Cars are different inside - Alby Back
Some wise old car enthusiast once said in my presence that the outside appearance of a car was its least important feature. He proposed that it was how it felt and looked inside and indeed how well it drove that was the really important thing.

I have to admit that I have in the past, spent hours agonising over colour, trim and model choices to get to my ideal outward appearance when choosing cars. Logic, however, says that the majority of the time we all spend with our vehicles we are inside them, driving.

For example, there was a thread on here a couple of months back which revealed mixed emotions about the looks of the new Mini Clubman. I was complicit in teasing those who liked it about my opinion of their lack of taste. I am now prepared to eat a bit of humble pie.

Last week I had the opportunity to drive one in Germany for a while. What a nice wee car. Great fun and such a funky interior. I still don't think I would buy one but only because it's a bit small for my needs. I have completely revised my opinion by looking at it from the inside out and feeling how it drives.

I wonder if others have been similarly pleasantly surprised by cars they thought they wouldn't like because of their outward appearance, only to find that from a driver's point of view they were rather good ?
Cars are different inside - billy25
As you have found out it works both ways! i've had cars that are real"eye-catchers" from the outside, but were so lacking in something and uncomfortable inside, that made me think" what was i thinking?" - then, there are the ugly looking things that make you wonder "what on earth were they thinking" but are sumptious almost on the inside.
For all-round grinability it had to be my Senator 3.0cdi!!
no...Triumph 2,5s
no P.I
doh! i've loved most of my ex's (except the women!)

Billy
Cars are different inside - cheddar
The outside matters !

I recall being embarassed driving a pool Peugeot 607 in a very bright metallic red with excess chrome (and cream leather) and what seemed to be spindly wheels that were much too small for it.

Likewise I would I think feel the same in a Chrysler 300C or a black Range Rover on 20" chrome wheels.

I also felt the same riding a bligned up Suzuki Volusia (fake Harley D) despite my helmet giving virtual anonimity.
Maybe I'm just trying to justify suddenly liking the Clubman....a bit.......not that I'm going to buy one, I'm a married man................

;-)

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 16/09/2008 at 18:05

Speaking of getting in touch with our other sides.....just noticed that Ultra Violet has left the building......?

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 16/09/2008 at 18:12

Cars are different inside - Altea Ego
The outside matters !
I recall being embarassed driving a pool Peugeot 607 in a very bright metallic red
with excess chrome (and cream leather) and what seemed to be spindly wheels that were
much too small for it.
Likewise I would I think feel the same in a Chrysler 300C or a black
Range Rover on 20" chrome wheels.

I think BBD and I would be happy to be seen in any of those TBH. You want the 300c or the hang-over Dave?

Of course outside matters. You walk out the front door and your happiness to drive is based on what you see. Also that moment when you see yourself in your car reflected in a shop window. that heeeeeeeeeey fonzy moment or the DOH! sinking in the seat moment.

Cars are different inside - Big Bad Dave
"I think BBD and I would be happy to be seen in any of those TBH. You want the 300c or the hang-over Dave?"

I'm happy to be seen in anything that will get me laid quite honestly. Not a big fan of Range Rovers though - huge, bulky, ungainly rear end teetering around on far too small tyres - reminds me of my mother in law.

The early Lexus 400 and 430 would be my contribution to this thread - everything I want from a car on the inside and under the bonnet, hideous from the outside. Certainly wouldn't put me off owning one though. The latest 460 is quite dishy.
Cars are different inside - Lud
that heeeeeeeeeey fonzy moment or the DOH! sinking in
the seat moment.

... not to mention that AAARGH! WHUMP! moment when the traffic stops just as you are gazing at your reflection out of the side window...

I'd take the 300C myself.
Once again Lud you are directly responsible for me spraying tea through my nose onto my keyboard. I'm supposed to be working too.........

"AAARGH! WHUMP! moment" - Brilliant !!

;-0
Cars are different inside - Altea Ego
Damn Lud was that you I hit?

Seriously I did exactly that as a youth, looking at my "70's permed hairstyle framed in the oh so pretty picture of a Mk1 capri door window" reflection in the windown of harry fenton, (not sure if it was my reflection or the rather nice plum coloured velvet jacket with tulip lapels that distracted me) when i hit the poo brown marina up the bum.

I was a Saturday boy in Harry Fentons. My boss had a yellow Capri with a black vinyl roof. We never could figure out how he afforded it until one Monday all the leather and suede trench coats were missing and so was he.
Cars are different inside - cheddar
>>Seriously I did exactly that as a youth, looking at my "70's permed hairstyle framed in the oh so pretty picture of a Mk1 capri door window" reflection in the windown of harry fenton>>
I was a Saturday boy in Harry Fentons. My boss had a yellow Capri with
a black vinyl roof.>>

So was AE your boss then eh Humph?
Cars are different inside - Lud
when i hit the poo
brown marina up the bum.

