07 2.5 New Clutch after 3,500 miles ???? - Beaks
My father in law has a 57 plate Lexus is250 (petrol). He has often thought that the clutch has a high biting point but this week his missus has taken it for it's first service. The dealers have said it needs a NEW CLUTCH through bad driving and want a grand for a new clutch. They are adamant that they will not contribute putting it down to wear and tear and simply said it's bad driving. I am a trained police driver and have seen him drive quite often and would never say he is a bad driver. All the same for a clutch to fail after 3.500miles on a LEXUS of all things is I think staggering. Any sensible comments or advice would be most welcome....

Edited by Pugugly on 07/10/2008 at 20:10

07 2.5 New Clutch after 3,500 miles ???? - injection doc
When a clutch is dismantled it is quite easy to tell how the car has been driven & if its been ridden excessivley ( which on a diesel is very little).

If it smells it been overheated . If the plate is worn on the clutch coverside more than the flywheel side its had heavey use. If its worn more on the flywheel side its had very good use. If you suspect the clutch spring is weak or broken look inside the cover for a crack or uneven spring diaphram.

I have to say if it was diesel it would of been no suprise but a petrol one is another story. I think you may need an expert their when the clutch is removed.

A visit to a second dealer may prove worth while.
I Doc

Edited by Pugugly on 07/10/2008 at 20:10

07 2.5 New Clutch after 3,500 miles ???? - Bill Payer
Oh no - Lexus was the last bastion of impeccable customer service! There's nothing else left to buy now.

I find these situations quite bizarre. Presumably he's been driving for many years and hasn't been in the habit of wearing out clutches in 3500 miles in the past?

It would surely take some doing to wear a clutch in that mileage anyway - other than by malicious action?
07 2.5 New Clutch after 3,500 miles ???? - cheddar
Seems to me that there shouldn't be a grey area here, I mean the car has only done 3500 miles so it must have either been abused terribly or have suffered a manufacturing fault/component failure.

Perhaps let the dealer strip it down and get an independent inspection, AA etc.