replacing my VR6 for max economy! - gypsy-king
Hi everyone

A new job with a 40 mile a day commute means my 1995 golf vr6 has to go. Over the last 2 years i've only had about 28mpg from it, plus the group 17 insurance and road tax means I'm going to be chucking away about half my pay rise!!

I only paid £1700 for it, but its done 110K miles, and although mechanically sound and with a recent new clutch (also passed MOT last week with 0 fails, full service booked for tomorrow - fingers crossed) the bodywork is a bit worn, and judging by recent economic trends(!) i'm not expecting to get much more than £1000.

Ideally I don't want to have to spend more than this on a replacement (because I'll have to borrow the money) but I would consider spending upto £2K if i'll get the value back over the nex 18 months or so.

I want the most economic car possible, and the best candidate seems to be a Pug 106 1.5 diesel - 50-70mpg(!) but i'm a bit scared of the reliability issues? What are the other candidates worth considering? I'm pretty much just interested in running costs over the next 2 years, i've had my fun, now is the time to start paying off some credit cards....

Edited by gypsy-king on 30/09/2008 at 12:54

replacing my VR6 for max economy! - Roger Jones
28 mpg is not bad for a VR6; I got 29.4 out of mine over a three-year period and saw 33-35 on steady long trips.

I understand your well founded reasons, but get ready for tears at bedtime when you rue the day you said goodbye to your VR6. My only comfort is that mine is now in good hands.
replacing my VR6 for max economy! - craig-pd130
I've seen reports from a couple of other forums of people using 106 diesels without many problems.

Other cheap cars that come to mind are a mark 1 Punto which can be (not always) a very good buy, and will cost peanuts to insure.
replacing my VR6 for max economy! - Dog
The issue that would be a major concern for me Re: the 106, is the awful crash test rating!

Dog.
replacing my VR6 for max economy! - Mapmaker
i've had my fun, now is the time to start paying off some credit cards....

In which case don't DARE borrow money to buy the car.

Realistically you'll probably get 45 mpg out of the new one, Your 9,300 annual commuting mileage will costing you @ £1.25 a litre (diesel) £1,200 in a year.

Alternatively, the VR6 at 28mpg @ £1.10 £1,600.

So you're saving £400 a year - which if you pay an extra £1,000 for the car will take 2.5 years to pay for itself - by which time you'll have changed job anyway. Stick with the current motor on that basis. Are you sure you want to drive 40 miles a day in a Skoda Felicia?

If you're going to sell it, don't waste the money on the service tomorrow, get a £25 oil change from Kwik Fit if you insist.

Buy yourself a £500 car - lots on autotrader at that price, under 10 years old.
replacing my VR6 for max economy! - perleman
Yeah that's a good point actually, why service it prior to sale - you prob won't get the money back.
replacing my VR6 for max economy! - davidh
45 mpg out of a 106 diesel?

Is that towing a caravan?

I make total fuel for the 106 to be 912 pa Vs 1643 pa for the VR6 based on 55mpg diesel Vs 28 mpg petrol. with P = 109 and D = 119 and 9300 miles pa.

Giving roughly 750 quid advantage to the diesel. Not a hill of beans I admit but I think thats more realistic than 400 quid. Plus factor in lower insurance and tyres etc etc.

That doesnt include social miles so the 106 will start to save even more.

replacing my VR6 for max economy! - TimOrridge
I'm sure someone out there will jump at the chance to swap their Pug 106 diesel for a Golf VR6
replacing my VR6 for max economy! - DuncanSuperb
I can't help but think of a reply to a similar thread a couple of weeks ago.

I think the saying goes along the lines of "the cheapest car is the one you already have".

If the Golf is as reliable as you say, then the savings you make in the short term may well be very short lived.

