RTA advice - Alaskan Rob
Hi, I often browse these excellent forums but rarely have anything of further value to add so just lurk! But hoping to get some advice...

While I love cars, I'm also a keen cyclist, and yesterday afternoon was out cycling around London. Going along a straight section of road at about 15 miles an hour in a straight line usual positon about 3/4 metre from the curb, modest traffic and road ahead clear of traffic, when bang I'm suddenly aware that a car must have driven squarely into my back wheel at significantly higher speed then I was going (i.e. not clipped me as he passes, but straight into me), i'm suddenly explosively propelled forward, next thing I know I'm lying in the road and fortunately the car that hit me has stopped just behind me and not run me over.

Fortunately a few good samaritans came to my aid (if any of you happen to read this thank you so much). Whereas the - I'll be polite - idiot who hit me I overhear telling a passer by that I had just ridden into the curb and come off. So basically I'm left lying in the road, until the Police and Ambulance turn up. I'm carted off to hospital, fortunately its just shock, cuts, bruises and a cracking headache

Now in years of driving and cycling I've fortunately never been involved in any accidents, so don't know what to do next!

The driver did stop but I was in no position to exchange details. I spoke to the Police this morning, but they said they could not give me his details (other then reg plate) until the RTA department had started investigating - is this right?

How do I claim against him? My bike is wrecked - back wheel competely smashed where he impacted me, which at least proves he hit me. My bike is covered under my household contents, but I don't know if that covers claims against others? His vehicle does not come up on the insurance database as being covered.

So how do I claim against him? Do I get his details from the Police? Do I leave it to my household contents insurer to try and contact his insurance (if he is insured)?

I also want to know if he was drunk, using a mobile, or to be charged with dangerous or careless driving - can I ask the Police to confirm what is happening with him?

I'm also trying to make sense of how he could of driven straight into the back of me and not seen me (it was 4pm, sunny, I wear bright clothing on a bright bike), I'm sure the road must be covered by CCTV, is there anyway I can ask to see this? Who do I ask?

Thanks for any advice, sorry for the lengthy post.

Rob
RTA advice - Lud
I don't know what you should do to claim although others here will. But if the driver was still there when police attended, they will almost certainly have breathalysed him if they had the least suspicion he had been drinking. It is also likely that they will have checked his documentation.

He sounds an utter toerag who obviously wasn't looking where he was going. He certainly owes you bike repairs and any other out-of-pocket expenses. You have my sympathy.
RTA advice - Manatee
The way I read the DVLA guidance on this

tinyurl.com/38zzku

it seems that you could potentially get details from them, if you have a good reason - which includes

"To trace the keeper of ... a vehicle involved in an minor accident (for example, if a car has been driven into and damaged another vehicle, then been driven away)",

though you would have to provide "evidence" - which could presumably be provided by witnesses or even the police, since they clearly have a record of the accident and know the index of the car involved.

My sympathy for your experience. I am astonished at the number of times I have heard of people coming out with barefaced lies after an accident they caused.
RTA advice - David Horn
Hey Rob - something very similar happened to me, although I ended up with a few days in hospital being screwed back together. You'll almost certainly find the police to be utterly useless unless you have witnesses that saw the whole thing.

The guy in my case claimed that I undertook on his left and then swerved out in front of him, causing him to run into me. Anyone with half a brain can see that this scenario is physically impossible, but that didn't stop the police from dropping the case.

The police should call you in to give a statement and then give you his details. Are you a CTC member? If so, use them, but otherwise go straight to a no-win no-fee solicitor. Drag your bike down to your LBS and ask them to advise on repair/replacement costs and put it in writing for you.

Other than that, commiserations. If you can get the CCTV footage you've got the issue nailed, since the police will have no choice but to prosecute. However, they'll be the best people to advise on where to see the footage though you might need to make the request in writing and promptly.
RTA advice - pmh
Before you do ANYTHING to your bike make sure that it available to the police for a traffic accident examiner (as an expert witness) to do his job. If the evidence is there he will be able to support your claim against the driver. Do not necessarily rely on local plod who may have attended the scene of the accident. I am sure that a Cycling organisation will help you further with contacts. To get the CCTV evidence, I suspect it is going to be easier if the police do it, although this maybe an uphill struggle if the initial accident report is inconclusive.

