Hyundai i110 vs Kia Picanto - mattbod
Are these ostensibly the same car and if so which is the better car? I am thinking about getting another small run around and want it to be economical, cheap to run and tax efficient. I also want it to have a certain amount of poke that small cars used to have ie feel quick even if they weren't i.e like small FIats of old.

Finally with the Hyundai is the Indian build quality any good: Previous expereience of Suzuki Altos, City Rovers, Tatas and Mahindra jeeps were not good.

Finally what happened with the Picanto Diesel? That sounded like a cracking little car.
Hyundai i110 vs Kia Picanto - stunorthants26
The Picanto is a 4 year old car and I very much doubt it is very similar underneath as the i10. I suspect that the next model Picanto will be closely related however.

We have a Picanto auto which even with the 1.1 engine doesnt have 'poke' - the manual is better but its not a gutsy engine and needs revs. It is cheap to run though.

Id say the i10 is a no brainer what with more current design, better warranty and more space. The Picanto is a good used buy as they are dead cheap and few have any real miles on them, but as a new car I wouldnt touch one when there are better alternatives.

Id always recommend the Daihatsu Sirion as a rival to the i10 with the 1.0 in the £35 tax band and 55 mpg combined. Also 5 year warranty. Subaru Justy is same car and same warranty if one dealer is closer than the other.
Hyundai i110 vs Kia Picanto - jase1
Depends on the price : our local dealer has been selling a few Picantos for £4800 with delivery miles. Can't be bad seeing as the car is actually pretty decent.
Hyundai i110 vs Kia Picanto - maz64
our local dealer has been selling a few Picantos for
£4800 with delivery miles.

jase- would you mind telling me where this is? My parents are thinking about replacing their S reg 1.0 Micra soon, and there's a Kia dealer near them, which they would regard as a big advantage. The nearest Hyundai dealer is some way away.
SG Petch in County Durham (not sure of the exact branch) -- this was about two months ago.
Bear in mind that there won't have been many of them, and I believe this was the rock-bottom 1l version (that said they do come with central locking, electric windows etc even at the base model).

I don't recall but they may even have been pre-facelift cars.
Hyundai i110 vs Kia Picanto - maz64
Thanks- parents' Micra doesn't have electric windows, or power steering. I drove it once and was amazed at how much effort it took to get round slow corners.

Dad claims that performance isn't an issue, but I remember him coming away from a test drive in a 1.4 Golf a few decades ago (mk2?) which even he found too slow.
Hyundai i110 vs Kia Picanto - stevekay
The Kia Picanto is a short wheelbase Hyundai Getz and is in all respects a good car even though it doesn't have a spare wheel (my pet hate, bottle of goo instead). The i10 gets very good reports but is considerably more expensive and is in very short supply. If you're happy with no spare wheeel and can get a Picanto at the right price I'd say go for it. The Getz is currently on "run out" - i20 coming very soon - and there are some bargains to be had there. Plentiful supply, all bugs ironed out with facelift model 2 years ago. Plus a 5 year warranty!!!
Hyundai i110 vs Kia Picanto - Hector Brocklebank
Go for a nearly new Nissan Micra. It's effectively from the class above, plenty of standard kit, 80bhp 1.2 engine and some cracking deals circa £5k. Not to mention Nissan reliability.
Go for a nearly new Nissan Micra. It's effectively from the class above plenty of
standard kit 80bhp 1.2 engine and some cracking deals circa £5k. Not to mention Nissan
reliability.

Not likely -- the newer Micra is essentially a Renault Clio. Poor build quality.
Nonsense!!!!!!!!! Very Reliable (ask HJ)
Nonsense!!!!!!!!! Very Reliable (ask HJ)

The pre-2003 car might have been, but the new one is nothing like as well made. Read the "what to look out for" on this site. Poor reputation for build quality related issues and faults with electrics -- not to mention redesigned engines that are prone to camchain problems.

I have owned a string of very reliable Nissans, but I wouldn't have one of the newer ones given to me I'm afraid, Sunderland-built or not.
LISTEN, jase1. DO NOT tell me how reliable my OWN car is!!!!!!!
A reliable Nissan/Renault is called getting lucky. Most people wouldnt buy a car based on the probobility of winning the lottery.
LISTEN jase1. DO NOT tell me how reliable my OWN car is!!!!!!!

Tetchy.

I am sure there are folks out there who had 100% reliable Yugos. Means absolutely nothing.

The FACT is that the newer Micra is LESS reliable than the older ones were. You might not have been hit by the myriad of Renfaults that plague this car but all that means is that you were one of the lucky ones.

To compare the reliability of this car to Nissans of old is insulting to the Japanese company's name.

