Car battery questions - tyro
1. How do I know if I need a new battery?

(I ask because I was on holiday recently, and left my car in the airport long stay car park. The car started, I drove for half an hour or so, then had to stop, and put on hazard warning lights for some minutes. When I tried to start up engine, battery was dead. It was restarted and has started each time since, but I gather that it is fairly common for cars left in airport long stay car parks to have flat batteries. The vehicle is over 6 years old now.)

2. What is the best kind of battery to get?

I ask because the CBCB says "Beware of cheap 'Tudor' batteries which can blow acid out of the vent, damaging paint and underbonnet components. Best replace with Citroen branded battery."

www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=62

Oddly enough, the OE on my Berlingo was a Tudor battery. Do I get a Citroen branded battery, or is there another brand out there that is as good or better?
Car battery questions - mrsarcasm
AC Delco batteries are very good, either from an AC Delco supplier or branded as Vauxhall ie from a Vauxhall Dealer.
Car battery questions - Pat L
Sorry if it seems like I'm hijacking the thread but I've got a similar problem. The battery on my Audi A4 is the original (over 8 years old) and it must be living on borrowed time so I thought I'd replace it before it fails (it's bound to fail inconveniently leaving my wife stranded waiting for the AA). I meant to do it before winter last year but didn't get round to it, but I think I'm pushing my luck now!

So, where should I get a replacement - I want a good one that'll last a few years.
Car battery questions - daveyjp
Find your local Bosch service centre - our local one is extremely well managed and they know their stuff. They will carry out a full charging system check and advise on which battery to consider as a replacement.
Car battery questions - OldSock
Battery life can vary enormously - with equally various failure modes. Some will just die suddenly, whilst for others it can be a more lingering affair.

Assuming the charging circuit is in good health, testing the battery is fairly straightforward for any garage. If you have any doubts, change it!

I'd avoid the 'cheapies' wherever possible, and I'd recommend fitting the highest-capacity battery which will fit the tray - usually specified for the diesel variant.

The (original) battery in my S80 is coming up for nine years old and still spins the engine briskly - even on the coldest mornings! It says 'Volvo' on it.
Car battery questions - gordonbennet
Tyro and PatL, you will both get good quality Bosch batteries at good prices from GSF or Eurocarparts, certainly worth phoning your nearest branches.

Sometimes your own main dealer is worth a call, Toyota for example being very competitive for original quality.

Car battery questions - NARU
Costco sell Bosch batteries at excellent prices if you know someone who is a member.
Car battery questions - quizman
Bosch and Varta are good batteries, I think they are both the same.
I would get a Bosch from Costco, or a Varta from Derby Motor Factors.

My 7 year old battery will need replacing soon. Is it OK to just disconnect the old one and replace, or do you have to keep the wiring live?
Car battery questions - billy25
Used and recommended this firm many times (no connection, just a extremely satisfied customer!)

Tayna Electrical Ltd.

www.tayna .co.uk

Billy

Car battery questions - 1400ted
My 7 year old battery will need replacing soon. Is it OK to just disconnect the old one and replace, or do you have to keep the wiring live?

If your radio is coded then you may need to re-code it if you disconnect. What I do is connect jump leads to the battery terminals and the other end to a slave battery or car. Remove the terminals with the leads still on . fit new battery, replace terminals then remove jump leads.
There may be other implications with electronics on some cars so check with an auto electrician if your car is one of these.

Although unavailable now, Lada batteries were top class, able to give power in Siberian temperatures.
I have two batteries on the bench which have retained full charge for over a year without being used. I is a Dagenite and the other is a Halfords branded one with the terminals made the wrong way round.
Ted
Car battery questions - jc2
In the "Auto Express" tests,two Halfords batteries were in the top three.

Edited by jc2 on 31/10/2008 at 08:08

Car battery questions - Andrew-T
>The (original) battery in my S80 is coming up for nine years old <

In July I decided to change the (original) battery in my 9-y-o 306 diesel as it was beginning to find it harder to start the car. The battery tester at ATS said 'Good battery' but I chose to renew it anyway because of its age. Afterwards I realised that if I had simply cleaned the terminals and reseated the clamp it would probably have been fine. But I don't regret it as I still reckon it had a longer life than could be expected - possibly because I had kept the cell levels topped up. That's not possible on many batteries.

Edited by Andrew-T on 31/10/2008 at 11:04

Car battery questions - Clk Sec
>>>In the "Auto Express" tests,two Halfords batteries were in the top three.

I bought the Halfords standard battery after reading the above. Exide came out best, but I couldn?t find one locally.

Actually, my OE battery lasted around 5 years, but as a low mileage driver I was having to give it a quick charge every 6 weeks or so from new. This hasn?t been necessary with the Halfords.

Cost around £50 and I think they gave me a £2 voucher for taking the old one off my hands.

Clk Sec

Car battery questions - madf
Mrs Madf's 15 year old 106 diesel has had 4 batteries:
Original - 4 years
then 1 Halfords lasted 2.8 years of its three year warranty replaced
foc by another Halfords one which lasted just over 3 years and out of warranty.

So I bought the cheapest heavy duty battery I could from a factor - make unkown but £10 or so less than Halfords and it has lasted 4 years so far.

Since the car does stop start 1 mile average journy length low mileage all the year, it's a killer of batteries. In winter occasional charging is required as night use flattens batteries quickly as she does not drive long enough to recharge it - lights/heater and demister all going.

Motto: buy a cheap heavy duty battery.
Car battery questions - Pica
I have not tried one yet but the batteries that keep getting recommended to me are the Red Top Optima ones. Lots of positive opinions on them
Car battery questions - movilogo
1. In my car's battery, there is an indicator (can be seen from top of the battery). Green means battery ok. White means you better change. Black means battery is dead.

2. Ring your car's manufacturer and they will be able to tell you best brand.

Car battery questions - Clk Sec
>>>1. In my car's battery, there is an indicator (can be seen from top of the battery). Green means battery ok.

The Exide battery I mentioned above has this facility, but despite phoning around locally I couldn?t find one.

Clk Sec

Car battery questions - Roger Jones
"2. Ring your car's manufacturer and they will be able to tell you best brand"

If it's an MB, they will recommend their own brand, built by Varta, I think. The MB batteries are several tens of pounds more expensive than the Bosch Silver that I prefer and which I obtain from Costco (plenty of other sources too). That's what our much-missed friend Aprilia used to recommend too.
Car battery questions - Statistical outlier
Sorry, slightly off topic, but did we ever establish what happened to Aprilia? As you rightly point out, his postings are much missed.
Car battery questions - moonshine {P}

My supras battery has this facility, still shows green and the battery is at least ten years old.
Car battery questions - Victorbox
Vauxhall's own brand batteries are very good value and I've not had one fail under 12 years old .... now branded GO from a dealer, and you get the little green "magic eye" charge status indicator.