pmh
RTA advice - woodster
Point of order - the Police don't prosecute, and havn't done so for some time. The Crown Prosecution Service make that decision. Police may charge/report (as widely reported in the media) but the decision to prosecute isn't theirs. You can't now blame them for a lack of prosecution. If you are unfortunate enough to be in an accident, whilst you may rightly know that the other party was at fault, a prosecution would be based upon AVAILABLE evidence. One person's word against anothers is highly unlikely to result in a case. The CPS will base some of their prosecution decisions on other factors that may include whether the matter is in the public interest, whether a momentary loss of concentration was the cause, how minor injury and damages are, how likely they are to achieve a succesful prosecution etc. It all costs money and that factors in too. Easy to blame Plod, but frequently not the cause of a lack of prosecution. CPS are not likely to publicise their lack of prosecutions based on all these other factors when there's a uniformed service for people to point the finger at..
RTA advice - Westpig
ask the police for a reference number. If it is in the Metropolitan Police area, which it sounds like it is, it'll be a CAD number (Computer Aided Despatch) which will be their incident number for that incident on that day. When ringing or writing to ask for it, narrow it down with the date, time of day and exact location your incident took place at, because they have many, many thousands every day.

This incident number, will help you deal with the Traffic Criminal Justice Unit, the local Borough Police Admin Units don't deal with traffic accident admin any more, it is dealt with at one place south of the river.

A personal injury accident is reportable i.e. the police will make a report in a CRB (Collision Report Book) which gets forwarded to the traffic admin unit and investigated, to a degree.

You are entitled to initially have the drivers name and address and eventually his/her insurance details, but bear in mind one place deals with all the admin for the whole of London.

If i were you i'd write a letter, (has to be answered, whereas you can be fobbed off on the phone)see if the local police when giving you the ref no. will give you the address for the traffic admin unit, which will speed things up and negate the need for your letter to go in the internal mail system. Be patient, correspondence etc will be slow, it's large and bureacratic organisation....although they are subject to charter times re answering correspondence i.e. two weeks for mail.

If the driver has insurance you'll need to find some method of dealing with them i.e. yourself or a solicitor. If the driver has no insurance you'd need to request of the police that when he/she is prosecuted for no insurance your claims are put together with the case papers for the Magistrates Court to consider awarding you compensation. Don't rely on it, it sometimes comes out at £5 a week or similar.

I don't really know how the Motor Insurers Bureau works i.e covering victims of accidents with the uninsured, that's another angle to investigate should there be no insurance held.

Edited by Westpig on 21/09/2008 at 20:09

RTA advice - GroovyMucker
"So how do I claim against him? Do I get his details from the Police? Do I leave it to my household contents insurer to try and contact his insurance (if he is insured)?"

As mentioned above, see a solicitor. Get him/her to act on a no win, no fee basis. You will probably have to pay something (disbursements/insurance fee) but the solicitor will advise you. The sol can also do the prodding of the police.

Don't get your bike repaired unless the sol gives you the go-ahead.

"I also want to know if he was drunk, using a mobile, or to be charged with dangerous or careless driving - can I ask the Police to confirm what is happening with him?"

Theoretically, you are now a victim, so entitled to be treated "specially". You will have to know if the police prosecute - because you'll be a witness.
RTA advice - SlidingPillar
Are you a member of the CTC? If you were, a job for their solicitor I think. Even so, pays to use one who is cycle accident experienced (sounds a horrible phrase but you know what I mean).

RTA advice - nortones2
As D Horn has mentioned, CTC employ solicitors. More importantly, they are experienced in cycling related incidents, which others may not be. Also look at www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/index.php for advice. Good luck.
RTA advice - Bromptonaut
Second Nortones advice on Cyclechat (and the CTC)
RTA advice - Another John H
I'd get to the accident scene promptly and see if there is CCTV nearby - look in shops as well as street mounted.

There are a lot of them about.. but some of the recordings don't last long before being over-recorded.

RTA advice - Westpig
local councils only keep CCTV for a month, might be worth ringing the council where it happened......whether they will deal with you as an individual rather than an organisation I don't know i.e. they may well have a policy where they won't do it, unless requested by police etc, otherwise they'd be inundated
RTA advice - Pugugly
They're obliged to by Data Protections Act under subject access requirements - you may have to pay a tenner. You'll need a solicitor as well. Check your household policy and/or breakdown insurance- you may well have legal cover there somewhere. Speak to your own insures before instructing blame/claim ones or you may compromise your own cover.
RTA advice - Alaskan Rob
All, thank you very much for all the advice and comments, lots of good points for me to now act on. On a few of the points:

No unfortunately not a member of CTC, but seem to have legal cover with my breakdown cover, car insurance and my bank account.

