98 1.9dt - poor fuel economy - wolfmeister
Hi I've had this problem for a while now.
Basically I am only getting about 130-150 miles out of 20 quid. Just going to work and back which is 25 mile round trip.
Whenever i start from cold i get a cloud of white/grey smoke and i have to rev to get a stable tick over. If I leave it its really rough until i accelerate. (So I imagine whatever is causing this is causing problem). Its that bad I have to wait for anyone walking by to go past first! Never had any prob with MOT emissions etc.

The engine was changed about 18 months ago (second hand) after a piston went. But i was getting this problem even then,i dont know whether this could have been the cause. We kept the original fuel pump and injectors when we swapped engines.

Cars getting on a bit now, but if i could get better mpg i could save a few quid!

Any ideas?!

No need to repeat the car make/model in the subject header. The choice you made from the pull down menus already does that for you.

Edited by Webmaster on 24/10/2008 at 11:10

98 1.9dt - poor fuel economy - RichardW
Doesn't sound too far off really. 306 1.9TD will only do about 40mpg if you give it some beans, and it's easy to get it under 40 - £20 only buys 18 litres even at today's lower prices, and 18 litres at 40mpg = 163 miles.

Grey smoke at start up is probably one or more of the glowplugs down - probably the hard one behind the injection pump. If plugs do not fix it, then check the valve clearances.
98 1.9dt - poor fuel economy - wolfmeister
Sorry I've got my sums wrong getting about 100 miles to 20 quid. ( If i put 25 in I get approx 150)

Plugs won't make much difference to economy will it, other than improving start?

Edited by wolfmeister on 24/10/2008 at 11:47