Vauxhall Warranties - imb
I already have a discuusion going on whether a deal I have been offered on a pre reg zafira is any good.

I have a question about manufacturers 3 year warranty (actually 28mths) in this car's case. What does it cover?

The reason I ask is the dealer offered an additional 3 year warranty for £399 saying that the warranty that came with new cars was 'step down' ie. in the 1st year it covers so much, in the 2nd yr what's covered is less and, in the 3rd yr even less is covered. However you still have to stick to manufacturers service guidelines so that the warrnty is not null & void.

Are 3 yr warranties therefore a con?

Vauxhall Warranties - Dynamic Dave

tinyurl.com/6s3lav shortened link to Vauxhall's website

New vehicle warranty

All Vauxhall vehicles are covered by a one-year unlimited mileage manufacturer's warranty. An additional second and third year no-fee customer option warranty is also available in the UK. This additional warranty carries a mileage limit of 60,000 miles from first registration for all cars and vans except Vivaro and Movano vans, the additional warranty for which carries a limit of 100,000 miles from first registration.

Full details of Vauxhall's warranties including terms, conditions and exclusions are obtainable through any authorised dealer.

No mention that the 3rd year covers less than year 2.
However you still have to stick to manufacturers service guidelines so that the warranty is not null & void.

Not true. www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=89

However, other garages may not be aware of recalls and other work that Vauxhall may well know about.
Vauxhall Warranties - jase1
I don't trust warranties that aren't manufacturer-backed.

If anything goes wrong just out of warranty you're in the hands of the dealer -- the manufacturer won't want to know.

Plenty of cars around with proper warranties -- not just pieces of paper from the dealer. Why take the risk?

If everyone voted with their feet, Vauxhall and Ford would be forced to fall into line. One year manufacturer's warranty in 2008 is a joke.
Vauxhall Warranties - imb
Which manufacturers cover the 3 yrs as opposed to the 1st only?
Vauxhall Warranties - qxman {p}
Which manufacturers cover the 3 yrs as opposed to the 1st only?

I know Subaru do. I think most over manufacturers cover the first two years (this is more or less standard throughout Europe) with the third year only being picked up by the dealer. I have strong doubts about dealer-backed warranties after a colleague had massive and expensive problems in the the third year of a Ford 'warranty', with unresolved faults from years 1 and 2 not being sorted in the 3rd year.
Vauxhall Warranties - Falkirk Bairn
The warranties offered by manufacturers varies widely - Honda is 3 yrs 90K, Nissan is 3 yrs - not sure of the mileage.

Then there are the 5 & 7 yr warranties of Hyundai & Kia.

Warranties on 2nd hand vary widely Lexus offers 12 mths on their approved used and is "the same" as a new car - everything seems to be covered.

2 sons had the same problem - rusty disks after 2 years with the Lexus - repaired under warranty - pads although worn replaced as rusty disks had damaged pads. Service Mgr said that the owner should only pay for wear and tear+ damage (pads, tyres etc) in the 1st 3 years - everything else is warranty

Toyota Celica at just over 1 year old, disks not covered and he was charged £220 for disks and pads. Despite correspondence my son never saw his £220 refunded. He now drives a BMW and vows not to buy Toyota again despite this being the only fault in 4.5 years of owning car.
Vauxhall Warranties - L'escargot
Are 3 yr warranties therefore a con?

No. They always tell you the terms of the warranty.
Vauxhall Warranties - stunorthants26
I recall talking at length with a Fiat dealer about their warranty. He said to me that basically, the dealer warranty in 2nd and 3rd year covered many components themselves, but not leaks nor wiring issues - which seems to suggest that those are areas of concern since they wont cover them.
As such, I didnt buy the car.

Subaru offered a years manuf' type warranty on a 4 year old Forester. Tells me all I need to know about who has confidence in their cars!

Add Daihatsu to the five year warranty brigade.
Vauxhall Warranties - qxman {p}
>> Are 3 yr warranties therefore a con?

Depends what you mean by a 'con'.
When you're buying you're usually told (verbally) that the warranty gives you 'peace of mind' since everything is covered. When something does actually go wrong its either specifically excluded, 'wear and tear' or driver abuse.
I think a lot of these are not 'warranties' in the accepted sense, but insurance policies which cover the failure of some specific items on the car. The key is to approach with scepticism and read the policy document thoroughly!