1998 1.4 Mad Electrics and Cutting out - Robbie196
Help! I've read though a few threads and know 306's are renown for there electrical problems but would appreciate any advice on the following. Its a 1998, 306, 1.4 petrol. On starting the other morning I drove away and could feel a misfire, a short distance later the temperature, fuel, rev and speed gauges started dancing all over the place, I had the lights on, and they went out, and eventually she cut out completely. On trying to restart she wouldn't even fire at first, but after a few mins standing she eventually fired up, still with misfire but kept going long enough to struggle back home with plenty of revs! I'm thinking this could be an earth fault? Last night I cleaned the battery negative terminal, and disconnected and cleaned the connection to the gear box housing. She started up and ticked over fine on the drive, but as soon as I reversed back the electrics went mad again and she cut out, and wouldn't restart until being left for 5 mins. Tonight, I'm going to clean the earth to body connections. Any idea if I'm on the right path? We've had the car for 9 years and I can't remember ever having put a new battery on it, if its breaking down could it be the cause of the problem? Thanks in advance for any help
Something I forgot to mention! After its weird electrical show and engine cut out I noticed the Radio and clock have reset! Am I right in thinking that would indicate a complete loss of power from the battery, as they normally reset when the battery is removed?
Tonight I've cleaned all the body earths, car started fine, went to reverse out of the drive and immediately had another mad attack on all the gauges! What's interesting is that I fitted new front pads at the weekend and turned the steering from lock to lock to help access. I've noticed now, that when I turn the steering wheel this seems to set all the electrical problems off, until eventually she cuts out!? I've also noticed an electrical click from the footwell fusebox as I turn the wheel, this seems to be when all the electrics play up? Any ideas anyone?
1998 1.4 Mad Electrics and Cutting out - nevkdephu5
Hi
Have u had any responses to this as i have had the exact same problems?