1996 1.3 Drivers door only opens when the engine i - Rattle
I had no problems yesterday but I asked my dad to start my car this morning but he couldn't get the door open. I have since worked out the engine has to be running before it can open, if the engine is not running the door also locks itself when you close it,.

I can live with this it is a fairly minor problem, I assume its that the lock is not reading the code on the keys and thus thinks its a robber trying any old Ford key, but when the engine is running it knows I am not a robber and opens the locks.

Is there any easy way to fix this? I don't mind taking the door card off but I don't want to imbolise the car completly if I do something wrong.

I have tried 3 different keys.

I suspect my dad might have tried opening the door with the wrong key to cause this.
1996 1.3 Drivers door only opens when the engine i - jimbano
<< I have since worked out the engine
has to be running before it can open if the engine is not running the
door also locks itself when you close it .

I can live with this it is a fairly minor problem I assume its that
the lock is not reading the code on the keys and thus thinks its a
robber trying any old Ford key but when the engine is running it knows I
am not a robber and opens the locks.>>

The central locking system on this model is nowhere near this intelligent..
You either have a fault with the door lock barrell(which is very common) and/or a fault with the central locking door motor.

You don't say how you actually get into the vehicle, but i assume that you unlock the car from the pass side.. If so, does the central locking try to lock itself again? (can you hear the motors trying to cycle) More info req?

This is a fairly basic system so should be cheap and easy to fix.
There is no central locking on it its a base spec Encore spec.

I have to open the passanger door, start the engine then open it from the inside, if I try opening it from the inside without the engine running it dosn't work. The odd thing is the engine has to be running before the door will open, so its not even something do with the steering lock.

I've tried to open it with 3 keys and none of them work, it all worked fine yesterday the day I bought it, sods law eh.
ok sorted it, the engine thing was just a coincidence, the car just does not open from the outside.

What do I need to fix this?
1996 1.3 Drivers door only opens when the engine i - jimbano

There is no central locking on it its a base spec Encore spec.

Hi,

From the way you described the fault in the 1st post, i assumed(wrongly) that the car had central locking. Apologies.

The door lock barrell and possibly the key also, will be worn.. This lock is designed that it will lock using ANY key, but will only unlock with the correct key.
The internals of the lock wear out, but as suggested by someone earlier you could try and lubricate it to try and fix it.. but in my experience, i doubt it will work.
A new lock kit can be purchased from a dealer but you will have to build it up to suit the key.. Which is a tricky job.
Best bet on a car this age, if you don't mind having two seperate keys is substitute the lock for a working barrell and key from a scrappy.
1996 1.3 Drivers door only opens when the engine i - mfarrow
when the engine is running it knows I
am not a robber and opens the locks.

A car cannot open the locks itself unless it has central locking. Either that or you have a very worn latch!
Is there any easy way to fix this?

For starters try some WD-40/3-in-1 oil on the barrel and latch.
I don't mind taking the door card
off but I don't want to imbolise the car completly if I do something wrong.

The latch/lock is just held on by a few screws and connected to the door handle and barrel by rods. You can't go far wrong. You can always drive around without the door card - just put back the winder handle if time's against you, so you've no need to rush it.
I suspect my dad might have tried opening the door with the wrong key to
cause this.

He would have to be quite agressive to do real damage. Can you still lock the door using the barrel? Is it stiff if you try to unlock it or does it turn freely?