I certainly heard witnesses telling the driver that they had seen him hit me, but as I was lying on the road, shocked (numb arms and pins and needles certainly focuses the mind) , in rather a lot of pain elsewhere and (luckily) two of the good samaritans insisted I didn't move to move in case something serious was broken, I didn't see who they were and don't have their details, only hope that the Police took their details (2 PC's and 2 PCSO's were there).

Seems it will be up to me to find the evidence (like CCTV) to push the Police to prosecute him unless there was something immediately obvious to them like drink driving, or the Police did speak to all the witnesses. Do they check mobiles at scene of incidents routinely now? I drove to the Police station earlier to get my bike back, and got the PC who returned it to also make a note of the damage, but now keen that a traffic accident examiner also views it. Given I was moving at about 15mph the damage he has done to my back wheel makes me think his relative speed over mine must have been significant.

David H - sorry to hear about your incident, I think I was very lucky to come out relatively unscathed, hope you have healed up now.

Thanks again

Rob
RTA advice - Kevin
I'm genuinely surprised by the number of folks who don't realise that they often have legal cover included in their motoring or household/other insurance policies.

Maybe we should put together a "Points to Consider" sticky post for RTA incidents?

Anything that could help relegate ambulance chasers from TV to Yellow Pages.

Kevin...
RTA advice - Pugugly
Mmmm good idea - now we need someone to write one of our resident Police Officers or DVD maybe--- ?

Edited by Pugugly on 22/09/2008 at 00:24

RTA advice - Kevin
Have an open thread for a couple of weeks to allow anyone to contribute, then bribe/browbeat someone into condensing it into a Read-Only sticky?

Anything pertinent that appears in later threads could be added by Mods.

Kevin...
RTA advice - Fullchat
Alaskan Rob

The first thing you need to do is SLOW DOWN. Process will not happen overnight. This will be a very traumatic experience for you no doubt.
I am afraid in the greater scheme of things someone getting knocked off a push bike and sustaining minor injuries is not a major issue but should be dealt with appropriately.
You will not be able to push the Police for a prosecution that will be their decision based on the circumstances, evidence, local policies and then in consultation with the CPS.
The Officer dealing should be contacting you to check on welfare and providing you with details of the other party. Not a Data Protection issue as they are only facilitating what is required by law ie the exchange of names and addresses and insurance details.
As Westpig points out; as injury is involved then a collision report form should be completed. Now I don't know if the Met are different (they often are) but this is a national form - MG NCRF/A. This form requires extensive information from both parties including verbal accounts, witness details and accounts, document information, details of the collision.
The first thing you can do is attend you local Police station in person, explain what happened and try and get some information as to what the the incident reference number was and what their procedure is for dealing with collisions. They may be able to tell you who the Officer was who dealt and may even take a message for them to contact you or give you a contact number. Depending on shift patterns / rest days there may be some delay. You are far better speaking to the 'horse mouth'. It might be that the Met policy is for the Officer to submit whatever information they have to an Admin unit who complete the inquiries - I dont know. But again ask the question.
You should not have been left in limbo and it should have been explained what was or was not going to happen next. It could have been but because of the circumstance you could not take on board all the information.
It might be that you will need to write ( they often dont take phone calls) to some sort of Accident Records department ( again ask for the title and contact details when you go to the Police station) This unit processes all the reports and can provide information. You will have to explain where and when and all he information you are aware of and ask for the information you require.
In the first instance give it a few days to see if anything happens. You will not have to do the investigation but you may get some basic information by just paying a visit to the Police station.
You will have to ask the questions if you want some answers.
As for taking legal advice, again just hold on until you have some more information to take with you.
As for your bike I doubt anyone will be around to look at it as impact damage should have been noted at the scene. But take a few pictures of your own.

Edited by Fullchat on 22/09/2008 at 02:01

RTA advice - Westpig
You are far better speaking to the 'horse mouth'. It might be that the Met policy is for the Officer to submit whatever information they have to an Admin unit who complete the inquiries - I dont know. But again ask the question.

