2000 1.4 Engine Management warning light - TheWrongUn
My girlfriend has a 2000 polo that has done around 48k and never had a problem with it. Due to the age of the car we were recommneded to have a cambelt change. This we did in about 2 months ago.

In the past week the engine management light has come on and stayed on. First the engine stalled when at a set of lights. The car was restarted and all was well until the light came on the following day. The place we got the belt replaced did a diagnostic check and is just came up with unusual engine timing. It was running fine so the warning light was reset.

All ok again for about a week until today when the engine warning light came on again but the car lost power in all gears and will not go about 60. I plan to take it back to the garage but I have been trying to google any idea's but not a lot of luck. Could it be linked ot the cam belt change and the timing being set wrong or does anyone have any suggestions ??
2000 1.4 Engine Management warning light - Screwloose
The place we got the belt replaced did a diagnostic check and is just came up
with unusual engine timing.

Do you know the type code of the engine and the actual fault-code number?
2000 1.4 Engine Management warning light - lilpolo
hi i also have a 2000 1.0e polo, and my epc light had also just come on, i have just had my car serviced 2days ago, (new plugs, oil filter, oil, etc) which cost a small fortune, then tonight whilst driving in rain, the epc light came on. car has done 41k miles. i am worried that being a girl garages will rip me off, as has happened in the past, does any one have any ideas? is it critical or have i got a while to save up?
Any help is much appreciated. :)

2000 1.4 Engine Management warning light - Bessie Smith
Please verify this but at 41, 000 you may not need the cam belt changed. The following info found on Auto Data CD may be useful:
The belt on 1.2 8v & 12v engines should be checked at 60,000 miles or 72 months, whichever comes first, & replaced & then rechecked every 20,000 miles or 12 months. Autodata recommend changing at the first 60,000 miles, so yours should have a good deal of life left in it yet!
Take you point about being a gal being ripped off. Sorry to say this but its best go into a garage with a bloke who looks like he could get mean and knows his carburettor from his spark plugs- no messing about or advantage taking then.
Could anyone recommend a good vw garage in the north or east london areas. The one I am with at the moment is awful. Will tell you a bit more on this later.
2000 1.4 Engine Management warning light - Bessie Smith
I have and am still having a similar problem to yours. The VW dealership Finchley suggested to me that the cambelt was a tooth out. The reason why the EML kept coming on and off was because there was a problem with the timing belt and that was cars way of saying it was trying to correct itself. VW said that if the EML light signal goes red not yello then you must pull over straight away.