97 1.9 Smell/taste of exhaust or fumes in cabin - Hopeful!
A month ago I bought a high mileage (210k) 405 LXTD estate. Recently I have noticed that I can taste what must be fumes in the cabin. This seems to be getting stronger. I have changed the oil vapour hose as this was worn and leaking slightly. At the same time I was able to check the other hoses - all seem fine. I have replaced the air filter. There don't seem to be any strange smells from the engine under the bonnet. Opening the windows does not seem to make a difference. Nor does closing/opening the vents. Last week I took the car to the garage for them to look underneath. The engineer checked the exhaust and hoses and concluded they were fine.
Can anyone suggest the source of this, as I'm finding it a bit worrying?

Edited by Pugugly on 28/09/2008 at 20:33

1997 1.9TD Smell/taste of exhaust or fumes in cabi - astrabob
Worth checking pollen filter if fitted (some 405s had them fitted, some didn't). Check that fresh air gets blown in ok through the fresh air vents.

Also worth checking tailgate seal - if this has failed, then exhaust fumes would get sucked into the cabin.
1997 1.9TD Smell/taste of exhaust or fumes in cabi - Peter.N.
If its exhaust you can smell, check the seal round the tailgate. As astrabob suggested, make sure your heater air intake is set to exterior.
1997 1.9TD Smell/taste of exhaust or fumes in cabi - Hopeful!
Thanks for the help. I tried turning down the rubber stops and checked the rubber, even going round with a cloth and lifting it up. Unfortunately I can still taste this. It makes me wonder whether it is exhaust gas or something else? What else is there?
sq

Edited by Pugugly on 28/09/2008 at 18:28

1997 1.9TD Smell/taste of exhaust or fumes in cabi - Andrew-T
One remote possibility not mentioned so far is entry under the rear seats, round the large grommets for getting at the top of the tank. This sounds unlikely but strange suctions occur when windows or sunroofs are open.

I don't think many 97 cars had pollen filters??
1997 1.9TD Smell/taste of exhaust or fumes in cabi - jonlucpicard
Could it be the exhaust manifold gasket or a leak somewhere in the exhaust sytem? There are 3 joins, one on the front pipe to manifold/turbo, behind the engine, another under the middle of the car and a third just in front of the back box.
Worth checking.
1997 1.9TD Smell/taste of exhaust or fumes in cabi - bathtub tom
Somewhere around the back of the boot, to one side, under the trim is a 'flap valve', a plastic vent with a flap of rubber about three inches long and one inch deep IIRC, allowing air to flow out, but not back.
I've seen the tow-bar electrics 7-core routed through here, holding the flap partly open.
Has it got a tow-bar?
1997 1.9TD Smell/taste of exhaust or fumes in cabi - Hopeful!
No, it doesn't have a tow bar. I am assuming this should be closed.
1997 1.9TD Smell/taste of exhaust or fumes in cabi - bathtub tom
It should be closed at rest. When you've got the heater blowing fresh air into the cabin, air has to exit the cabin. The 'flap valves' allow it out. There's one either side IIRC.
1997 1.9 TD Coolant smell in cab - Hopeful!
I have traced the smell in my car to the heating system. In the sun today I turned the heating off and the smell went away. There is no water on the carpet. Where should I look and what should I look for? Thanks in advance for any help.
1997 1.9 TD Coolant smell in cab - Peter.N.
Did you just turn the heat off, or shut the air intake?

tacked onto the existing thread rather than start a new one

Edited by Pugugly on 29/09/2008 at 23:57

1997 1.9 TD Coolant smell in cab - Hopeful!
I just turned the heat off.
1997 1.9 TD Coolant smell in cab - Peter.N.
Strange, seems like you may have some foriegn matter/body on the heater matrix
1997 1.9 TD Coolant smell in cab - dieselnut
Perhaps you have a small leak in the heater radiator & you are smelling the vapourising chemically anti-freeze smell.
If so, try some Radweld or similar.