In the Metropolitan Police area the initial reporting officer, if Borough based i.e. local cop, fills in a CRB (Collision Report Book) and that's the last they'll see of it. Contacting that officer will be difficult due to the shifts etc..and.. they won't know anything extra, having had no further input into that accident, i.e. no follow ups, no extra statements, nothing. The admin side of things for traffic matters used to be dealt with in Borough admin units called CJUs (Criminal Justice Unit) where civilian staff did the follow ups. Nowadays that has gone as well, as they concentrate solely on crime. Traffic cases are dealt with in one place, in South london called the Traffic CJU. The correspondence from the Boroughs to the Traffic CJU is not necessarily all that quick.

The only difference would be if Traffic officers dealt with it in the first place as a more serious accident, as they will often keep hold of their own jobs. Although serious to the writer, in this case i'd doubt it was dealt with as a serious one and would guess the former advice to be relevant.
RTA advice - Fullchat
Thanks for that WP. You are obviously more conversant with the workings of the Met than us 'Woodentops' north of the Watford Gap. :-)
RTA advice - nortones2
Re "Although serious to the writer, in this case i'd doubt it was dealt with as a serious one and would guess the former advice to be relevant." The problem is the police tend to look at the outcome, rather than the potential for harm. From the same circumstances, there could have been a fatality. As with a punch to the head: in a proportion of cases the victim is killed due to thin-skull, or hitting a kerb. For the police themselves, at least in some regions, they look at accident prevention. In theory, at least: www.dumfriesandgalloway.police.uk/foi/class_cat/po...f

Vulnerable road users should be accorded the same thoroughness when there is an incident, which might have become more serious. Otherwise little is learned about the potential for future harm.
RTA advice - Pugugly
You'll find its more to do with CPS charging standards than a desire by the Police to do justice by any victim. We live with a target driven, performance measured Criminal Justice System.
RTA advice - Fullchat
If you are suffering from insomnia this link to the CPS charging guidelines should sort you out!

www.cps.gov.uk/legal/section9/chapter_b.html#04

But here is an extract which relates to minor incidents.

'Conversely, the public interest does not call for a prosecution in every case where there is, evidentially, a realistic prospect of conviction for careless driving. A prosecution should not be commenced because of technical lapse from the statutory standard where a case is likely to attract only a nominal penalty and will have no deterrent effect on a defendant or other motorists.

It will not necessarily be appropriate to prosecute in every case where a minor collision occurs. What matters is the extent of the error, not the extent of any damage. It is not the function of the prosecution [or the criminal courts] to conduct proceedings in order to settle questions of liability for the benefit of individual motorists or insurance companies. Therefore the public interest will tend to be against a prosecution for careless driving where the incident is of a type such as frequently occurs at parking places or in traffic queues, involving minimal carelessness.'

RTA advice - nortones2
Agreed. But when subject to scrutiny, they know what's important to showcase... Problem is there is little effective external audit of RTA's. Until there is, the police, ACPO, and HO will continue their insular, poor performance.
RTA advice - nortones2
Fullchat. SFAIK, the CPS do not investigate, nor do they set out parameters for investigation of RTA's. If the police, the HO and ACPO are limp and feeble in pursuing "minor" RTA's, then the CPS will not intervene. Even though minor injuries are an indicator of hazard. If the police are limited by outlook, manpower, attitude etc, the underlying issues are veiled to the CPS. Nothing in the CPS Prosecutors Code seems to pick up on underlying issues of policy, and perhaps it should not. The lead must come from the HO, and ACPO. The late Gwyneth Dunwoody made valiant efforts to push the Government, but she probably underestimated the inertia of the HO......
RTA advice - Fullchat
Correct, the CPS do not investigate. But their guidelines influence whether or not the Police do a full investigation and submit process up to prosecution standards. If every case of Careless Driving was prosecuted then there would need to be full written statements and interviews to prove the offence.

Now that in itself is not a problem other than the amount of hours spent dealing and with paperwork. So if the CPS dictate that they will only prosecute offences above a certain benchmark then who is going to waste time with those that fall below that mark.
We also have to remember that our road network, towns and cities are clogged up with vehicles and there are the inevitable minor shunts - minor errors of judgment, we all have them at some time. Broken glass, minor dents - you know the sort of thing. Would you say it is fair to prosecute each and every instance? Realistically could the Police deal with them all and still attempt to fulfill all other calls for service?
Only recently the Police stopped recording 'Damage Only' collisions for stats purposes but will still prosecute anything that comes out of the investigation. Having said that if you are involved in one at the low end of the scale the control response is to advise to exchange details and no Police attendance.

