003 had had a frontal impact that took about £4500 to fix... it looked like new. And it had a long list of problems and had the gearbox replaced within three weeks (there was nothing wrong with it) whilst the garage looked into the turbo whine problem which was a turbo problem. They would not listen...
Just bought a 318i SE auto 55 reg 2005 on auction - Optimist
No, you're not, Bill. You're not going to know everything about the individual car but I'd have thought you'd know whether or not it was still in warranty.

Edited by Optimist on 14/11/2008 at 23:06

Just bought a 318i SE auto 55 reg 2005 on auction - Vansboy
Agree with Bill!!

The only DEFINITE thing Xenu will have going for him, assuming he bought in BCA/Manheim, as he indicates more than likley, is that he'd be really unlucky to have bought badly.

With prices as they are now, & a 'direct' entry, he'll only have paid one bid too much!!

So that £50 has probaly saved him £800!!

But cost a trader his weeks wages!!

VB
05 318i SE auto, just bought one on auction - Hector Brocklebank
May I ask what you paid, xenu?
its an E90 model, didn't realise i picked the wrong forum.

i freely admit i know little about the car. i just took a punt. having bought cars privately and through dealers i still managed to pick duds. So i thought i might as well pick blindly at auctions so can save a bit when buying my (potential) dud.

cost me about 6200 incl fees. which is cheap but it does have a stain in the boot (some syrup) and a small hole in upholstery so not in prefect inside.

05 318i SE auto, just bought one on auction - Pugugly
Corrected the drop down menu selection thingy for you

Keep us posted on how it goes.
05 318i SE auto, just bought one on auction - jbif
its an E90 model,

In which case, you have a BMW 3yr unlimited mileage warranty.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=802
"3 year UNLIMITED MILEAGE warranty from 2005."

05 318i SE auto, just bought one on auction - rtj70
In which case you have about 3 weeks of the warranty left so worthwhile getting it checked over I would think... or I would anyway.
05 318i SE auto, just bought one on auction - Bill Payer
i freely admit i know little about the car. i just took a punt.

Fair enough - thanks for the response. With all the horrors we hear about auction buys you just struck me as being brave to have bought a car with unknowns such as warranty status.
Picked up the car yesterday, after sorting out insurance etc. It had 15 days tax left so that saved some hassle. Driving out the car felt a bit weird and the brakes squeaked. Got to the first petrol station and filled up with 64.7 litres (in a 63 litre tank) so must have been running on fumes. It drove much better with some juice. The breaks stopped squeaking too, must have been dust.

First impressions:
Performance: Very good and smooth. Acceleration from start isn't brilliant, but mid range is great, overtaking is a breeze on the A roads. Definitely a solid motorway cruiser.
Handling: Great! Very well balanced around turns, so great for my roundabout infested town. Never gone around corners so fast with such ease.
Autobox: Steptronic, not really got the feel of it yet. Don?t think I'll be using it. Sport mode has good ratios though. I can feel the gear change from 1 to 2, and to a lesser extend downshifting 2 to 1. I think they could be a little closer together.
Spec: The SE spec is adequate more than luxurious. The standard and ES spec must be very basic.

Initially the car looks good. Very quite inside. Good breaks. Seats are still comfortable, despite heavy use. All the electrics work, so creaks or squeaks, no niggling issues so far. I will take it in to the service nevertheless, although I cant see any warranty issues.
05 318i SE auto, just bought one on auction - MVP
I would get it down to a BMW Dealer for an MOT ASAP so any warantee problems that might not be obvious can be fixed.

MVP
05 318i SE auto, just bought one on auction - smokie
Nice one. I've bought a few at auction - always ex lease - and (touch wood etc) never had a problem. SO long as you know the risk you've only got yourself to blame if it goes wrong, but it's very nice praising yourself when it all goes right.
05 318i SE auto, just bought one on auction - Pugugly
Hope you enjoy hanging out the tail - not too much though !