1990 1.9 auto - Front flexi hoses leaking - igglypiggly
I've just replaced the front flexi hoses on my 1990 BX19 TZS auto for the MoT and now one is leaking when I turn the engine on Ive made sure the union is tightened up correctly the other side is fine no leaks at all. Am I missing something or possibly have a faulty flexi hose. Are there external seals that need to be placed before the unions are connected ?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 10/09/2008 at 19:45

1990 1.9 auto - Front flexi hoses leaking - John S
I assume you mean brake flexible hoses. It's unclear to me why these should leak when the engine runs. Only when the brakes are applied is the brake system pressurised. Is the leakage actually from the hose itself, or from the threaded connections at the end? If it's the hose - it's faulty - or it was damaged during installation. If it's the conectors either they are not sufficiently tight, or the mating faces are damaged. They don't usually have seals, but rely on metal to metal contact - although some older cars use a copper washer where the hose connects to the brake cylinder.

JS
1990 1.9 auto - Front flexi hoses leaking - mjm
I would also have a good look at where the fluid is actually coming from. You are working very close to the drip return pipes on the suspension strut. It is possible that you have started an inadvertant leak from one of the pipes.
1990 1.9 auto - Front flexi hoses leaking - John S
mjm

Yes, hence the leak when the engine is running......

JS