blue smoke 306dt - deere3350
Can anyone offer any ideas as to what may be causing the following on my 1996 306dt :
Sometimes, after idling at traffic lights for a few minutes, the car emits a huge cloud of blue smoke on acceleration. If I saw this on any other car I'd be the first to think the engine was burning oil.
However, the oil level only drops by a couple of millimetres on the dipstick between 6000 mile services. I have driven the car 153000 miles and have never missed a service. Oil used is GTD Magnatec. The problem seems to be worse in warm, humid weather.
Recently, the turbo whistle has got louder. Could the turbo be on its way out, as there appears to be a slight film of oil inside the intercooler ?

Any advice offered would be very much appreciated because its going for the mot in a few weeks !

Thanks in advance.

blue smoke 306dt - M.M
My understanding of early warning signs for turbo seal failure are those you describe....oil smoke at idle clearing as you drive off.

My Saab Turbo had this fault years ago and that didn't seem to use much oil either.

It is possible for diesel fuelling faults to give blue smoke but this is more unusual than grey or black smoke.

I wonder if the smoke smells of oil or diesel?

David W
blue smoke 306dt - deere3350
Thanks for the reply David. At tickover, the exhaust smells of diesel, and there is no smoke whatsoever. The smoke only appears on acceleration. I suppose I'll have to get someone to drive into it and have a good sniff. Still, I suppose 153000 is not too bad for a turbo !!

Thanks again.