When does it make sense to buy new ? - doog
I wasnt intending to buy new. I was looking for a 1 or 2 year old car so i dont take the full hit with depreciation.

However I got a letter from my Lexus dealer offering me £4000 off any new model. I took this to another Lexus dealer who also said, without hesitation, they would match it. The car im 'now' looking at is 25k new, so down to 21K. No finance involved.

Im struggling even to beat this price on the internet, they have also offered me a not too bad part ex (not far off book price). As this offer doesnt apply to part used cars on the forecourt they are almost twisting my arm to buy a new one rather than part used 12/18 mnths old for not alot less.

Does anyone else know if other manufacturers ie BMW are making such sweeping price cuts.
When does it make sense to buy new ? - Pugugly
Take the same letter to your BMW dealer - may be worth a punt.
Are you sure they wouldnt laugh at me! Dont want a wasted trip as the last time i visited a BMW dealer they were pretty non negotiable on price, although times have changed i agree.

A comparible BMW would be a 3 series something like a 320i SE at £24400. May give it a go could be interesting
Times have changed - someone I know is leasing a 1 Series for little more than the cost of a Fiesta.
When does it make sense to buy new ? - Pezzer
Pug, is this something you could share the basic details of? I'm missing my 1 and would be interested in another, I spoke to my local dealer recently and got a ridiculous quote.

Many thanks
I should speak to or see him tomorrow - I'll ask, I should have a full breakdown from him - its a 118d by the way.
When does it make sense to buy new ? - Pezzer
Many thanks - I 'll be very interested (the 118d is compelling on the Co scheme, but my heart is set on another 120d.)
I have to say that the BMW 2.0d is like a tin of syrup compared to VAG's effort !
When does it make sense to buy new ? - L'escargot
Are you sure they wouldnt laugh at me!

What does it matter, just so long as you get the last laugh.
When does it make sense to buy new ? - Bill Payer
Merc have a deal on E Class at the moment that gives about £4-£5K off depending on model, but you have to take a PCP. Having said that the PCP rate is so low you might as well take it, as it least it give a floor to the 3yr residual value.
When does it make sense to buy new ? - qxman {p}
Earlier this year I was regularly driving past a storage compound that had many dozens of Lexus IS stacked in it, mostly in silver and black. All with '08 plates on them and with plastic protective film on them. They sat there for months after the '08 reg came out and were obviously 'pre-regs' to sell at a big discount. It is obvious that there are far more of these cars than customers who want to buy them. I would seek out one of those '08's and put in a low bid.
I do wonder what the depreciation of these cars will be though, can't see them being worth much in 3 years time.
When does it make sense to buy new ? - Brian Tryzers
Had a similar experience buying our Verso. Started out looking for a 12-18 month old one; talked to a couple of brokers; ended up back at our local Toyota dealer buying new for about £3,500 below list and barely more than the sticker price on their stock of newish used ones.

Of course, they'd have bargained on a used one but we didn't see the point - we paid cash and will be keeping the car till it's at least five years old. So I reckon we'll get five years' use of this one for only a little more than we'd have paid for for four years in a used one - and that extra year under warranty. It may not work out perfectly like that but it seemed to make sense.
When does it make sense to buy new ? - gordonbennet
Must be a toyota thing, we didn't intend to buy our hilux new either, but the price the dealer offered was cheaper than i could get a used of that model for anywhere, no question but we had to take the offer. No regrets, and we've pretty well decided to run it till it falls apart.

By the way you'd be surprised at the makes of cars that are lined up in pretty pre regd rows in various huge compounds around the country.
When does it make sense to buy new ? - merlin
By the way you'd be surprised at the makes of cars that are lined up
in pretty pre regd rows in various huge compounds around the country.

