87 1.8 oil warning light after service. - kirklander73
Hello to all! Today i serviced my scirocco (done every 6000 miles.)
This time i used some engine flush.
I followed the instructions to the letter then dropped the oil and filter.
i primed the new filter (halfords) using the reccomended Halfords oil then filled the engine to mid way on the dipstick (and before this replaced the sump plug!!)
The problem came when i started her up, the oil warning light continued flashing!
Strange i thought but kept running at idle thinking the filter was not quite full.
I stopped the engine because she was starting to sound a little "tappity"
Any ideas??? completely bemused as i have never had an issue like this before!
Thanks for looking!
87 1.8 oil warning light after service. - Victorbox
I would try again with a genuine VW oil filter to eliminate the possibility of a duff Halfords oil filter.
87 1.8 oil warning light after service. - yorkiebar
If I read this right.

You only filled it to halfway on the dipstick and then ran it?

if so, dont worry about the filter (I dont see that as the problem). Check oil level, it will be down now that the filter has filled up. Refill to maximum mark and try again.

But dont run it for long if the light doesnt go out. It should be out within 2 or 3 secs, no longer !

If you still have a problem I would suspect that the engine flush has dislodged some crud and possibly blocked an oilway. If so, bigger work to follow!

What mileage on the engine, was it running good before the oil change?
yes but the filter was filled before i fitted it. the oil level dropped only slightly after the run. the engine itself was rebuilt only 12,000 miles ago and was running very well (pulls like a steam train for a carb engine) wish i had never used the flush but i used it because it came with a slick 50 kit (i failed to mention this was added aswell). am i right in thinking that the filter has a by-pass so if it becomes blocked oil will still flow?
87 1.8 oil warning light after service. - mfarrow
Yes there may well be a by-pass on the pump. Sorry my previous answer assumed 20 years of mixed service - I doubt crud would be a problem with your regime and after that mileage.
Filter/pick-up strainer blocked with crud from the flush.
87 1.8 oil warning light after service. - Number_Cruncher
>>i used it because it came with a slick 50 kit

If you've put that rubbish into your engine, then I'm not too surprised.

As mfarrow suggests, take the sump off, clean out, clean the pick up strainer, renew the filter with a genuine one, and fill up with good quality oil *only*.

If oil changes are done regularly (i.e. as per the manufacturer's recommendations), you don't *need* any "extras" like flushing oil and hideous gloop.
Ah perhaps im trying too hard. really love the old girl is all, perhaps im killing with kindness? what oil do you guys reccomend? heard castrol is no good (on another thread) and have heard high praise of halfords stuff!?
87 1.8 oil warning light after service. - Victorbox
Vauxhall's own 10W:40 semi synthetic is very good value and good quality - although you may need anti-rejection drugs in a Volkswagen!! When you car was new a 15W:50 or 20W:50 mineral oil was probably the normal fill.
87 1.8 oil warning light after service. - jc2
Had a similar concern on a Ford after an oil change with good oil/filter-it turned out that the fresh oil was forcing pressure relief valve further up it's channel than it had been before-freed up as it cooled and oil pressure came back.
Vauxhall oil's only cheap if you're in the trade or go online to somewhere like www.auto-vaux.co.uk . Also it's buy three get one free. Last dealer price I had was £22 for 10W40 semi-synth retail.
87 1.8 oil warning light after service. - steveo3002
next time you need service parts..try gsf , if you order online they do free next day postage

they supply genuine /oem brand parts and are cheaper than halfords
87 1.8 oil warning light after service. - The Gingerous One
£22 for 10w40 semi-syn ?

I used to use the Vauxhall stuff in my Primera, a can was about £12 from the local motor factors. It was as someone else said on this thread, good value for money and did the job.
87 1.8 oil warning light after service. - Dynamic Dave
I paid something like £21 or £22 for a gallon of "Vauxhall's" 10w/40 semi synth approx 18 months ago from a main dealer (bought for topping up purposes), then wrote off the car a couple of months later. The Vectra I have now requires 5w/30 fully synth, so I still have 4 litres of 10w/40 kicking about in the garage. Oh well, the lawnmower or my 125cc motorbike might get a treat one day.
87 1.8 oil warning light after service. - quizman
>>>heard castrol is no good (on another thread)

Do not believe everthing that you hear. Castrol is an excellent oil.

I changed the oil on a combine many years ago. When I started it the oil pressure light wouldn't go out. I checked that the filter and sump plug were fitted OK and I decided that the oil pressure switch was faulty. I put the combine into gear and set off, bang bang bang and a metallic smell came from the engine, it seized up. The oil pump was kaput.
87 1.8 oil warning light after service. - cheddar
Halfords oil us made to the highest standards by Comma, very good stuff.
Thanks to everyone who has left advice!!
I Removed the sump but aside from a very small amount of goo there was yery little "muck" in there. soi did the only real alternative (the car can not warrant expensive repair it would be cheaper to buy a different car!) I changed the oil and filter again and it has worked! no red lights and the tappity sound quickly died down. The only thing i think could have been at fault was the filter!?!
Thanks to everyone the ROCCO STILL LIVES!!!!
87 1.8 oil warning light after service. - csgmart
>>i used it because it came with a slick 50 kit

The only time I've had an engine fail (oil pump) was after I used Slick 50. Avoid adding any, erm, additives to oil. Good quality oil, regulary changed, is all you need.

Plus a good quality oil filter.
87 1.8 oil warning light after service. - trickydicky
had this problem years ago when changing oil i also changed oil pressure sender which was leaking.filled with oil started but had no oil pressure,got round it by removing distributer which opposite end is oil pump drive.Then used a drill to turn oil pump till it was primed,and all was well.