Never had one in that colour although I did briefly own a drum-braked 1.3 coupe in cacky khaki... Its rump was unmolested by dreaming narcissists while it was in my hands though.
Cars are different inside - P3t3r
From what I have seen it is often the other way. Some cars look great on the outside but are rubbish inside. Although I must admit that I haven't driven many cars that I like.
Cars are different inside - b308
TBH its the interior space combined with compact exterior dimensions thats important to me rather than the way it looks - thats why I like the "short bonnet" look as that usually means I have more room inside... I suppose in a way I'm a follower of Issigonis with the Mini and Maxi, and why I don't hold much truck for the new Clubman!

And also why I'm currently looking at the Roomster to replace my Fabia...
Cars are different inside - rtj70
Outside look important to me. Inside far more important. And when you're choosing from a fair range of company cars new you can be picky. But I did not like the interior of Toyota's, really don't like the Vectra full-stop so ended with a compromise of a Mazda6.

Await the flack. Interior plastic is cheap but a nice drive with the sports seats and diesel engine. And despite the increase in oil price, my average pence per mile is as good as 12 months ago in a Mondeo TDCi EuroIV (that had no DPF so maybe they help us afterall - but do not steal this thread).
The other contemporary car which had this effect on me is the current ( as in not the very very latest ) BMW 7 series. Still struggle with the styling especially the rear flanks but what a stonking car inside and to drive.
Cars are different inside - Pugugly
I've been saying that for years. The reality is until you've actually driven a car you can't really criticise it....however horrid it may look.
Cars are different inside - daveyjp
Jag XF - rapidly becoming unnoticed due to very bland external appearance. Internally it's one of the best out there.

As for the Clubman, how can you like the dinner plate sized speedo? Are all drivers like Mr Magoo (actually they probably are considering the outside!).
Cars are different inside - Pugugly
I saw two of the XFs (one I noticed was a 58 reg - seen a few round here) and agree with the bland looks - I had an (underwhelming) test drive a few months ago - I have to say though the interior was magical.
I know what you mean Dave. I think it was just the general ambience I liked......and the fact that the passenger seat was decorated by its owner , a particularly scenic Italian lady with whom I have a pleasant but platonic (or should that be Teutonic) business relationship.......

;-)
Cars are different inside - rtj70
When the BMW Mini came out my wife would have liked one and needed a new car. Knowing residuals would be good I was all for it. But she decided she wanted something cheaper.

Years later she travelled in one as a passenger and did not like the cramped interior or the dash with the oversized speedo. She did not like it at all.

When I test drove the Mazda6 over 48 hours I liked it a lot and ordered one without other test drives. I was off sick (been in hospital) but able to drive and went out a fair bit. Wanting to test night driving and the Xenons I went over the Woodhead pass after dark. Did not return until I'd done Stockport-Sheffield-M62-Stockport so took a while. But for my budget really felt comfy and liked the car and wanted Xenon's as they made a difference.... So sport intead of the slightly cheaper per month TS2 ;-) Still find it comfortable to do 300-400 miles per day.

I did not care what most cars look outside but how nice and comportable and the view from inside.
Cars are different inside - DP
The unique thing about a car's interior is that it is used more than anything else to determine the "quality" of a car. VW/Audi cottoned on to this years ago, and it works. Give what might be a fairly ordinary car some soft touch plastics, eye catching instrument lighting and up the quality of the seat trim a notvh, and it's a "better quality" product than a rival which doesn't have these features, even though these things tell you nothing about how well the car has been assembled, how decent the components used are, and how reliable or long lasting it is likely to be.

Given that the interior is where you spend your time when using the product, this is understandable to a degree, but I would like to think I would never fall for a nice interior at the expense of everything else. I love the Volvo's interior for its clear instruments, comfy seats, and solidity that has shrugged off 133,000 miles without so much as a rattle, but I would never buy a car based on how attractive an interior (or exterior) it had. These things are a bonus, but nothing more.

Far more important to me is how well the car does the job for which I bought it, and whether it breaks down or not. If I wanted a fun car, all I'd care about is how it goes round corners and how quick it was. If I wanted a family car, it would come down to space and practicality. For a commuter, how much fuel it uses, and how comfy it is etc etc. Only a truly hideous interior or exterior would come above any of those criteria.
Cars are different inside - jase1
"Some wise old car enthusiast once said in my presence that the outside appearance of a car was its least important feature. He proposed that it was how it felt and looked inside and indeed how well it drove that was the really important thing."

"The unique thing about a car's interior is that it is used more than anything else to determine the "quality" of a car. VW/Audi cottoned on to this years ago, and it works."

We can take this a step further though. Just as you're not looking at the exterior when you're driving a car around, so you're not feeling the dashboard or looking at the pretty lights.

It therefore stands to reason that the only things that matter are the feel of the steering wheel and gearchange (along with the feel of other items such as the stalks, pedals etc). The dash is irrelevant.

Put that together with a car that handles well and you're there.

Given that you can put together decent pedals, stalks and steering wheel for about £200, the rest of it is just for the magpies.

From a personal perspective, the part of a car's interior that annoys me most when driving is a clunky, heavy gearchange I want it to be short-throw, snappy and light -- Nissan had this down to a T in the old Primera. Amazingly, for all the effort VW put into their interiors, the gearchange is carp.
Cars are different inside - Boggy
So I take it the Ssanyong Rhodius is a joy to drive then? :-)