Cops have stolen my car!!!! - zookeeper
hi room, i recently posted that my car was stolen ( last fri /sat week) i was told on thursday that the cops ( who had siezed the vehicle for forensic evidence) where now finished with the car and i could pick it up from the designated car storage facility....guess what? ...the chumps at the car storage place want me to pay the tab for recovery and storage charges ( its over £200 ) as we speak!! , im in melt down, do any legal beagles on this forum have any solutions to my dilemma? i dont know where to turn...cheers , zoo

Edited by Pugugly on 19/10/2008 at 18:31

cops have stolen my car!!!! - midlifecrisis
Replying in trepidation in view of the direction some recent threads have gone.

Rightly or wrongly,, most (if not all) Police Forces now have a vehicle recovery scheme involving private contractors. The cost of the recovery is own to the owner (usually recovered through insurance). It was intended to protect budgets as insurance companies were previously getting a free ride.

I don't know how much your car is worth, but contact the Force recovery Officer straight away.
cops have stolen my car!!!! - Pugugly
Your insurance should sort it out for you.
cops have stolen my car!!!! - adverse camber
The OPs original post is here :
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=68167&...f

He attended the scene when his car was found but was not permitted to take his car back. The police removed the vehicle for fingerprinting.

cops have stolen my car!!!! - Westpig
he is in a bit of a no win situation isn't he

Police have ordered the recovery of the car, for forensics, to try to catch the thief.

In straightforward cases where the car is abandoned somewhere and police don't necessarily want the car recovered, but if it's left there it might be re-stolen, they have it recovered by a private contractor having previously asked the registered keeper if they wish to be part of the recovery scheme.. i.e. at the time the vehicle was stolen the reg keeper says 'yes' or 'no' to the scheme.

the private contractors are part of the scheme, on the condition they recover their costs from the reg keeper or insurance co. not the police...as mentioned above by mlc, to keep police budgets in check

in this case, i'd suggest it IS the responsibility of the police, as they've specifically asked for it for forensics.

what the OP needs to do is;
A, see if insurance co. will cough (far easier)
B, see if contractor will release to owner with bill being sent to police as on this occasion the police required it, not called contractor on behalf of owner, as part of scheme (might be difficult as contractor will want their money and it will be difficult to get from police)
C, get hold of police and require them to sort it out (might be slow old job due to bureaucracy, being patient and getting to the right perosn who deals will be the secret)
cops have stolen my car!!!! - zookeeper
thanks to midlife, and pug for a swift response, im still slightly incandescent with rage though, i was treated like a leper when i went to get my car back.. i feel like a victim twice over
can i add to the mix..the car was stolen from a private driveway, and also abandoned on private land (hard standing near private garages) and it was on a sorn ticket
can i add to the mix..the car was stolen from a private driveway and also
abandoned on private land (hard standing near private garages) and it was on a sorn
ticket

shouldn't make a difference

basically the system used generally to pick up stolen cars sooner rather than later and paid for by you or your insurance co. via a contractor called by police..

..is different from the police asking the contractor to do something for them i.e. pick up your car for them to have it examined by a Scene of Crime Officer

where it gets muddied, is if the police in your area are using system 1, and whilst they have the vehicle at the contractors are reverting to system 2

we don't do that where i work, but there again we don't examine every stolen car here, which they might do in your area... which gives you a better service..but...includes this headache!

Edited by Westpig on 19/10/2008 at 19:47

cops have stolen my car!!!! - gordonbennet
Blimey zookeeper, i haven't a clue about your problem, but remembering your situation with the foreign truck and its insurance (and i am prepared to bet you've still had no joy there), may i be the first to wish you a very much better 2009.
You do deserve a break.
cops have stolen my car!!!! - Lud
There would appear to be a bit of political slippage here. It's a bit rough, to put it mildly, for the police or any other official body to stick someone for a bill of several hundred pounds when through no fault of their own their car has been stolen by some of the toerags running about unchecked.

Obviously, front-line plod won't really be to blame. But someone is. Lobby parliament (he urged, putting his feet up and thinking of other things).

Get my point? All the tinkering with the system and hiving off of official functions to venal private companies is being done in an increasingly slovenly way.
cops have stolen my car!!!! - Fullchat
There should be a few basic questions asked when you report your car stolen and a number of options.

1. If your car is found do you wish us to contact you to come and collect it providing it is driveable and legal to drive on the road?
You will have to be able to attend in a very reasonable time as we will not be able to commit a resource to sit on it whilst you attend.
We would however wish to have the vehicle examined to perhaps find forensic evidence which will identify the culprits and it will require to be stored somewhere dry and suitable to enable this examination to take place. (Depending on local policy). This will usually be the recovery agent but the recovery costs will be born by yourself. You may decline this option if you wish but we will be unable to progress the case.