Now as to who influences the guidelines is another subject but I am sure availability of resources does have an impact. Not just Police but Court time. That's why Fixed Penalties were introduced and Shopliffters cannot elect Crown Court. Some influence by bigger issues such as rising population and crime, drugs, and the general slide of law and order, social issues etc. We all know we need and bigger and better Criminal Justice network but that aint going to happen so the next best thing is to focus on particular areas and cut out a lot of the 'lesser' tasks.

RTA advice - Kevin
Fullchat (in a moment of madness) said:

>Some influence by bigger issues such as rising population and crime, drugs, and the general slide of
>law and order, social issues etc.

But all of those things have improved dramatically haven't they?

Jacqui Smith said so.

Surely she knows more than Joe Public and you guys at the sharp end?

Kevin...
RTA advice - nortones2
Fullchat. Just want to make the point that a minor shunt between two cars at lower speeds isn't very important, and there isn't much risk. But the OP was on a bike, apparently hit from the rear. It shouldn't be looked at from a car-centric viewpoint, as that underplays the potential for harm.
RTA advice - Westpig
nt2,

there are many areas of traditional policing that any sensible person, inc those employed in that profession, would think ought to have some form of priority or a higher priority than at present..but unfortunatley they do not

because

the govt introduced targets. Those targets are measurable and ultimately the most senior police managers receive performance related pay, measured by achieving those targets, so all or most of the resources are aimed at those specific target areas e.g. residential burglary, street robbery, etc.

That means the areas where targets are placed are now the priorities, to the detriment of a lot of everything else and this includes anything to do with Road Traffic matters, inc accidents as discussed on here. Why else, for example, would Traffic police depts become so run down, when in most people's view they're essential. If you went to your local police station to report criminal damage to your car, the crime would be 'screened out' i.e. not investigated, before you got home.

It's not right and never will be, but that's the way it is. A couple of Chief Constables have recently rebelled, so hopefully that rebellion will spread, particularly with a change of govt...here's hoping.

There's no point going on about why police don't do this or don't do that..or on occasions when some people state the police are too lazy or too busy feeding themselves doughnuts....they are a disciplined service, required to do as they're told, within a strict discipline code...and they do... they do as they're told. If the public don't like what they see, they need to persuade politicians to change it.... and I sincerely hope they are successful.

RTA advice - nortones2
Indeed, Westpig. Having worked with the police at one time I know that individually they're keen to do the right thing, given the opportunity, the personnel and the right guidance.
RTA advice - woodster
Westpig is right but you may also note that a prosecution for, say, no insurance, will not do much for you. Indeed, any prosecution pending may delay any action an insurers of yours may take. You can also consider small claims depending on amounts involved (you'd have to check with civil/county court) If you do this and properly document your time spent in dealing with the matter you can ask the court to consider this in addition to your cycle itself. A colleague of mine had success in this way, claiming all his time spent at his professional overtime rate and the judge awarded the lot. I threatened local authority with the same over a damaged wheel from a huge hole in the road (It was dark!) after their initial refusal to play and got my money. Side issue, I know, but the point is the same. Good luck.
RTA advice - Fullchat
No insurance then a Motor Insurers Bureau claim could be made on this occasion.

tinyurl.com/2b8jl8

First of all it has to be established whether the driver had or had not insurance.

All takes time though!

RTA advice - Alaskan Rob
Hi again, just an update, the hospital was right, the pain would be at its worst 48 hours later! Kneecaps hurt to bend, so walking round straightlegged, back kills, headaches are actually getting worse.

Something I am really concerned about is I only remember managing to say two things to the Police about it at the time, one that he hit me (I think I added from behind as this is key), and two that I was going at about 15mph, as this most directly answered their questions, I couldn't describe it more exactly at the time - I could barely mumble. I therefore worry that they think I've just been knocked off to the side like how most cyclists are knocked off and I then wobbled over, at no more than 10-15 mph, I hadn't broken anything, so they just record it as a minor incident, the driver had seen me but just misjudged his passing manouver, etc. I'm worried about whether the Police at the scene took full statements from witnesses, or just assumed it was a minor accident and didn't bother.

