05 2.3 MOT and LEDs - J1mbo
Hi all, I have LEDs fitted (by me) to replace the standard bulbs for lighting the rear number plate.

They are bright white, will I have any issues with the MOT? I could swap them temp for the originals if needed.

Thanks for any advice.

James
05 2.3 MOT and LEDs - Number_Cruncher
>>They are bright white, will I have any issues with the MOT?

You would only have trouble if any white light was being shone directly to the rear of the car. If the housing for the number plate light is original, then, it's unlikely to be showing white light to the rear of the car, and, you'll be OK.

There's nothing in the MOT regulations that dictates what kind of light source you must use - if you wished to put this to the test, you could fit acetylene lamps, and still obtain an MOT pass! (although I expect your insurers would want to know about the modification!)

05 2.3 MOT and LEDs - J1mbo
I've merely swapped the bulbs for some Xenon LEDs, they give a crisp white light and it causes no glare. Thanks for the info.

Cheers again.
05 2.3 MOT and LEDs - Hamsafar
I replaced mine for dim white ones and had no problems.
The only problem you might have is about 10 people on here posting about how they will be dazzled and 'distracted' by your LEDs!
05 2.3 MOT and LEDs - none
Could be wrong, but shouldn't all rear facing white lamps including No. plate lamps have a diffusing lens fitted.

Edited by none on 10/09/2008 at 22:41

There are only 6 possible reasons for rejection, i.e., MOT failure, for number plate lamps.

Number plate lamps;

- not fitted,
- insecure,
- with any bulb not working,
- not illuminating the rear registration plate,
- flickers when tapped lightly by hand,
- shows white light directly to the rear.

05 2.3 MOT and LEDs - Robin the Technician
The company I work for sells LED number plate lamps without problems. Provided they point directly onto the number plate and not rearwards you will have no problems.

Hope this helps
05 2.3 MOT and LEDs - bathtub tom
Now we're ruled by Europe, doesn't everything have to have something like an 'EE' compliance marking
>>doesn't everything have to have something like an 'EE' compliance marking

For the purposes of the MOT, for the number plate lamp, any markings to indicate European compliance aren't checked. It can only fail for the 6 reasons given above.