3. If we contact you and there is no response or you are unable to attend in a reasonable time then the vehicle will be recovered to one of our agents? There will be a recovery and storage fee payable by yourself.

2. If your car is found do you wish us to recover the vehicle to our agents? There will be a recovery and storage fee payable by yourself.

Playing devils advocate here, you stated the vehicle was on SORN and therefore not legal to drive on the road. Although not of your own making you would have had to have the vehicle recovered in any event!
cops have stolen my car!!!! - the swiss tony
Im wondering, seeing as the car was on SORN, was it insured?

Edited by the swiss tony on 19/10/2008 at 20:41

cops have stolen my car!!!! - thomp1983
what is it all coming to when were having to pay costs for the police to investigate a crime? secondly if your insurance company pay the bill would that not count as a claim on your policy and thus affect those without protected ncb?

chris
the car was sorned since the end of july and privatly parked, i had just insured the car 0ne week previous to it getting stolen i had intended taxing it the week after i insured it ( monies tight around here) but sods law and all...you cant win!
oh and the debacle with the near fatal crash with the daewoo, ive been in contact with the witness to the crash but im still waiting for a written statement ..dont hold your breath ive nearlly given up on the matter........word of warning get covered with legal stuff on your insurance , it may cast a bit more but in the long run it may save you a load of grief
hi room just an update on the stolen car, i got a letter from the storage people which stated that the car would be disposed of 7 days after the date of the letter (it took 4 days to reach me) so i rang my insurance company explaining the situation and they have since paid the storage fees and had the vehicle moved to their own storage facility, it is awaiting the assessors report as to the damage.... this obviously means that i have had to make a claim for theft, now will this affect my premiums next time as it was a new policy without any no claims bonuses? cheers...zoo
cops have stolen my car!!!! - Dwight Van Driver
Typical Police Policy:

www.west-midlands.police.uk/publications/freedom-o...0

dvd

Met police one differs slightly, in that... at the beginning the person reporting the stolen car is asked whether or not they wish to subscribe to the recovery system

if they say 'no' and the car is found, it is left in situ (even if it is in a sink estate and gets vandalised or re-stolen) as not every stolen car is looked at for forensics. Where it gets muddied is if the owner originally elects 'no', but for whatever reason the police wish to have it looked at for forensics anyway (which wouldn't be done in the street) e.g. it was stolen in a burglary and burglary is a priority crime...then there's a grey area, which i'd imagine, if pushed hard enough would mean the Met Police would have to cough up...albeit most people are grateful for as much investigation as possible, so probably roll over and pay themselves or claim on the insurance

it is surprising how many people with thoroughly decent cars still say 'no'. I wouldn't want to go to a carp hole estate in the small hours to collect my potentially damaged car with a flat battery...let the recovery agent and insurance co, deal.

Edited by Westpig on 22/10/2008 at 19:18

cops have stolen my car!!!! - Lud
I seem to remember the recovery system costs £120 or more Wp, and people can be very stingy when it comes to protecting their 20,000 quid motors...

I found this out when I thought my car had been stolen. It had, but by the council unfortunately. That cost even more (blush).
cops have stolen my car!!!! - Niallster
Call the Sun news desk.

Tell them your story. Agree to give an interview and pose for pictures. Call the relevant forces PR chief (yes they do have one). The car will be valeted and returned to you ASAP.

Only thing these clowns understand is bad publicity.
cops have stolen my car!!!! - Ian (Cape Town)
...let the recovery agent and insurance co deal.

Is it just me?
But do some people NOT realise what insurance is all about?
Yes, you pay. It is a grudge purchase. BUT when you need it, it is useful to have.
Yet many folk waffle on about their NCB and premiums and the rest...

cops have stolen my car!!!! - Mapmaker

Ian (Cape Town)>> Is it just me?
But do some people NOT realise what insurance is all about?
Yes you pay. It is a grudge purchase. BUT when you need it it is
useful to have.

Is it just me, or do some people not realise how insurance actually works. A claim under £1,000 and you end up out of pocket.

So a £250 bill for recovery, and £100 for a new window and £500 for a new steering lock, then the recovery bill is an extra, unpleasant cost to be covered by the poor car owner.
cops have stolen my car!!!! - DP
Met police one differs slightly in that... at the beginning the person reporting the stolen
car is asked whether or not they wish to subscribe to the recovery system

Yes, I remember this when we reported SWMBO's Astra stolen many years ago.

