98 1.6 Overheating problem - livingnext
I recently bought a rover 216 and it appears there is problem with the radiator as it got over heated. I drove for over 70miles without problems and suddenly the engine cut out. It still starts after rolling the engine for some time and allowing it to cool down but the water disappears when ever it i top up .It also gets easily heated up,radiator looks rusty though. I do not want to think the water pump or Gasket is gone as the there was was boiling and flying everywhere in the water storage unit. Has anyone experienced such issues pls as i am considering changing the radiator. HELP PLS!!!!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 22/09/2008 at 19:26

98 1.6 OVERHEATING - Collos25
Head gasget would be my first choice.
98 1.6 OVERHEATING - livingnext
Thank you, but it appears there is no water mixture with the engine oil,hence my thought of radiator.What do u thinbk pls.
Depends where it blows normally water to piston on the k series so it boils away and does not contaminate the oil.
Also, there was still water in the water unit and it was not completely dry as i think Gaskets only get affected when there is not water in the car. I am considering getting a new radiator but new considered gasket, as the car drove well before the hic up!!!
98 1.6 OVERHEATING - bbroomlea{P}
I would start cheap and drain and refill the system and ensure there are no airlocks. Could be waterpump or blocked rad as well. Its worth changing the coolant cap as well as they can start leaking pressure with age and only cost a couple of quid.

Whatever you do, fix it quick otherwise you will need a new HG.
98 1.6 OVERHEATING - bbroomlea{P}
Also, if you are loosin water check the inlet manifold gasket hasnt perished - again cheap and easy
Thanks bbroomlea{P}, i have decided to get a radiator from the scrap yard and maybe a water pump as a back up.
Do you really think the water pump might be the cause of the problem?
It appears the car was left unused for a while before i bought it from the dealer.
I experienced the break down same dame i bought it after fixing the exhaust.
Do it mean i have to end up spending a fortune to fix it??
Do u reckon the local garage would not charge a fortune?
To do what ?No garage worth its salt is going to commit itself without lifting the head its a matter of try the cheapest first but I bet the heads gone, once these engines overheat for any reason it normally blows the head gasget due to the low water volume of the car.The inlet manifold leaking previously stated or the water pump are the original cause and it goes from there. The K series engine is renowned for it.
By the way if you have only done 70 miles since purchasing it the previous owner would have more than likely known about it thats why he sold it.
Funny enough i bought it from a dealer and i felt that would give a peace of mind as compared to private sellers as the dealer has a name to protect.
Infact, i can't say am fed up with it,would try changing the radiator tomorrow and see how it goes from there.
Thank you GUYS for your useful suggestions.You are all appreciated.
I pray the gasket is ok and the water pump ok as gasket can cost up to £400 and the cost of the car is in this price range!!!
98 1.6 OVERHEATING - thomp1983
how long ago did you buy it as the dealer may well be liable for some of the repair cost.

chris
Last week Saturday and it broke down same day after about 4hours!!!
I was thinking the dealer would not be liable cost it does not come with any guarantee!!!
98 1.6 OVERHEATING - DP
Warranty or not, it's the dealer's problem. The law is on your side. Return the car for a full repair or refund. Don't spend a penny on it.

4 hours is not a reasonable time frame for a used car to last, and the courts would deem that fault to have been present when the dealer sold you the car.

Go back, be polite, and if that doesn't work, contact Trading Standards. Don't whatever you do try and fix the problem.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=43

read the above from on this site. there is generally no such thing as sold as seen or no guarentee when buying from a dealer, that's why they charge more than private sales. as has been said liability lies with them, id be phoning them and asking to have it recovered and repaired, or a refund, you'll likely have to accept having the car repaired but if done correctly the repairs should last.

chris
The link about is really useful, however it says " So if you buy a cheap car on trade terms you cannot reject it under the Act. And if you buy a cheap car (under £2,000) on retail terms from a trader, you cannot reasonably expect it to be perfect", i bought the car for less than £600 quid.

I think it could be one of the reasons why the car was sold in the first place and it appears to be a common problem with Rover. A mate just told me mostt rover experience such problems. I would start with the radiator, i have called a mobile mechanic to come and check it tommorrow and he says he would charge £25 for call out. I pray its ok after the radiator is changed!!!
but you can reasonably expect to get 4 hours use out of it or even a couple of months without major failure such as headgasket failure. yes you couldn't complain about a few scratches and dings or if th suspension was starting to get beyond it's best but for the car to cook itself after such a short time isn't acceptable.

chris
You are a star, i felt same way as well when i on Saturday as i expected to use it for at least a while before having to fix any bits and pieces. I had to change the middle exhaust which is fair enough. Would see to contacting the dealer after the mechanic inspects the car. My mate bought same version on sunday from a private seller and its been fine. Was it my luck to get a faulty one?? LOL
I got the radiator changed and it appears ok for now although i think one of the radiator pipes is broken as water easily disappears from the water container in the engine. I do not want to believe the water pump is bad. I really appreciate every ones contributions. I still ve bits and pieces to fix but its not the thermostart or Gasket
The car is fine now.
Thanks yo everyone for their suggestions.