03 1.6 Car Constantly Steaming Up - Roly93
Can anyone tell me why our Focus is so prone to steeming up lately.

I went out yesterday evening with my wife and daughter in the car. It had been a warm dry day and no one had damp hair or clothes, it was also a warmish night for the time of year, but the car was still steaming up raely badly.

I have obviously checked the boot and carpets for any sign of rain water ingress but everything is bone dry. I've heard that a fault with the aircon can sometimes cause this sort of problem, although this was occuring without the aircon on. Screen was instantly cleared by demister, but rapidly became misted again.

{typo in header amended}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 14/10/2008 at 11:01

03 1.6 Car Constantly Steeming Up - mjm
I would check the coolant level in case the heater matrix is leaking. This will cause steaming up.
Do you get any strange smells in the car when it does it?
03 1.6 Car Constantly Steeming Up - cheddar
Dirty and clogged up pollen filter perhaps.

Or a leak from somewhere, most likely around the pollen filter housing causing dampness in the car, check for wet carpet.
03 1.6 Car Constantly Steeming Up - Roly93
There is no evidence anywhere of any dampness, unless the pollen filter itself is damp. This was replaced 6 months ago and should be still like new as the car doesnt do much mileage. There are no strange smells either.
03 1.6 Car Constantly Steeming Up - topbloke
check and see if the scuttle panel (the bit below the wiper blades where the motor sits) for leaf debris etc if the drains are blocked then water can be draged into the pollen filter and it holds the water like a sponge use the heating/demister and all you do is drag the moisture into the car irrespective of how old/how much its used, the only other way is if the aircon drains are blocked or misplaced and are draining into the car, or the matrix has sprung a small leak, you can usually smell a sweet ish smell in the car (anti freeze)
03 1.6 Car Constantly Steeming Up - Roly93
This looks worth a try...
03 1.6 Car Constantly Steaming Up - Boggy
What about the outside? That's where I have major problems! Is there a miracle product out there anywhere? I have to drive along for the first mile or so with the wipers on full speed, screen washers squirting like mad, everything heated switched on, blowers and aircon on full belt and windows constantly going up and down to clear the moisture/foggy stuff that accumulates on the OUTSIDE of the glass. What's that all about? Even tried old remedies like vinegar and newspaper, nothing seems to stop it.
03 1.6 Car Constantly Steaming Up - Carse
Make sure you have not pressed the aircon recirculation button, this will just circulate the air already in the car around and if you have passengers this does steam the car up quite quickly

Carse
03 1.6 Car Constantly Steaming Up - MikeTorque
Upon first starting the engine the air recirculation defaults to closed and the button needs pressing to open the air circulation otherwise the windows will steam up, so it's worth checking. The mark II Focus defaults to open which is the more sensible choice.
03 1.6 Car Constantly Steaming Up - maximus
Answer to boggy, If the outside is fogging up it's probably because the inside of the car is cooler than the outside. Do you have a cold garage?
03 1.6 Car Constantly Steaming Up - AndyT
Upon first starting the engine the air recirculation defaults to closed and the button needs
pressing to open the air circulation...

Mine stays at the position last used.
03 1.6 Car Constantly Steaming Up - L'escargot
I have this problem and it appears to be caused by residual moisture (after the use of the aircon) in the aircon/heater air system coming back into the car. My solution is not to use the aircon when the atmosphere is cool/cold and/or humid.

Value my car