Cat D - total loss, what to do? - Lucretia
Hi,

Went to see a Fiesta today, looked pretty good, put down £60 deposit (he wanted 700, got it fo 660 + 6 months insurance, mot will run out in mid nov).

Just done a RAC check and it comes back as a Cat D total loss, "VRM recorded as a total loss by an insurance company" and "D - Vehicle damaged but repairable - the insurer decided not to repair"

I did say the sale depends on these checks. Do I continue with the transaction or not?

Thanks,
Luke.

P.S: I know I should've done a mobile check while I was there, but it didn't cross my mind at the time :(
Cat D - total loss, what to do? - oldnotbold
Plenty more out there, ask for your deposit back.
Cat D - total loss, what to do? - Westpig
it might have been fairly minor... if you're worried and like the car get a mechanic to have look. I've googled the categories and cut and paste them below.

Salvage Categories
Once a vehicle is written off it is classed as salvage. There are several categories of salvage. In summary the categories are as follows:

Category A - the entire vehicle must be crushed.

Category B - the vehicle may be broken for parts but it must never be returned to the road.

Category C - possible structural damage but the vehicle is repairable. The cost of the damage would have been more than the book value of the car if that repairs were carried out at garage prices and official manufacturers parts.

Category D - most likely to be nonstructural damage and should be relatively easily repairable. In this case the vehicle may have been economical to repair but for other reasons it was written off. For example where the insurer have to provide a courtesy car the time taken to repair the vehicle would mean that the courtesy car cost together with the repair cost would be excessive. In a category D scenario it is more likely that the insurer did not wish to repair.

Cat D - total loss, what to do? - BobbyG
The simple fact that the seller didn't tell you this would be enough reason in my mind to ask for deposit back and walk away. However if you decide you still want it badly then it could be used as good bargaining to get more off.
Cat D - total loss, what to do? - Galaxy
When a Category D vehicle is put back on the road it has to have a new MOT test carried out, so your statement about the MOT running out in November sets alarm bells ringing for me. Something isn't right here.

Personally I would walk away. A Category D vehicle will always be worth much less than one that isn't, and could also be difficult to sell in the future. I do accept that the original damage may well have been relatively minor but it wouldn't be difficult to find a car that isn't Category D.

Cat D - total loss, what to do? - martint123
When a Category D vehicle is put back on the road it has to have a new MOT test carried out, so your statement about the MOT running out in November sets alarm bells ringing for me. Something isn't right here.

It could have been a Cat D some years ago so the MOT date could be a red herring. - The HPI check should give a date when it was written off.

Check the date of Cat D and the date he bought it. It is a possibility that the current owner doesn't know about it (slight, but possible).
Cat D - total loss, what to do? - madf
A fussy insurance company may not insure it.

Money back time and move on.
Cat D - total loss, what to do? - tr7v8
sq
Insurer won't care, they may pay out less in the event of it getting damaged again though but at that value irrelevant. Buy on condition ignore the marker,is it worth the money discussed.

Edited by Pugugly on 29/09/2008 at 23:59

Cat D - total loss, what to do? - jase1
Agree with tr7v8.

How old is the car? If it's newer than average for the price, and is in good overall condition, at £700 you're into disposable territory. Cat Ds are rarely dangerous when repaired, as the damage generally isn't structural. Does it really matter if one of the panels is a little off at this price?
Cat D - total loss, what to do? - perleman
I would only be bothered at £700, that the guy lied to you. Normally with a newish car cat D seems to take about 10%-30% of the value off, but on a £700 car that's not a lot. Cat D will probably be fine structrally. I'd tell him that you want £100 off but realistically he'll bank on the next guy not checking it so he probably won't move on price, let us know how you do anyway.
When I rang him the first time he did say it had been in an accident, didn't say written off though. I forgot to ask when I went to look at the car. The car itself looks good.

I can't see any mention of a date wrt the cat d. No mention of it on the mot history either.

Luke.
Cat D - total loss, what to do? - shawad
It's a £700 car - a scratch or minor panel damage would probably make it a CAT D!

I had a Mondeo with a broken headlight and a minor ding to the front wing and a missing bumper (well, actually the bumper was in the boot with minor cracks but was hanging off the car after the collision). The result was a CAT D writeoff by the insurance company. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the car other than it was old, and the repair was costed at more than 70% of the value of the car. I could probably have fixed it for a lot less, but it needed a new cat and was getting to the end of its life (150k+ on the clock) so I let it go.
Cat D - total loss, what to do? - Mapmaker
It's a £700 car for goodness sake. Who cares. Makes no difference to its value. It's only cat D. Welcome to bangernomics - the art of running cheap cars cheaply.

You don't know that the guy lied to you - he may not have known it was Cat D.

I've never done an HPI check on a car I've bought - no point spending £25 on a £700 car. He won't give you any money off, as the next buyer won't check.

It's a £700 car for goodness sake. Who cares. Makes no difference to its value.
It's only cat D. Welcome to bangernomics - the art of running cheap cars cheaply.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna go for it anyway. The car looks good to me and my mate. I just wanted a few opinions on it.

As I'm only gonna keep it for a short while before I get a nicer car (hopefully), so it doesn't really matter if I bang it up a bit :D

Luke.
Cat D - total loss, what to do? - TimOrridge
doesn't really matter if I bang it up a bit :D

You obviously dont trust your driving skills then. Im sorry but that is not the attitdue to have on a public road. It might not matter to you but it will to someones £20,000 car who you bang it up to?
SQ
You obviously dont trust your driving skills then. Im sorry but that is not the
attitdue to have on a public road. It might not matter to you but it
will to someones £20 000 car who you bang it up to?

