(Clutch & other) problems on Toyota Avensis 2005 - j_cocker
Less than 2 years ago I bought a low-milage 1.5-year-old Toyota Avensis 2.0 D4D T3-X hatchback from a reputable dealer.

No trouble since, until last weekend when, without any warning, the clutch went. Talking to the Toyota dealer/garage that I bought it from, who took it apart, they feel that it is due to driver error - no surprise there.

I have now been informed that the clutch (apparently completely destroyed and I "should have noticed something earlier") and the flyweel need replacing at around £1400!

I've never had a clutch go before and that's with over 25 years' of driving. To add insult I was also informed that the starter also needs replacing - that would be another £700 please...

I find it hard to swallow - that car is now 3.5 year old (3 year warranty), and I would expect an £18k car to last just a little longer... The car has done just over 30k miles so far, and was always serviced at the same garage/dealership . I have had cars for many years, I always buy them nearly new (and within the manufacturer guarantee), keep them for 4 years or so, and have never, ever, had to spent a penny on them (mainly Nissans) beyond annual servicing.

I would love to know if anyone else has suffered the same or been told similar by the dealer.

(Clutch & other) problems on Toyota Avensis 2005 - qxman {p}
I take it that since its a Diesel car this has a dual-mass flywheel? Failure of these seems to be widespread across so many cars, I read and hear about so many of these going wrong and they cost such a lot to replace. Presumably the only solution is to avoid cars with DMF until the technology is improved. I guess if you don't use the clutch much (spend all day on M-way) then they are OK !!
(Clutch & other) problems on Toyota Avensis 2005 - Falkirk Bairn
Welcome to the world of DMF (Dual Mass Flywheel) -

Look for other articles on DMF and you will find you are not alone.-

Neighbour - Transit van did just the same a few months back but then it is the employer that foots the bill for clutch, flywheel & starter IIRC
Thanks for that.

What does the panel think about my chances of challenging Toyota to pick up (all or some of) the bill?
(Clutch & other) problems on Toyota Avensis 2005 - harib
It's always interesting how often DMF/clutch failure is put down to driver error these days. Just over 30K miles is very low for this kind of failure. What are your normal kind of trips? Stop/start driving or motorway use? Do you often accelerate hard away from the lights in 1st/2nd? This seems to be one of the catalysts for clutch failures in diesels at the moment.
(Clutch & other) problems on Toyota Avensis 2005 - pd
Early failure of the clutch/DMF on the D4 Avensis is not unknown. 2003-2004 models seem particularly prone.
(Clutch & other) problems on Toyota Avensis 2005 - Snakey
My 2004 1.8 Avensis had a new clutch in at 12k when it was only 18 months old, and then a clutch pedal spring a few weeks later.Not impressed at all.

Mine won't have had the DMF on it, but 12k/18 months was pretty poor for a 'reliable' brand. Toyota did cough up for it, but only after much complaining.
Thanks for the links. From a quick Google last night I already noticed that the clutch problem is by no means isolated.

Well, I just had a long chat with Toyota. They, as one would expect, completely washed their hand of it, and claimed normal wear and tear and driving style (by myself and/or the previous owner). Very interesting, especially with regards to the starter, and also when taking into account that I have been driving cars for ~25 years no without any such problem...

They eventually agreed to pay £400 or the just under £1000 total parts bill.

It could well have been a one-off bad car. However, as I have had many other (small, admittedly) niggling problems with this car, I have just had enough of their garage's poor service and the car's poor reliability.

Car is going to be exchanged after the new year - for anything but a Toyota. They also missed on my wife who was planning to buy a new Yaris then as well.
(Clutch & other) problems on Toyota Avensis 2005 - quizman
A friend has a 05reg Avensis diesel. Just before the 3 year warranty was over, the Toyota garage noticed, during a service, an oil leak from the gearbox. They mended the leak and put in a new clutch, I don't know why, free of charge.
Not a bad result IMO, even though I dislike Japanese cars.
(Clutch & other) problems on Toyota Avensis 2005 - wrangler_rover
My Avensis Diesel is early 2006.
When I got it as a company car 12 months ago, the clutch was very stiff, recently at 61k miles, it needed a new clutch, since this was fitted, the clutch pedal is a lot less stiff.
(Clutch & other) problems on Toyota Avensis 2005 - egorman1
Less than 2 years ago I bought a low-milage 1.5-year-old Toyota Avensis 2.0 D4D T3-X hatchback from a reputable dealer. No trouble since, until last weekend when, without any warning, the clutch went. Talking to the Toyota dealer/garage that I bought it from, who took it apart, they feel that it is due to driver error - no surprise there. I have now been informed that the clutch (apparently completely destroyed and I "should have noticed something earlier") and the flyweel need replacing at around £1400! I've never had a clutch go before and that's with over 25 years' of driving. To add insult I was also informed that the starter also needs replacing - that would be another £700 please... I find it hard to swallow - that car is now 3.5 year old (3 year warranty), and I would expect an £18k car to last just a little longer... The car has done just over 30k miles so far, and was always serviced at the same garage/dealership . I have had cars for many years, I always buy them nearly new (and within the manufacturer guarantee), keep them for 4 years or so, and have never, ever, had to spent a penny on them (mainly Nissans) beyond annual servicing. I would love to know if anyone else has suffered the same or been told similar by the dealer.

last weekend12/7/2010 clutch went (in lake district )Had to get AA tow to Warrington Toyota dealer .Delivered keys to dealer on Monday morning.On tuesday morning told that clutch had burnt out and flywheel damaged due to excessive heat.Totalcost would be £1400 but as i had had it maintained regulary they would charge me only £1100. Car's 3 yr warrenty expired on 3/7/2010 after last 10k sevice on 28/6/2010 after 55Kmiles .Told Toyota about clutch judder in first gear last year but no action taken by dealer .Not impressed!!!