Forced out of car due to insurance blunder Vol 3. - Fullchat
Ted

" What happened to the 5 days to produce your documents? "

Well that went up to 7 days with a few other 'get out clauses'. As you will have experienced during your service processes are still forever changing and not necessarily for the better as we strive to meet the demands of our 'customers'.

Edited by Pugugly on 07/11/2008 at 18:29

Forced out of car due to insurance blunder Vol 3 - NowWheels
" What happened to the 5 days to produce your documents? "
Well that went up to 7 days with a few other 'get out clauses'. As
you will have experienced during your service processes are still forever changing and not necessarily
for the better as we strive to meet the demands of our 'customers'.

That begs the question of who the police's "customers" are. Is the customer the police authority or government, or is the ordinary citizen who expects fair play when they fall under suspicion?

Edited by Pugugly on 07/11/2008 at 18:30

Forced out of car due to insurance blunder Vol 3. - ijustdonotbelieveit
I was stopped this evening, just north of Ipswich, for no insurance on my car.

Up to now I had always relied on the insurance company to remind me with renewal letters ect.. Fully accept that it was entirely my own fault, but having just moved house in summer and having different tax, MOT and insurance dates on three ( yes I know - how lucky) vehicles, I just lost control of the dates.

More to the point for this discussion thread:

1) The police officer was very, very pleasant.

2) Fortunately, my wife was with me and she is insurred with another company.

Here's the interesting bit - I could not remember the companies name, but the officer was able to 'search' on her name and D.O.B. and find her details.

This allowed the officer to show us some discression and allowed my wife to drive us home.

My main gripe seems to be with the insurance company for not making contact with me to warn me the insurance was lapsing. Surely this "no insurance database" could be used to forward letters to owners warning them of the consequences.

This leads onto my other gripe, I own another vehicle with the same insurance company that is up to date and legal ect.. Why can we not have third party cover for other vehicles we own? Just like we have third party cover for any vehicle owned by another person.

For nearly a month now I have been driving with no insurance - the thought just leaves me horrified. Crashes, children, other peoples lives, my families lives, where's the sense in having a database and just ambushing people?

Forced out of car due to insurance blunder Vol 3 - Mapmaker
>> For nearly a month now I have been driving with no insurance - the thought
just leaves me horrified. Crashes children other peoples lives my families lives where's the sense
in having a database and just ambushing people?

It horrifies me that you have been driving uninsured for a month too. You might have crashed into me. Thank goodness for the MID, that's one fewer uninsured driver on the roads - I hope you did the decent thing and backdated the insurance to the date it expired - remember, you've been driving with the benefit of the cover for uninsured drivers.

It seems to me that the MID worked extremely well in this case. Also, as you WERE driving uninsured, the police appear to have been very decent in not charging you.

As an aside, it bemuses me as to why, when stopped without insurance under circumstances like these, people don't get straight onto the phone to their ins. co. and pay for insurance!

Forced out of car due to insurance blunder Vol 3. - gmac
ijustdonotbelieveit,

If I read your posting correctly you moved house but did not inform your insurer. How exactly were they going to get in touch with you to remind you that your policy was about to lapse ?
When you moved house did you setup an auto forward with the post office ?

The insurance database has many, many faults but all joking aside Crystal Ball for Oracle has not been released yet as far as I am aware.

Edited by gmac on 07/11/2008 at 19:56