Note the smiley and I wasn't meaning hitting a car, more like hitting a kerb or low wall and low speed, i.e. parking. You've got to start somewhere and I don't the first car being expensive *just*in*case* FFS

Anyway...

Luke.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 30/09/2008 at 19:51

Cat D - total loss, what to do? - TheOilBurner
At least you're being realistic Luke! :)

If we're all honest, most of us so-called experienced drivers would admit to having a few silly bumps with our first cars - usually into inanimate objects like fences and walls, etc.

Some of us might even admit to still doing it occasionally, even after countless years of experience...
Cat D - total loss, what to do? - astrabob
It takes very little to write an older car off.

My wife's car had an accident six weeks ago. The insurance company wrote it off as cat C. They valued it as £1600 before the accident.

We bought it back off them. I've fitted a new radiator, new bumper, one new headlight and three tyres. Total cost £450. Passed the MOT second time (only fault was the handbrake!)

Only thing to get done now is the vehicle identity check (VIC). You don't need this for cat D.

I wouldn't worry about cat D, but obviously you do need to inspect the car!
Cat D - total loss, what to do? - Dynamic Dave
I wouldn't worry about cat D ....

My insurance company classed my Vectra that I crashed last July as a Cat D.

img111.imageshack.us/img111/8410/02072007209lh7.jpg
img248.imageshack.us/img248/3455/09072007224jx2.jpg

Car was 4 yrs old and prior to the accident was in immaculate condition. The bodyshop it went to stopped the estimate for repairs at something like £5000, and said that there was potentially another £1000 to £1500 on top of that but couldn't confirm without first removing the engine and gearbox to inspect for more damage. Not sure if you can see it in the 2nd pic or not, but the front slam panel is wedged up hard up against the engine, and the battery that sits on the inner wing is raised and tilted at an angle.

I received a settlement fee just shy of £6500 from my insurance company, and was later contacted by someone who had bought it from a salvage yard for £2000 and was asking for the service history as he had repaired it. I had quite a lengthy discussion with him where he told me that he had bought a flood damaged Vectra in the same colour for £1000 and used the body parts, front nearside chassis leg (as mine was compressed 12" shorter than the offside one in the accident), front cross member, bumper, radiator, AC condenser, and a few other parts to put it back on the road. I saw it a few weeks later in the Autotrader for £4500, but over the coming weeks the asking price dropped to £3800. He also told me that he had used some of the parts from the rear of the flood damaged Vectra to repair another Vectra that had been in a rear end shunt.

Given the state of the car in the pictures above, and having spoken to other bodyshops, I and they were very surprised my car didn't get classed as a Cat C, or even a Cat B writeoff.

IMHO, it just goes to show that not all Cat D write offs are minor accidents.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 01/10/2008 at 01:17

Well, I informed the guy that the car's been registered cat d and he said he'd ring the insurance. Got a text back and he said I can have my deposit back if I want and that he'd need to look into what he needs to do before selling.

What do you think? Leave it or get him to knock off some cash from the price?

Luke.
Cat D - total loss, what to do? - bantam7
I know a bit about this car, its my daughters & im selling it for her, I know she got paid out for damages but I dident know that it was classed as a cat D write off, not a word from endsleigh, they even had a solicitor sorting it out for them ? a cheque arrived with no explanation. I checked with VOSA today who said I dident need to do anything with cat D. my daughter was still insured & using it before getting a company car, I would not have had her driving around in it had it not been safe. I phoned around ins companies today to see who would insure it, most would but some did not really have a clue between categorys.
I spoke to a garage today who inform me that they has been a sharp increase in write offs, mostly cat d at the cheaper end of the market due to the increase in price of parts & labour, your ins company are quick to cut they losses & leave you high & dry, it could well be happening to you soon. The damage to the rear bumper was minimal, it wasent broken or cracked just popped out from a screw & had a few paint chips, cost a few quid to tidy up, its an si model with alloys & all electrics, best little car weve had in the family.
I have put cat D in advert now, 6 months tax, dropped it £100 & intend putting it thru mot, given Luke his deposit back ( in post tonight) unable to get insurance, although I suspect he does not want to chance it, which is his right to do.
(came across this after googling cat D search)
Cat D - total loss, what to do? - Gormal
I don't believe it........just view Dynamic daves pics. Here's what my insurer classed as a cat C without even looking at it. Needs front bumper, grille, paint, radiator and PS pipe & reinforcer as precaution.

good-times.webshots.com/photo/2504348050104139395R...k

Needless to say I am fighting them tooth and nail for settlement and cat D since they've declared total loss without looking.

{link corrected - DD}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 06/10/2008 at 20:07

Cat D - total loss, what to do? - bantam7
what is it with some people, luke was too bone idle to call back for his deposit, he wanted me to send cash in the post which i refused of course, so i sent him a cheque, he now is withholding half of my v5 document until it clears, £60 for christ sake what sort of a person does he think I am, I had no hesitation in offering him his deposit back, then he pulls this fast one on me, if I had known I would have told him he would have to pick up the cash. ( it is about 5 miles distance) I had no idea at the time that the car had been made a cat D. I lost a possible sale yesterday because the guy thought it suspicious that half of the v5 was missing.
Cat D - total loss, what to do? - Mapmaker
You gave somebody half of the V5 for £60... naive I guess doesn't really do justice to it.

Next time you sell a car, the first person who turns up with the cash gets it; there are too many timewasters out there.