How much is your insurance? Could you consider 3rd party (not sure if this actually makes any difference to a car of less significant value).
replacing my VR6 for max economy! - *Gongfarmer*
If your commute is at a steady speed on a motorway then you should get an economy gain of 10-20% as well.
replacing my VR6 for max economy! - 659FBE
My partner's 106D gives 65 - 70 mpg repeatedly when driven with reasonable consideration around town and on local roads. It has been reasonably reliable with the radiator and rear brakes being notable weak points - cheap and easy to put right.

In 140k miles, it has recouped its entire (secondhand) purchase cost in fuel saved over a similarly sized petrol car achieving (say) 40 mpg. I wish I could buy another diesel like it but I fear this will be the last. DPFs and complex management systems have taken the shine off the diesel engine now.

Excellent vehicle - don't crash it.

replacing my VR6 for max economy! - craig-pd130

Is it possible to get the same motor in a late-model AX, or Saxo?
replacing my VR6 for max economy! - stunorthants26
Id plump for a Citroen AX diesel for ultimate economy on a small budget. Very cheap to buy, seem to be better looked after the Pugs in general and while it shares running gear, I believe it is lighter hence better returns.

True, safety isnt great, but the a MK3 Golf isnt that good really, nothing of that age is.

If you really want to make financial sense, dont spend more than you have to - 500 is enough for a small diesel aslong as you go for the best you can find and not the first smoker you see.

Just a little aside - if you want something with a little 'pep', how about a turbo diesel Pug 205? They were quite quick if I recall and handle well, but still frugal. A grand would bag a nice one.
replacing my VR6 for max economy! - oldnotbold
If this: tinyurl.com/3j9k8u is still for sale then grab it. 205 TD Sceptre- you'll get 55 mpg driven sensibly, but lots of grins/mile.

At £299 with tax and MoT to Feb 09 it is a real bargain.

Edited by oldnotbold on 30/09/2008 at 17:44

replacing my VR6 for max economy! - Dog
Yus - the AX diesel is a great little jamjar, I drove one to Tenerife and back via Portugal and it never missed a beat - until I changed the fuel filter and it wouldn't start - I'm a greenhorn when it comes to diesel - but I soon learn (the hard way!)
Peugeot 205 is (was) a class leader.

Dog.
thanks for the comments guys. Agree that the total saving should be about £1000 in the first year inlcluding insurance and tax too.

Having a bit of a wobble though on the pug, i'm going to be travelling along the A41 which is well known for frequent fatal crashes!!!!

I've actually just seen a 1995 N Reg BMW 318 tds SE for £995 on autotrader, 110K miles... is that just a completely stupid idea?!?!
No that sounds a nice car actually and a fair bit more powerful/faster than a pug and just as economical. Comfier too on the motorway. Maintenance costs up slightly but it will last longer
replacing my VR6 for max economy! - stunorthants26
>>Maintenance costs up slightly but it will last longer<<

How much longer would you need it to last? A 205 diesel thats looked after can crack 250k, I know someone with such a car and its a shed to look at. Still goes though.
I was refering in to that it will last longer than a 106 not a 205. A 205 is a superb car and a worthy alternative. I also think the BMW is a good car and wells uited to the OPS scenario
replacing my VR6 for max economy! - davidh
Well I'm not convinced that a 106 is any less durable than a 205. What would make you say that?
I just think older cars are better built than their replacements as time goes on costs are cut and so is quality, but that my opinion. The 106 seems flimsy as does the saxo as the gf has gone and it is a right old bone shaker on any thing other than the smoothest of surfaces. but as alyays it might turn out to be a nice car
I guess i'm going to want to keep it for the next 18 -24 months.

Having had a look at Autotrader, I actually think the golf is worth more than I originally thought, and i'm feeling a bit more confident about getting more like £1500 for it.

The more I think about driving down the A41 in the tincan that is a 106, the more I think that I'd rather have something that offers at least SOME comfort.....
Just keep the golf IMHO, you own the car you dont need to worry about selling it. Just keep it well maintained and keep the speed seatdy to get good mpg. You already have a proven relaible car. Thats what i would do and it is 10 x more funa than any boring 4 cylinder supermini