As the victim of a crime, and being somewhat angry at having my property ripped off, I was not particularly happy about being "sold" something within seconds of calling my local police station. We were also told in a rather 'threatening' manner that if we said no to the "service", and the car was re-stolen after being informed of its whereabouts, we would be liable for any damage caused.

It just struck me, rightly or wrongly that far more time and effort was being put into selling me this service than catching the scrotes who'd ripped the car off in the first place.

It was a hard sell, bascially, and not thinking rationally at the time, and feeling angry and the complete lack of sympathy or support, I wasn't having a bar of it. The car turned up later that day, vandalised and undriveable. It was recovered to our house by the RAC in the end, and picked up by the insurer from there.

If it weren't for the reference number for insurance purposes, I actually seriously doubt I'd bother reporting a car theft to the Met again.

Cheers
DP
Cops have stolen my car!!!! - L'escargot
...the chumps at the car storage place want me
to pay the tab for recovery and storage charges ...

Well, you can hardly expect them to provide their services for nothing. They'd soon be out of business if they did. Then they would be chumps.

Edited by L'escargot on 23/10/2008 at 09:04

Cops have stolen my car!!!! - cheddar
car storage place want me to pay the tab for recovery and storage charges ...
Well you can hardly expect them to provide their services for nothing.

Hmm, I would think that the Police should cover the cost, I mean it is part of the law enforcement process surely?

Police: "Hello Mr Zookeeper your car has been found."
Zookeeper: "Great!, can I pick it up?"
Police: "No you cant, we are getting it collected and taking it in for forenzics."
Zookeeper: "Thanks, makes sense to me".
A few days later:
Police: "Hello Mr Zookeeper you can pick you car up from the depot now, you need to pay for the recovery and storage though."

Doesn't sound very equitable does it?

Of course most such instances would be paid for by insurance companies hence premiums are rising due to costs that should be born elsewhere.

On that basis it wont be long before we are reporting a break-in and the Police say, "pick us up or call us a cab and we'll take a look" !!!!!!

EDIT: Not a dig at frontline officers BTW.

Edited by cheddar on 23/10/2008 at 10:20

Cops have stolen my car!!!! - L'escargot
SnipQ
Hmm I would think that the Police should cover the cost I mean it is
part of the law enforcement process surely?

The police had finished their investigation. If the owner left the car at the storage company for ever it would cost the police (and ultimately us taxpayers) a fortune if they (the police) had to foot the bill.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 23/10/2008 at 13:41

Cops have stolen my car!!!! - the swiss tony
<< The police had finished their investigation. If the owner left the car at the storage company for ever it would cost the police (and ultimately us taxpayers) a fortune if they (the police) had to foot the bill. >>

easy answer to that - the cost of the collection and storage up to the time the owner is notified the vehicle is released to him charged to the police.
after notification -cost is owners responsibility.

not rocket science!
But... and heres the rub.... where does the police get their money from? us taxpayers! so we end up paying anyway!
>> The police had finished their investigation.

>>

So why couldnt the OP pick up the car from the police station or have it delivered to the OP instead of the storage depot?

I'll tell you, because it was taken straight to the depot and forenzics were done there at the depot in which case why should the OP pay for the storage of the car in the facility that the police use to conduct their investigations? After all this is part of the investigation process.

Yes, if after a week or so an owner has not collected their car then perhaps a charge should apply though not a charge to take the vehicle to that depot and not a charge for its "storage" while being investigated by the police.

"Sir the service on your car will cost £400 and the charge to store you car while we are conducting the service will be £50".
Cops have stolen my car!!!! - tomo4
Why on earth should the police pay to transport cars about the place. Insurance is there to deal with this matter and if your car is stolen they pay the associated costs. If the police were required to provide everything out of the public purse the budget would be crippled. Why can't people take responsiblility for their affairs, police investigate crime, car drivers pay for insurance to cover associated costs of being involved in crime. If your house is broken into your taxes pay for the matter to be investigated, not to right the damage and put you up for the night!

You miss the point, the OP could have picked up the car however the police chose to have it taken to a "depot" to conduct forenzics, that is part of the investigation process and is not a cost that should be born by the OP or his insurance company.
Cops have stolen my car!!!! - glowplug
Considering that the 'motorist' pays for far more than just the services they use I think it's a bit rich to expect them pay for this kind of thing too. Sorry to say this but yet another example of the state of things these days.

I'll get me coat!

Steve.