Not sure about surprised - certainly interested. I would guess the usual suspects like Ford, Vauxhall and Toyota judging by their poor sales - but what about other makes? Honda - I suspect their new Accord must be stockpiled somewhere given the handful that I've seen on the road. What about Mazdas? Drivethedeal are quoting large discounts for the 6 so I guess they must have stock. What about the prestige German brands. BMW appear to be struggling and Mercedes are discounting the E class heavily but a new model is due in the not too distant future so that could explain why.

I'm tempted with the current problems in the economy to get a cheap deal on a new car. The only problem is deciding what to go for... I did think of the Lexus IS but problems with the diesel engine put me off. I didn't really want to pay ~£25k either. It's difficult to justify spending so much on what is just a means of getting from A to B at the end of the day.
When does it make sense to buy new ? - boxsterboy
I've been thinking of swapping my 05 Merc C320 CDI estate for something a little more accommodating in the rear for 3 growing kids. Without seeing the car a Merc dealer has offered me £1900 over book against a used E320 CDI estate that they are advertising at £1600 under book. Both cars are well spec'ed.

I can't work it out either. Every other car I see is on book (or over if it's an Audi).
They certainly havent got the diesel right (IS220) and there are alot of unhappy customers.Ive driven one and it wasnt the best experience engine wise or economy wise!

Im looking at an IS250 auto, despite a 2.5 litre petrol engine it will still be in the £200 odd tax bracket next year,where as the manual will go up to £400 (naturally economy isnt its strong point but i dont really do alot of miles).Also a totally different drive from the diesel.

Likewise I dont really want to spend £25k, however with 4k straight off the price and with a decent part ex on my current vehicle im looking at brand new Lexus for £15k plus mine. Plus there might be room for more negotiation..to be honest I didnt really have my serious head on when i popped down there.

Hence the temptation.

Edited by doog on 28/09/2008 at 23:19

When does it make sense to buy new ? - tawse

>>>I did think
of the Lexus IS but problems with the diesel engine put me off. I didn't
really want to pay ~£25k either. It's difficult to justify spending so much on what
is just a means of getting from A to B at the end of the
day.

What is the problem with the Lexus diesel? I ask as I read a review of the Verso diesel a few weeks ago somewhere online and the reviewer praised the Verso's diesel because it was the same unit that is in the Lexus?

I know nothing about diesels btw - all I know I have learnt here recently.
When does it make sense to buy new ? - merlin
What is the problem with the Lexus diesel?

Poor fuel economy compared to what people were expecting and a suspicion that power is less than claimed. There's talk about a fix although I'm not convinced judging by what I've read. Try reading a Lexus forum or Toyota forum (same engine is used in several Toyota models - T180)

Edited by merlin on 29/09/2008 at 07:57

Thanks.

Yes, I have read in the toyotaownersclub forum numerous people complaining about their diesel MPG on the Avensis/Verso.
Had a similar experience buying our Verso. Started out looking for a 12-18 month old
one; talked to a couple of brokers; ended up back at our local Toyota dealer
buying new for about £3 500 below list and barely more than the sticker price
on their stock of newish used ones.

Did you get a petrol or a diesel?

The benefit of new is that you get a SR model with the extra bits as opposed to a T3 at one year old. Having said that, I have now begun to see 2008 diesel SRs with low mileage in a couple of dealers for £14,850 which, admittedly, has tempted me. My last car lasted me 10 years and I too would imagine keeping anything I buy now for at least 5 years if not more.

Hope you don't mind me asking but how much did you eventually pay as my local dealer is just in denial about the market whilst 3 other dealers, all within, 70 miles, seem much keener on their used pricing anyhow.

As for the other post about large numbers of black Lexus being stacked up in storage - what is it with black? My local Nissan dealer seems so obsessed with black that whenever I have gone in there every model in the showroom has been black. Likewise, I have noticed loads of 1 year old black CRVs and Versos on the market at the moment which amazes me as I just find the idea of a black car to be the worse colour choice... plus everyone I know who has bought a black car at some point has quickly regretted choosing black. Maybe there are so many used ones for sale because no one wants to buy black? Was it in fashion in the last few years?