03 1.9TDI - stuck bonnet - petechurch
Hi There,
New to the forum here, but hoping that someone can help me out. I'm running low on oil and screen-wash, but can't get my bonnet open. The release catch inside the car works fine, but the lever that pulls through the grill isn't releasing the catch. I've given up on brute force, as I nearly pulled the grill off, and WD40 hasn't done anything either. I can just about reach inside but I can't see the catch, so don't know what I'm feeling for.

Has anyone had the same problem, or can anyone post a shot of the mechanism so I can have a go at pushing it free by hand.

Also once the oil light goes on, how far is it safe to drive before you run the risk of ruining the engine? I need to drive about 50 miles tomorrow, and have already had to do about 100 since the light first came on.

Any help, much appreciated.

Cheers
Pete

Edited by Pugugly on 12/10/2008 at 14:07

03 1.9 Audi A4 Avant 1.9TDI - Stuck Bonnet - dieselnut
If it's the same as a Passat, the little manual catch that pops out of the grill has become detached from the secondary bonnet release mechanism.
If you lift the bonnet slightly & shine a torch in at the centre you will see the secondary catch hook.
There is a hole in the hook.
You can get a screwdriver blade through the hole.
Let the bonet down a bit while pushing the screwdriver blade to the right & the bonet will release.
03 1.9TDI - stuck bonnet - adverse camber
>>Also once the oil light goes on, how far is it safe to drive before you run the risk of ruining the engine?

About 100 miles less than you've already done.
03 1.9TDI - stuck bonnet - petechurch
Dieselnut - Thanks for your help. I got it open with your instructions. I wasn't sure what to look for, but once I could see where the mechanism was supposed to be catching, I could see that the outside lever was missing the mechanism hole. I shut the bonnet while pushing the outside lever right in - As it went down, I could see it engaging. opened it first try!

Thanks for your help.

I knew I was pushing it with the lack of oil, so hopefully I haven't shanked my engine - Adverse camber, I'm glad I just saw your post after I refilled and took it for a test drive. Fingers crossed i got away with it. I'd decided not to drive it anymore anyway, so at least I was a bit right....

Thanks guys.