00 3.2 Phantom miles after service. - barney100
I took my Clk 3.2 into the main dealers for a 'B' service yesterday and when I was driving it home I noticed the odometer was showing an extra 2000 miles! they only had the car a day so there is no way anyone spanked it up to Scotland and back. The dealer tells me this is impossible and I am sure they wish I would go away but I know for a fact that these phantom 2000 miles have appeared though I can't prove it. Anyone ever heard of this before?

Edited by Webmaster on 27/10/2008 at 19:05

00 3.2 odometer - jc2
Had a similar problem on an Opel;it clicked up 2000 instead of 200 but it was a hire car and contract didn't include milage.
00 3.2 odometer - elekie&a/c doctor
I have never seen this on a Merc before.Has the battery ever been flat or the car jump started?It is not impossible for this to occur but highly improbable.Are you sure the odometer was read correctly,does the dealer have the mileage when the car was booked in?hth
00 3.2 odometer - cheddar
How many miles has it done? Sure the difference is only 2000? Could it be that is has defaulted to read in KM?
00 3.2 odometer - barney100
I,m absolutely positive about the details and when the car went in 97,k was on the clock. When I got it back 99,333 was showing......I ain't gone mad I hope! I am told that this is impossible and the only way to alter these figures is to replace the whole instrument cluster!
I was monitoring the mileage as the last service was done by the previous owner at 87,438 and as 97K and a few hundred was up. I had the choice of doing it now at half term or waiting 'til the end of term when the service indicator would have been well over the prescribed interval.
Phantom miles after service. - Lud
Some toerag of a salesman borrowed it for the weekend and gave it a nice Italian tune-up. You may well be assured that the car needed extensive road testing to iron out minor running problems. And your only recourse may be to say 'Yeah, right...' in a heavily sarcastic voice, and never use that garage again.

Just looked again. Did you really collect it on the same day? Some Italian tune-up!

Edited by Lud on 27/10/2008 at 15:34

Phantom miles after service. - mercnut
It is possible for mileage to jump each time the ignition key is inserted if there is an ignition fault with new style keys for Mercedes. We had a brand new S600 which had a fault and the dealer had fitted a new ignition switch, but it was th wrong one and it was fitted upside down !!Every time the car was started the mileage would increase by a few hundred.It was throwing some memory somewhere. The solution was to replace the whole instrument cluster and ignition and re-program it - a Green Key is required from HQ to facilitate it. Hopefully yours does not need this done. Try getting it checked on a Mercedes Star tester, it will show any fault in memory.
Phantom miles after service. - Simon
Has anything more come of this? What mileage does it show on the Service Sheet? If I was 100% sure that 2000 phantom miles had appeared on my odometer I would be kicking up a stink about it thats for sure.