Edited by jase1 on 12/10/2008 at 16:47

You've just got a prejudice against the new micra because of the way it looks. HJ says the Renault electrics are all that give any real cause for concern. I find build quality to be superb and far better than any Korean crap!!!!!!!!
>>HJ says the Renault electrics are all that give any real cause for concern<<

The electrics being elemental in almost every operating system in a modern car.... so its quite important to reliability then huh.
Me thinks it is infact you that is prejudice as you have just made a blanklet statement about all Korean cars that is at best a bit ignorant and at worst, very childish.

You've just got a prejudice against the new micra because of the way it looks.
HJ says the Renault electrics are all that give any real cause for concern. I
find build quality to be superb and far better than any Korean crap!!!!!!!!

Rubbish. Why would someone who has owned a grand total of six Nissans over the years possibly have 'prejudice' against the brand, or how it looks?

I couldn't give a rat's behind what a car looks like.

As for the latter remark, now who is being prejudiced, eh?
Hyundai i110 vs Kia Picanto - Auristocrat
When the i10 was launched, magazines (Autocar, What Car, etc) stated that it used the structure of the Getz - so it is not based on the Picanto and is actually a bit bigger than the Picanto.
Hyundai's build quality for their indian produced cars is good - and this has been confirmed in road tests, etc.
The Getz is due to be replaced by the new i20
When the i10 was launched magazines (Autocar What Car etc) stated that it used the
structure of the Getz - so it is not based on the Picanto and is
actually a bit bigger than the Picanto.

The Picanto is also based on the Getz though.

Indeed most of Hyundai/Kia's small car range (from the Amica to the old Accent) is fundamentally based on the same basic floorpan and design, the only real exception being the '00-'05 Kia Rio, which was totally different. They all share the same positives (strong engines and transmissions, simple suspension setup, decent electrics) and vices (simple suspension = slightly wallowy handling, clicky gear linkage etc). That's all good because it means that they're well understood, not overly complex and thus easy to repair.
Hyundai's build quality for their indian produced cars is good - and this has been
confirmed in road tests etc.

Definitely seems to be -- the early Getzes were Korean, and I had expected the build quality to suffer when they started building them in Chennai, but this doesn't seem to have happened.
Hyundai i110 vs Kia Picanto - busman
I have an i10 and can confirm that the build quality is very good, no squeaks or rattles, although, as stated, the car seems to be in short supply, I've had mine since end of May and still only seen 7 other i10's.
Hyundai i110 vs Kia Picanto - oldtoffee
We (SWMBO) had a Picanto 1.1 auto for 2.5 years, not many miles. Utterly reliable, well put together, smooth engine, competent ride and safe handling, plastics a bit cheap looking but never broke or rattled. Low insurance and £1,000 a year depreciation (on a new car) was good enough but Kia main dealer servicing is top dollar money and ours struggled to get to mid 30's mpg but what with U/L at 99.9p a litre that's less of an issue it was yesterday! I'd recommend one on our positive experience but they are slow - we test drove a manaul and an auto and even the manual was gutless; never worried SWMBO one bit. I used the excuse that the seat didn't go back far enough for me to drive it on anything other than short journeys.
Hyundai i110 vs Kia Picanto - Judge Dread
Re build quality: Had my i10 since July - no faults (yet!). Plastics are not very scratch resistant, but what do you expect at this price point? Have been very impressed with handling - up there with Ford KA I used to own. Brakes also V. good. Stereo resets bass/treble settings if iPod is unplugged whilst still switched on.... Overall, build quality is up there with with the competition. Only downside: black mica is almost impossible to keep clean! Also, I have just taken up service agreement with dealer: £14.98/month for everything excluding brake pads & tyres. Apparently they even throw in a courtesy car & valet!!
Hyundai i110 vs Kia Picanto - tintin01
Can you say a bit more about the service agreement? Does the monthly fee cover a service as well? I haven't heard of this deal before.

tintin01:

I received a letter from the main dealer setting out various service deals. There was a choice of 3, 4, or 5 years cover, & subject to annual mileage. £14.98 pa assumes I will keep the car for 3 years & do less than 6000 miles pa. I then get a full annual service every year for 3 years, including valet/courtesy car. £180 annualized for total service seems pretty good value - & this covers everything except tyres/brake pads - it is HIGHLY unlikely my tyres/brakes will wear out in 18,000 miles.... Coupled with 5 year warranty, lease agreement totaling £102/month, VED at £35, insurance at £170 pa, 50+ MPG, & free 1st year RAC cover, this seems like the cheapest peace of mind available. All I need now is the wife's permission to buy a sports bike for the weekend!!!!
Edit: Service is £14.98 PER MONTH, NOT PA!

Apologies.