The reality was far more severe i.e. being driven into at 30mph+ and so rapidly accelerated forward before impacting to a sudden stop on the tarmac at significantly more than 15mph. I really hope the Police at the scene noted the position of me, his car and and the damage to my back wheel and can add it all up, or they got a witness. I know it undoubtedly seems more serious to me but the force of being directly smashed into from behind was astonishing and far different to being clipped , and the proximity of my head to the kerb on landing has made me realise I was very almost became one of those signs appealing for info to a fatal collision. Being hit from behind also means that his driving was far more dangerous =. he wasn't looking/distracted, rather than he clipped me =. he simply made an error of judgement as he passed but had observed me. I know in the bigger scheme of things I've been very lucky and hopefully suffered no long-term damage, my point on severity is I think the manner and speed in which he hit me was far more than a usual vehicle / cycle side swipe clash, I just got very lucky with the landing.

Now linked to this, today I have been trying to find out more but yes it has been handed over to a central Police unit. Now when I collected the bike, I mentioned to the officer that I hadn't been able to give the officers at the scene my full version of events. He gave me a form (sounds like the one mentioned above) and so I filled that in. Now when I mentioned this to the lady at the central unit, she had a go at me saying I shouldn't have done this and there would now be two reports in the system (the other being from the officers attending who will send in their logs in next couple of weeks) this would mean they had twice the work to do and so on! But the officer told me to fill it in, and how else was I supposed to get my version of events across. (Apparently I won't be hearing from an officer at the scene as they are too busy to take my statement). They did say they had a witness report, but no more detail. Could tell me nothing about the status of the driver. I do worry there will be an admin cock-up, and it seems as I didn't die there aren't the resources for much of an investigation.

Just basically my concern is that the Police have made an incorrect assumption at the start of this and already passed it off as minor, whereas the reality is that there is a driver on the roads who smashes into people from behind as they are too busy doing other things to look at the road, I fear for who might be next. How do I now get the Police to know for sure what the nature of the collission was?

Thanks for the tip on the cycle chat forums, I have now spoken to a lawyer recommended on there who is going to act for me, but I really hope the Police come through as while that will obviously help my civil case, more than anything I want this idiot off the road for a long time.

Sorry again for the rambling message - painkillers making me a bit sleepy! It is actually rather good to talk about it though, and the advice from all you guys has been great.
RTA advice - Steptoe
My sympathies with your injuries and the annoyance you feel that the culprit may 'get away' with it.

I am not really qualified to add anything to the excellent advice you have been given but might be able to make a practical suggestion for the future as I expect for some time you will cringe whenever you hear a vehicle come up behind you. For years now I have used a small rearview mirror (the type that fits to a bracket pushed inside the offside handlebar) and usually glance at it whenever I hear a vehicle coming up behind me, especially if another one is passing on the other carriageway.

For the last couple of months I have been riding another bike to which I haven't yet fitted one of these and I find the uncertainty of the position of vehicles approaching from the rear most unsettling.

Apologies if you already have a mirror (or you feel it is not much use with incessant London traffic)
RTA advice - Lud
I once clipped, just, the rear wheel of an unlit bike on a roundabout with defective street lighting in exactly the wrong place making a dark patch. The young woman rider was wearing dark clothing, and if she hadn't looked round at me I wouldn't have seen her at all until much too late.

She didn't fall right off, but bruised a shin slightly against a pedal and was of course a bit shocked. I stopped and apologised, helped get her bike on the pavement, explained what had happened from my angle, told her I would pay for the very slightly (but visibly) bent rear wheel, and asked if she wanted to wait for plod or any help in getting home. She said no to both. A passing ambulance offered help which she also refused. I gave her my coordinates and we went our separate ways.

A week later plod called and said he wanted a word about an alleged traffic incident. I recounted all that had happened and said it was a bit annoying of her to have reported the accident now when she hadn't wanted to at the time. Plod agreed and said no further action would be taken. She sent me the bike bill and I sent her a cheque, with a courteous but slightly irritated letter.

I think some friends got at her after the event and put her up to making a bid for cash compensation, but her heart wasn't really in it because she was a decent individual, if a bit confused and easily led.